Hide
3 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Forgotten Souls as campaign overlord rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julius Svensson
msg tools
I suppose a lot of you have already tried this, but me and my gaming group just played through the first encounter in Trollfens and used the cards from the Forgotten Souls expansion as the AI for the overlord, and it worked great!

We obviously got rid of the loot/doom/faith-tracker. Then we decided which monster group would apply to which monster on the cards (biggest monsters for shadow dragon, ranged monsters for flesh moulder etc) and since we played act 1, we ignored the different boosts monsters sometimes get in certain rooms in the Forgotten Souls campaign. I suppose we would apply these boosts in act 2.

We drew a peril card every second turn, which made things just hard enough. In act 2 we'll probably draw every turn or choose the tougher option on the peril card.

Objective actions had priority over card actions, so the flesh moulder collected tokens on the map while the rest of the monsters attacked us according to the cards. Then, when the villager appeared on the map, all monsters attacked the villager.

If you've tried playing like this, please share your experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is a really interesting idea. My problem with the co-op rules from FFG is that you can only run one quest and it is always the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Svensson
msg tools
Well, the peril cards do repeat themselves, but the objective of the encounter is obviously different every time. When the next co-op expansion is released we will have more peril (and monster) cards, so that might not be a problem.

The problem I find with the other coop-variants on this site is how the overloard cards are played. Most of the peril cards bring so much more damage to the party than an average overlord card, especially since a peril card can put zombies on the map (that really destroyed our party the last time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.