Subject: I don't... get it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
Offering reviews, rulebooks, editing, playtesting, and Polish translation. PM me for details.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I read the rules to the game and looked at all the card powers.

I don't get it.

It's rock paper scissors with player powers. If we're all sitting around wanting to play a simple microgame, I guarantee anyone suggesting that we play Rock Paper Scissors is going to be laughed at so hard.

Sure, there are player powers and that changes thing a bit, but it's still just Rock Paper Scissors.

I just don't get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is just glorified rock, paper, scissors. The theme of zombies taking over does work really well with this game. There is tension as the humans get picked off and more zombies appear. The human's powers do help to add some variability. In the games I've played, the zombies have won about two-thirds of the time.

That said, when I asked my game group if I should back the game, they told me that the print'n'play edition was good enough. A few extra characters and bigger cards with color didn't justify the price.

I get it. I'm just not convinced I'm going to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You're right, you don't get it. You forgot that it's Rock Paper Scissors for $8!

It's fun enough with a non-gaming crowd, but I wouldn't pay anything higher than free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has been highly group dependent. I've seen groups have a raucous good time with it, urging on their fellow humans/zombies and cheering/booing the results, and I've seen groups that say "it's just RPS, I don't get it".

It's a lot like playing Werewolf, where it's highly group dependent on whether or not the game is any fun. I've had a blast every time I've played it, but if you need a more serious game in order to have fun, IHZ likely isn't your thing.

I also just plain really enjoy seeing the ebb and flow of which side appears to be heading for a win, and seeing the swings of fortune that can teeter on every fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OP, Chaddyboy gave a pretty good summary. All of my games have gone much the same as described here: early game swing between which side is in the lead, cheering/booing for RPS results, sore hands from playing so many matches when you're the last human left on the team barely hanging on to your life...

It's just that there are so many other party/filler games out there that aren't dependent on group dynamics, so I don't tend to lean on this when I'm with a group of gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
max raymond
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's only a glorified RPS, but 8$ is not that much, considering all the proceeds go to Kevin Wilson and BGG. Better than buying a contributors badge in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just pulled this out yesterday with some colleagues, and was a bit afraid of their reaction..
But we had a blast. The player powers make the game a lot more interesting, and it played pretty quickly. True, not everybody was as engaged, but I feel it is $10 well spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.