Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Social deduction games are big. This gameplay looks solid. The price is very modest.

I don't get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameplay is strong and ties very nicely to the theme. I had a chance to demo this several times at MACE con with folks - its a winner and works well with veteran players and newbies to games.

I think the obvious link to Monuments Men, which was a good movie wasted (written without strong characters that the very good actors were only barely able to bring to life) is a bit of an anchor around the hype for the game.

I recommend viewing some gameplay videos if you are on the fence on supporting this in Kickstarter. It's got 3 days left as of this posting and has funded, but needs some stretch goal love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
Social deduction games are big. This gameplay looks solid. The price is very modest.

I don't get it.

I discoverd Operation F.A.U.S.T. through some gencon footage, and immediately subscribed here on bgg. Only know do I realise that the kickstarter is already nearly done!

Most games start a discussion thread here on BGG when a project launches - that would have helped. Also, isnt't there some way to add the kickstarter link to the game description?

Operation F.A.U.S.T. on Kickstarter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested, but at $30 for a pack of cards, I think I'll just wait and see how it's received, and if it gets distributed over here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coup has obviously been hugely popular, but I always felt like it was a little too empty at the end. This looks to fill that robustness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game seems to have suffered from not enough of an effort at promotion while being fine in game design.

Normally on KS you have the reverse problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cork
msg tools
I do think that theme could have something to do with it, but I also think that maybe some issues from Draco Magi may be playing a part too. There has not been a uniform love of the card stock used... And as evidenced by some comments on the Kickstarter page, maybe all were not aware of the fact that a different manufacturer is being used for this game.

I think the timing is bad too. People are getting geared up for the holidays and the idea of buying into something that you won't be getting until much later may be playing a part too.

I don't know, maybe some people are just wanting to make sure the final cover art isn't of a big breasted Mamie Eisenhower in go-go boots ;-)

Sorry... Couldn't resist :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pacanou wrote:
I do think that theme could have something to do with it, but I also think that maybe some issues from Draco Magi may be playing a part too. There has not been a uniform love of the card stock used... And as evidenced by some comments on the Kickstarter page, maybe all were not aware of the fact that a different manufacturer is being used for this game.

I think the timing is bad too. People are getting geared up for the holidays and the idea of buying into something that you won't be getting until much later may be playing a part too.

I don't know, maybe some people are just wanting to make sure the final cover art isn't of a big breasted Mamie Eisenhower in go-go boots ;-)

Sorry... Couldn't resist :-)

I really don't think it had anything to do with too little promotion. We had great reviews from Tom Vasel, Undead Viking, Geek Dad, Jack Explicador, Theology of Games and others. We spent over $1000 on ads and ran a $500 contest that was shared over 2,100 times and liked by almost 5,000 gamers. We appeared on the front page of the Coolstuff homepage multiple times, and direct mailings were sent to both Robert Burke Games Mailing list and Coolstuff's mailing list. We literally put the game in front of over 100,000 people.

I am happy the game overfunded as much as it has. I think the bottom line it the combination of theme and mechanics was hard to get across. I think many overlooked it because they assumed it was a war game or similar because of the WWII theme. Black and white historic photos just don't gain the kind of attention that full color dragons do. On the other side people who were attracted to the theme are not necessarily the type of gamers who likes social deduction games. Combine this with what seems to be a lull period for Kickstarter games and I think those are the biggest reasons it did not catch fire.

I do not think the few who had Draco Magi card issues had much to do with it either. I am running a survey right now and of the responses and here is what we have so far:

I think that may change once people actually start playing the game though. I have never been more confident in any of my solo designs.

And hey, all we needed to make the game was $14k and we did over $25k!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed it and am super excited to play it, from the videos and everything I've seen so far it seems like it'll be a lot of fun. I absolutely love the theme and it was one of the things that drew me in. But maybe the market is already a bit saturated with social deduction games, and maybe this one is too similar to other games out there, that it didn't tickle people's acquisition disorders? I dunno, I constantly saw the game being referenced as "Coup without player elimination". I wonder how many people already have Coup and felt like they didn't need something so similar to it, or felt they could just get coup for half the price instead. Personally, the theme was what made me buy the game, I wouldn't otherwise. But I also ended up reducing my pledge for just the base game, since 4 bucks for 5 promos didn't really seem like it was worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rmaia wrote:
I backed it and am super excited to play it, from the videos and everything I've seen so far it seems like it'll be a lot of fun. I absolutely love the theme and it was one of the things that drew me in. But maybe the market is already a bit saturated with social deduction games, and maybe this one is too similar to other games out there, that it didn't tickle people's acquisition disorders? I dunno, I constantly saw the game being referenced as "Coup without player elimination". I wonder how many people already have Coup and felt like they didn't need something so similar to it, or felt they could just get coup for half the price instead. Personally, the theme was what made me buy the game, I wouldn't otherwise. But I also ended up reducing my pledge for just the base game, since 4 bucks for 5 promos didn't really seem like it was worth it.

You could have a valid point about Coup. I cringed a little every time I heard the word "Coup", but I expected it.

But really, the only thing FAUST shares with COUP is the ability to lie about what card you actually hold. The game feels and plays completely different. This is why I think it will do well once it hits the market and people experience it first hand.

And yea, $4 for 5 cards is expensive, but remember that we do it to raise more money to make the whole game better. And the promo cards definitely are not needs. They just as a bit more art variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That is quite the marketing campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Tinyelvis"]
I really don't think it had anything to do with too little promotion... direct mailings were sent to both Robert Burke Games Mailing list and Coolstuff's mailing list. We literally put the game in front of over 100,000 people.
q]

I backed Battle for Souls and never received any info about this game. I only heard about it now from a casual remark by another gamer. Are previous backers not automatically on your mailing list?

Pity, as I'd definitely have backed this one too, had I known.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
chinagirlgeek wrote:
[q="Tinyelvis"]
I really don't think it had anything to do with too little promotion... direct mailings were sent to both Robert Burke Games Mailing list and Coolstuff's mailing list. We literally put the game in front of over 100,000 people.
q]

I backed Battle for Souls and never received any info about this game. I only heard about it now from a casual remark by another gamer. Are previous backers not automatically on your mailing list?

Not automatically. You can sign up for our mailing list at our website.
http://www.robertburkegames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinyelvis wrote:
[q="chinagirlgeek"][q="Tinyelvis"]
Quote:

Not automatically. You can sign up for our mailing list at our website.
http://www.robertburkegames.com

OK, will head there now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.