Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As if I didn't need another reminder I'd like to play High Frontier more...

Source with a bunch of other photos.

ESA video animation of the flight path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cook
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now is someone going to post a pic of the HF map with Rosetta's flight path highlighted?

*Because that would be really cool!* :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gardalon Nytrie
msg tools
mbmb
Not sure if it translates very well to the HF map, as comets and their highly eccentric orbits are a very gross approximation in HF.

Edit: For 1 issue, there is literally no point in ever doing multiple earth flybys like Rosetta did in the HF map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Piece of cake."

--Jebediah Kerman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SDxEair wrote:
Not sure if it translates very well to the HF map, as comets and their highly eccentric orbits are a very gross approximation in HF.

Edit: For 1 issue, there is literally no point in ever doing multiple earth flybys like Rosetta did in the HF map.

In HF, points don't equate to a location, they equate to an orbit. That means your bonus from a fly-by essentially simulates the loops through Earth's gravity to gain speed via orbital transfers, whenever that occurs. To acquire meaningful increases to speed takes years; this is simulated in HF quite adequately. Even though your piece only moves through once, the rocket your piece represents is doing it over and over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gardalon Nytrie
msg tools
mbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
SDxEair wrote:

In HF, points don't equate to a location, they equate to an orbit. That means your bonus from a fly-by essentially simulates the loops through Earth's gravity to gain speed via orbital transfers, whenever that occurs. To acquire meaningful increases to speed takes years; this is simulated in HF quite adequately. Even though your piece only moves through once, the rocket your piece represents is doing it over and over.

I'm well aware that locations in HF represent orbits not specific points. Each of Rosetta's flybys, which were all years apart, put it in a different, slightly more eccentric, orbit, and you're saying in HF passing through the Earth flyby once does all that in just 1 year's work? nonsense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SDxEair wrote:
nomoredroids wrote:
SDxEair wrote:

I'm well aware that locations in HF represent orbits not specific points. Each of Rosetta's flybys, which were all years apart, put it in a different, slightly more eccentric, orbit, and you're saying in HF passing through the Earth flyby once does all that in just 1 year's work? nonsense.

No, I don't believe I did. I'm merely stating that since a location is an orbit, it represents movement not indicated on the map. So a fly-by, which is an orbital transfer using fuel more efficiently, represents multiple pass-throughs. Since the map isn't scaled to distance but Delta-V, part of what you're tracking is a net energy expenditure, but it doesn't necessarily correspond to the "year". So the fly-by is a net benefit, an improvement to Delta-V, ultimately shown through less energy expended or faster Hohmann transfers.

What I am trying to convey is my thought that HF accurately depicts the time and energy costs of space trips (at least for the technology depicted in the game), but it doesn't necessarily do both at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.