Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Note: latest version at end of thread (also here: http://i.imgur.com/PW6uS3i.jpg)

So, I am not even done painting yet but I couldnt resist ordering 3 of these guys:

And of COURSE they needed a card to go with them right?

No clue how balanced this is, that is why I am asking for input here. I tried to be a little conservative with the numbers. Could probably use help with wording on the card as well. Comments? suggestions? I really wanted to go for a monster that was dangerous in a more 'meta' sort of way and focused entirely on sanity damage.

Was kind of wondering if I should just ditch all combat values and increase the Terror value to Terror[4]. Thought it might be way less confusing but I also thought splitting it up with normal combat hits and defense might give meaty hero's with a lot of wounds but crappy sanity more of a chance. Maybe if I did that I could outline some rules to have the monster kite the hero's, to avoid them if they do any combat hits (as opposed to range)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, those minis look awesome!

Glad to see you're using my custom monster sheet! cool

It looks like you didn't install the fonts though?
I linked to all the necessary fonts right here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Mara
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks awesome and is a very creative enemy. I can't really tell if it is balanced or not just by looking at it. My first guess is that at initiative 5 with 3 x 3dmg hits is pretty powerful, especially since he has so much health and is difficult to target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Devastating, but attack values are right around what a Night Terror would be, with the exception that all this guy's attacks go towards Sanity damage (potentially 11 SAN damage in a single round). The real killer trait might be Immaterial. Not only do the Heroes have to pass a To-Hit roll and get past his defense of 4 to even have a chance to deal damage, but they also have to make another Lore 5+ or Spirit 4+ skill check on top of that.

These guys are nuts (in an awesome way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want those minis. Where?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that this game lends itself to fan-created monsters!

Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Devastating, but attack values are right around what a Night Terror would be, with the exception that all this guy's attacks go towards Sanity damage (potentially 11 SAN damage in a single round). The real killer trait might be Immaterial. Not only do the Heroes have to pass a To-Hit roll and get past his defense of 4 to even have a chance to deal damage, but they also have to make another Lore 5+ or Spirit 4+ skill check on top of that.

These guys are nuts (in an awesome way).

It hits less than Terrors actually, Terrors have 4s, not 3.

I would tune them down still, perhaps giving them just the defense
of 0 (they are immaterial after all).
That could make them balanced or bit weaker than Terrors etc.

They are faster than Terrors and much harder to shake down + the good Immaterial ability
so they should "pay" for it by something.

Other possible problems:

Should not they be melee?

Sinister Wail: grammar bug
Twisting Form: should probably be +6 to be same as Terrors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an aside:

I have a lot of custom monsters prepared to be tested,
if somebody would be willing to make them into cards.
I am not very good with the picture editors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea, and very cool minis!

My suggestion would be to try to simplify the Immaterial ability, and perhaps tone down their defenses a bit (which are very strong right now). The extra roll, while thematic, also adds an extra layer of complication and slows things down a little.

I would keep their Defense at 4 but give Darkstone weapons (which I assume would be weapons with a Darkstone icon or Darkstone enhancement) the ability to bypass two points of that, making their defense 4 agianst normal weapons but maybe 2 against Darkstone weapons.

If you want to keep the Spirit/Lore connection you could make that part of their targeting preferences.

Also, I think right now they technically don't have a Ranged attack. If you look at the Targa Pylons they have a statblock for their ranged attack; I think these guys need something similar.

Also, being immaterial, shouldn't they be rather easy to Escape? 6+ is an extremely high value, especially for something that doesn't grab onto you.

Lest this sound too negative, I want to stress that I think you're going in the right direction and the basic concept is both sound and very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Polly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does someone know what that cool mini is? Is it Reaper's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paterno
United States
Coatesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
opaliy wrote:

FFG Wailing Writher
http://www.chaosium.com/wailing-writher-miniature/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Polly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billpa wrote:
opaliy wrote:

FFG Wailing Writher
http://www.chaosium.com/wailing-writher-miniature/

Bill, thanks. Did not even realize AH had miniature expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome minis. They fit the theme perfectly. Are they actually large? I'd like to see a picture with them standing next to a SOB hero.

Regarding the "Immaterial" ability, I was thinking of something similar for a Wraith monster that I'm working on (using Heroscape's Shades of Bleakwood). I was just going to simplify it to say that you cannot get a critical unless your weapon has a Darkstone icon. Attached Runes would count, and using Darkstone ammo would count. I was thinking of saying they are immune to dynamite also (except the Bandido's Darkstone dynamite).

It's mainly an obstacle for low-level characters, because by level 3 or 4, they probably have a Darkstone weapon. But then there could be an elite ability that requires two Darkstone icons on the weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorsmitersaw wrote:

Elite Advances

2 Should be Heroes rather than Hero's

6 Should probably be ignores Willpower rather than Defense since it's doing Sanity Damage, which isn't resisted by Defense.

Is Darkstone in Immaterial a +1 to number of dice rolled or a -1 to the target number for the test?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kell zilla
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorsmitersaw wrote:

Grammar stuff has been commented on already so I'll skip it.

The XP should be 20+5 each (every other nonstandard critter is 5 per wound).

I agree with the comment about reducing or removing the defense entirely with the introduction of Immaterial. Four defense is RIDICULOUS, especially when paired with requiring two rolls to even hit the thing. Maybe 1 defense, so that even if you make the two rolls, rolling a 1 just foofs through the thing. Also, add +1 to what on these tests? Add +1 to what you rolled, making it easier to succeed? Add +1 to the number of dice you roll, making it easier to succeed? Add +1 to the test requirements, making it harder to succeed?

If they're immaterial, they should have a 3 (or even lower) escape - there's no way for them to hold you in place - so you should be able to slip away fairly easily, if not automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
addressing everyone in one reply

re: the figure size: no clue yet. I just went with large for the moment. I will take pics when they arrive. I mostly went with large to give a sense of power level I was going for (comparable or approaching night terrors - the sort of mid level dudes)

KevBelisle wrote:

It looks like you didn't install the fonts though?
I linked to all the necessary fonts right here!

Yea I saw that after I went back to the file page. I just used what i had cuz I was lazy and wanted to jump right into messing with the text. I'll use the fonts eventually. Thank you for uploading the template, saved me a lot of shoop work ;]

---

AndersGabrielsson wrote:
Cool idea, and very cool minis!

My suggestion would be to try to simplify the Immaterial ability, and perhaps tone down their defenses a bit (which are very strong right now). The extra roll, while thematic, also adds an extra layer of complication and slows things down a little.

I would keep their Defense at 4 but give Darkstone weapons (which I assume would be weapons with a Darkstone icon or Darkstone enhancement) the ability to bypass two points of that, making their defense 4 agianst normal weapons but maybe 2 against Darkstone weapons.

If you want to keep the Spirit/Lore connection you could make that part of their targeting preferences.

Also, I think right now they technically don't have a Ranged attack. If you look at the Targa Pylons they have a statblock for their ranged attack; I think these guys need something similar.

Also, being immaterial, shouldn't they be rather easy to Escape? 6+ is an extremely high value, especially for something that doesn't grab onto you.

Lest this sound too negative, I want to stress that I think you're going in the right direction and the basic concept is both sound and very cool!

oh crap. you are right about the ranged attack box.

I think you guys are right about the defense AND immaterial stacking to be ridiculous. That is a little crazy. I like the suggestion of lowering its defense down to 1.

I agree with the escape value, for some reason I was thinking backwards, that 6 was the easy value.. hey it was late. That was my intention though. I will def address that.

re grammar: I work with code and graphics, not necessarily the best writer. ha. copy ain't my forte

dahak wrote:

Is Darkstone in Immaterial a +1 to number of dice rolled or a -1 to the target number for the test?

I was meaning the heroes add +1 to their rolls but I suppose the effect is the same, just meant to be a bonus for darkstone weapons. I didn't want it to just be reliant upon them having a darkstone weapon, I wanted it to help but not be a binary on off for hitting.

what did you all think of removing its attack altogether and replacing it with more terror?

I will be updating and uploading when I get home. Thanks for the input guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
by the way, here is where I got the figure: http://www.chaosium.com/wailing-writher-miniature/

I saw it when browsing around for models to maybe add to the game and fell in love instantly. ha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
As an aside:

I have a lot of custom monsters prepared to be tested,
if somebody would be willing to make them into cards.
I am not very good with the picture editors.

totally up for it. PM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I had the idea to eliminate the extra tests and maintain the difficulty of targeting through normal combat by addressing the amount of damage they do directly. I totally ditched the defense as a result. Think I might also reduce the total hit points.

Corrected the grammar I think, used the better fonts. Switched it over to melee, reduced some other stats. changed one of the elites for the change to IMMATERIAL. Generally tried to simplify some stuff all around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kell zilla
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorsmitersaw wrote:
Add 1 to this damage for each darkstone item you are carrying

This could get ridiculous. My Saloon Girl, for example, regularly carries 3-6 darkstone shivs; she has two darkstone upgrades from gear cards and two darkstone upgrades from the blacksmith. Minimum seven extra damage, on top of her spirit - she would kill the critter outright with the higher number of shivs. I would change this to just "Add +1 damage if carrying darkstone or a darkstone item".

EDIT: I think the previous version was way more interesting. Requiring a tohit then a skill test is completely new; unique critters are good! Getting rid of the skill test *and* getting rid of the defense makes him *very* easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a D&D figure that could work for this. It has a 48mm (just shy of 2") diameter base so could count as a Large or Extra Large figure. Some are available on ebay (1 left at MM) for around $3.50. Plus you don't have to paint them!

BTW, will you come out with an encounter card for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So the minis came in today, and I gotta say I might just leave them alone with the coloring. So, I guess they ARE a large creature then.

that d&d miniature is freaking cool looking too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kellzilla wrote:
Thorsmitersaw wrote:
Add 1 to this damage for each darkstone item you are carrying

This could get ridiculous. My Saloon Girl, for example, regularly carries 3-6 darkstone shivs; she has two darkstone upgrades from gear cards and two darkstone upgrades from the blacksmith. Minimum seven extra damage, on top of her spirit - she would kill the critter outright with the higher number of shivs. I would change this to just "Add +1 damage if carrying darkstone or a darkstone item".

EDIT: I think the previous version was way more interesting. Requiring a tohit then a skill test is completely new; unique critters are good! Getting rid of the skill test *and* getting rid of the defense makes him *very* easy.

Haha. Well then. I guess that IS a tad ridiculous. I had not considered the massive accumulation of such darkstone items. I like your idea of changing it to just +1 additional damage. Tones it down quite a bit.

I thought the previous version was cool too, I think tying combat to a skill stat in any manner is a pretty neat idea, but I kind of agreed with others about too many rolls and such. Rolling to hit, then for damage, AND then passing an additional test. Thought this method might get the same effect but with no extra rolls, in fact it is 1 less roll (no damage roll). I thought ditching the defense wodl be neccessary as a defense of 1 completely stops the outlaw, the lawman from doing ANY damage, and makes the gunslinger, and marshall do only 1 damage.

I suppose it might get a little easy if you have some sort of average spirit like 3, and a darkstone to set it up to 4. 3 hits would do the required 12 damage. But a lot of characters also have very low spirit at 1 or 2 (2 or 3 damage with DS items) so 6 to 4 hits each.

Hey how is this then? VERSION 4.0, ha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brutal version? Threat cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.