Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Bangerter
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_upcoming.asp

Don't know how long it's been this way, but I found it just now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Moyano Loyola
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are quite right! I am curious that they didn't post the rulebook yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow! At last...

Yesterday, it's still on the print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moriarity
Canada
flag msg tools
Oh frabjous day! Calloo! Callay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isgrimnur5 wrote:

Well the written rulebook is like a sheet of paper. The complete rules are in the app... Don't know if that is going to be available before the physical game hits the shelves though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duguayduguay wrote:
Isgrimnur5 wrote:

Well the written rulebook is like a sheet of paper. The complete rules are in the app... Don't know if that is going to be available before the physical game hits the shelves though.

It had better be. Who wants to buy a game they can't play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
Duguayduguay wrote:
Isgrimnur5 wrote:

It had better be. Who wants to buy a game they can't play?

Er me?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Walker
United States
Warren
flag msg tools
Any experience with how long it goes from this status to shipping them out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Texibus wrote:
Any experience with how long it goes from this status to shipping them out?

Typically 4-6 weeks on the boat. Although I've heard that things are really backed up at the docks, so it could be longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they airmailed some in time for BGG.con? whistle

One can hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Put it on a Skyranger instead. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:

One can hope.

No copies for sale at BGG.con They are doing full-game demos, though. Played today and I loved it! Any questions, let me know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Urza47 wrote:

One can hope.

No copies for sale at BGG.con They are doing full-game demos, though. Played today and I loved it! Any questions, let me know...

How long did the game take?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know exactly, but my guess would be 75 minutes from the time we started playing (I sat in after the others had started, replacing Anton from FFG as the command officer). It may have been more like 90 minutes, but felt shorter as I was highly engaged the whole time. I doubt it was any more than 90, though.

The real-time thing is fantastic. I'm not too crazy about real-time games, typically, but this feels just right. It really keeps things moving, but not in too hectic of a way... you have time to think just a bit about what to do and quickly communicate. And then the resolution phase is a lot of fun... the push-your-luck dice mechanic is very cool. The app is very easy to use and steps you simply through everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the roles? That's my biggest concern, that some of the roles might be boring or at least much less interesting compared to others...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duguayduguay wrote:
What about the roles? That's my biggest concern, that some of the roles might be boring or at least much less interesting compared to others...

No, I think each one is interesting enough. Individually there are only a couple of main things each role focuses on, but it all moves by at a good pace, and every so often there's something for you to do. Certainly each role and the involvement of each role is at least as interesting as the one ability you get for your role in other co-op games like Pandemic or Ghost Stories or Arkham/Eldritch Horror, etc. Not to compare those games with XCom, but really, in most games of this general type, how much does any particular role really do? I'd say XCom exceeds most of those in terms of what specific and important things your individual role can do.

The way the timed phase works really helps to focus each player's attention... This is my job, and though there are only a few specific things I have responsibility over, I have limited time to take care of those things and the decisions that relate to them. It makes what you do and the role you have feel important and vital... and they all are, but I particularly like how the game gives you that connection to your role.

That being said, if one role was perhaps slightly less involved in terms of gameplay it might be the player who controls the app and the satellites. But I don't think the person who played that role ever felt bored or uninvolved during the game. Still a lot to do, and fun to be a part of the team and the discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bangerter
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Urza47 wrote:

One can hope.

I'm curious about specifics. FF has given us about 8 cards to look at. Do you remember any of the ones that came up? Tech cards, enemies, cards you started with, even missions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eragar wrote:
Grudunza wrote:
Urza47 wrote:

One can hope.

I'm curious about specifics. FF has given us about 8 cards to look at. Do you remember any of the ones that came up? Tech cards, enemies, cards you started with, even missions?

I really don't remember many specifics... way too many other games played in between. Probably the ones I remember best relate to my position. Some of the crisis cards were: lose half of your Emergency fund (a card you start with that gives you some money that you can draw from every turn); add a UFO to a [specific continent]; no more than 3 dice rolls per resolution this turn; lose a soldier; lose 1 scientist per tech researched this turn; increase panic in [specific continent]; shuffle the crisis deck and draw a random crisis to play (these are bad because it's better to choose one that you know is coming than have something drop on you randomly), etc.

I also had a tech that allowed me to destroy a UFO in a continent with an interceptor, and one that let me place an interceptor if... uh, can't remember the specific thing there... and one that allowed a soldier to be made elite, providing that the squad leader gave that soldier to me the previous turn.

I think this reinforces the idea that I expressed before, that the game does a great job of investing you in your character, as I remember a lot more of the details about my position, and really can't remember specifics about the other players' cards and techs... but I'll bet they would.

And some of those crisis cards are a good example of how this game mutes the "alpha player" thing, but is still very cooperative... For example, the ones where 1 scientist is lost before tech is researched and 1 soldier is lost. Each round you have to choose several crisis cards during the timed phase, and each time you do that you are choosing 1 of 2 cards drawn. I recall drawing two cards and one was the "lose 1 soldier" card and the other was something else. I quickly asked the squad leader player if we could afford to lose a soldier that turn. He thought about it for a few seconds and said, "sure." So I ultimately made a decision to go with that card as the crisis (the other was nasty, presumably), but I had to trust him in his position to tell me that it was okay to lose a soldier... there was no way in the few seconds I had to really have a good grasp on that situation. Micromanaging of the whole game state would be extremely difficult, and so you really feel like you're working as a team, but with individual responsibilities. It was the same kind of thing with the other card, where I made the decision on my own to choose the "lose 1 scientist" card, without the input of the science officer, but then I quickly told him that I had made that decision... so as he was planning his placement of scientists he could factor that in. If something wasn't worth it, then he wouldn't bother and we could save the money, but if there was something he was particularly trying to complete, then he could put the max scientists (3) on the tech, knowing that one would go away before resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Martone
msg tools
mbmbmb
Eragar wrote:

Tech Cards are all pretty bonkers. Like, the core mechanics of getting a success are 2/6 sides of a dice, with an increasing risk of untimely death each time you push your luck to reroll. Various techs require various numbers of successes, and each starting continent gave a different starting bonus (Europe was the tech choice, giving a free dice to the science officer for all attempts on one tech per turn.)

But the techs were made by the scientist, and then given to the appropriate station to use at their discretion. For example, one tech was "Spend one scientist: Get one plane, up to twice a turn" during the timed (wacky) phase. This was invaluable as A) we didn't have to spend our limited, limited dollars on them, B) they could come into play during timed phase, whereas normally you can only buy units between rounds, with whatever residual money you hopefully have left.

Other examples included (arc blaster or something) "Resolution phase: exhaust this card to give an automatic success to a challenge a heavy soldier is at."
"Resolution phase: Place a sniper figure on this card to give one success to a mission challenge you are attempting." (paraphrased, but the idea being that your snipers are picking off the problems.)
Others included upgraded ships cannons, that let you shoot down one UFO without rolling if you had a ship there. Another let you spend your unallocated ships to bombard enemies the field commander was fighting. My science officer didn't like me (#scarcasm) , so I got very few techs, but I did get an amazing one you exhausted to bump a continent's standing back up one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
TimStoppard wrote:
[q="Eragar"]

but I did get an amazing one you exhausted to bump a continent's standing back up one.

Do you remember what that one was?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Martone
msg tools
mbmbmb
It was some sort of global communications kit/bunker. Decreasing the panic of a continent by one, by way of establishing stronger communication with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
TimStoppard wrote:
It was some sort of global communications kit/bunker. Decreasing the panic of a continent by one, by way of establishing stronger communication with them.

Uplink Nexus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Granger
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On one of the Dice Tower podcasts from BGG-Con, the rep from FFG was asked when X-Com would be released. He said that it was his understanding that X-Com was shipping from China and referred listeners to the FFG website for the status. So, nothing new...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Chapman
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lmnop wrote:
On one of the Dice Tower podcasts from BGG-Con, the rep from FFG was asked when X-Com would be released. He said that it was his understanding that X-Com was shipping from China and referred listeners to the FFG website for the status. So, nothing new...

Disappointing, but thanks for the update!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch Christmas may not be a sure thing then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.