Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some concepts I am considering playing in the tournament planned for this weekend. Having seen way too much Franz-Teclis at Worlds, I want to deviate from that. I will not use Teclis no matter what. I may use Franz because there are a lot of cool things you can do with him. I will also give the armies catchy names as much as I can just because I think it is fun.

Slow and Steady

Alarielle, 3 Militia Archers, Bolt Thower and High Mage
Karl Franz, Helblaster, Marienburg and 2 Hunters (forget the name, the guy with Flank).
Garrison, winds of morai-heg, rally and eager troops.

The concept here is simple. A rain of ranged dice at siege. Naturally, 15 dice and then 9 more with Franz and Rally. The Hunter is there as a lifeline with garrison if I draw the opponent's zone objective. Alarielle can heal the Blaster misfire and I got the alternate art one.

Eager troops is there because since all my command cards are Slow, I needed one that is Steady so I could give the army a catchy name.

This army would probably get stronger with a Dragon instead of the bolt thrower.

Next:
Demonic Thirst

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What should I play this weekend? (Eventual poll)
Daemonic Thirst

Yep, you called it. Kairos, Valkya, 2 Bloodthirsters and 6 Daemonettes.
Bftbg, Nurgle's Rot, Lure and Intimidate.

We have discussed this before. This army will not have proven itself until I have beaten Jonathan at our VIP tournament in Orlando next spring. As an option, I would remove 3 Daemonettes and use either a Screamer and 2 Marauders or 2 Plaguebearers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
Depends on what you're looking for.

Personally I'd favor the chaos army of the two simply because it is less one dimensional. With that first army if your enemy has any kind of clue what you're running especially in the way of cards, then even the most aggressive army in the world would want to go second.

On the flip side, if you anticipate the all-in ranged army to be the new meta then you could do the brilliant counter play of showing up with dark elves and 'cloaked in darkness'. A bunch of flankers with stealth that might be completely immune to ranged attacks would melt that force to the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hot and Steamy

Luthor, Franz, 2 Steam Tanks, Marienburg and 5 Bright Wizards.
Myrmidia's Blessing, Eager Troops, Arcane Strike, Fulminating Cage.

The fun here is playing 5 Bright Wizards and have fun playing a double Tank. The Command Cards give the Tanks extra movement or are spells. Alternatively, remove a Tank and the Swordsmen for a Panther and the 6th Wizard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catty Priests

Karl Franz, Knights Panther, Warrior Priest, Bright Wizard and Swordsmen.
Luthor, Knights Panther, Warrior Priest, Bright Wizard and Swordsmen.
Eager troops, shield of faith, empower and empower.

The fun here is with the Shield that pulls its weight if successful at all. This army is surprisingly strong and frustrating. The option would be to drop the Wizards for more melee meat.

Next, poll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What army should I try?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Slow and Steady
0.0% 0
Daemonic Thirst
40.0% 4
Hot and Steamy
20.0% 2
Catty Priests
40.0% 4
Voters 10
This poll is now closed.   10 answers
Poll created by Ronaldo
Closes: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:00 am

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
I missed that there'd be more posts.

I picked the last army though I still think the first army is the funniest. I definitely wouldn't drop the bright wizards in favor of more melee (though without fulminating cage I might go for crossbows instead. I can understand why people'd prefer the reliable damage though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I went to Magic: the Gathering tournament playing Modern for the second time. I lost the first round and got a bye for my second so I started to write the posts during that round but couldn't finish the whole thing at once.

What would the Cage come in for? Rally is another card that could work in that army although it might become redundant with Franz already there. Crossbows for the Wizards, huh?

I hope we pick up some votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I too voted for the last option, because I've played against a version of it and it is indeed frustrating to fight. The alterations I would suggest are Myrmidia instead of Eager, Volkmar instead of Luthor, and Fulminating Cage instead of one of your empower cards (unless you drop the Wizards for melee).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
A note about crossbows vs wizards:

The reliability of the wizards is a huge asset to them. There's nothing worse than missing all three shots with a crossbow or worse scattering to the disk you're trying to free. Also cover does not affect magic. That said, without the spell I sometimes prefer crossbows (though I suppose in our group I'm never at risk of having to play a mirror against other empire with physical resistance which in a tournament would not be the case).

There is one main reason why, which is that a single crossbow is a potential threat all by itself as long as it isn't pinned while a single wizard needs help to accomplish things. Also if I'm facing chaos (and I expect you'll see at least one double thirster) crossbows make an excellent counter attack for thirsters and are less likely to be killed by Archeons splash. This is less of an issue for this army as you have warrior priests and knights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterpotamus wrote:
I too voted for the last option, because I've played against a version of it and it is indeed frustrating to fight. The alterations I would suggest are Myrmidia instead of Eager, Volkmar instead of Luthor, and Fulminating Cage instead of one of your empower cards (unless you drop the Wizards for melee).

Don't the priests need Empower. I suppose if you include Volkmar, you can get by with only one Empower card. It is hard to forego Luthor and have both support heroes, though. Myrmidia's, interesting, isn't Eager Troops just more versatile?

@Velensk. It seems that the Wizards could work better as the sure damage may give more consistency to the scrum manipulation.

It is interesting that the siege army is not getting much love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
So, how'd it go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was good and bad but mostly not good. I thought we were all set for success. My friend Scott and I were going to be there for sure. I was counting on my son and to have 1-5 more people who have played the game with us or who had told us they had played elsewhere and some random person/people who may have seen the posts here/FFG/Facebook. This way, it was quite confident that even if we got one more person, we could play a 3-round, 4-person round robin tournament.

Well, after Worlds, we understandably lost my son for this. We did get one more person but that was it. Just the 3 of us. We decided to just play a 3-player game. I used the Empire cavalry army as suggested by the poll. I made a small change and went with 3 Bright Wizards and only one Marienburg. I got the disk in the opponent zone objective.

Scott played a Wood Elf/Lizardmen army and Jason played a Chaos army. By the end of the 4th round, Jason had been eliminated and I had many more disks than Scott so he conceded.

The game was superfun but the tournament was not very successful. We got some cool prizes. By the way, if anybody has an extra full art Speed Asuryan, I have an extra full art Blood for the Blood God for trade. If anybody has the plastic Empower tokens, I have the plastic activation tokens and/or damage tokens for trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear your son is taking Worlds so hard. I hope he finds his way back into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.