23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Worker placement games, but with player interaction. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arjan Oudendijk
Netherlands
flag msg tools
My girlfriend and I like to play games like Stone Age and Caverna a lot, it seems like worker placement games are our favorite games because we get the feeling we're building something, so the game feels very progressive. This theme is especially strong in Caverna.

But what we both would enjoy in games like these is (more) player interaction, preferably through battle (I personally feel for instance that Caverna could have used the weapons in some sort of battle system, maybe disabling dwarfs from other players for one turn, after battle)

So my question is, does anyone of you know of games where you get the sensation of gathering resources and building a village / town / empire as you get in these popular worker placement games, with a medieval or fantasy theme, but with a battle system?

Thanks in advance,
~Binaryan.

[Edit:] the theme fantasy or medieval is imporant to us, so I added that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yedo is an interactive worker placement game. The setting is not fantastical, but maybe you'll like it.

Not worker placement, but also Imperial Settlers might offer the kind of building/interacting you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following are WP games with battling/attacking built in:

Carson City
The Manhattan Project
Dominant Species

None of these are fantasy.

...and before anyone says it, Kemet is not a WP game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Binaryan wrote:
My girlfriend and I like to play games like Stone Age and Caverna a lot, it seems like worker placement games are our favorite games because we get the feeling we're building something, so the game feels very progressive. This theme is especially strong in Caverna.

But what we both would enjoy in games like these is (more) player interaction, preferably through battle (I personally feel for instance that Caverna could have used the weapons in some sort of battle system, maybe disabling dwarfs from other players for one turn, after battle)

So my question is, does anyone of you know of games where you get the sensation of gathering resources and building a village / town / empire as you get in these popular worker placement games, with a medieval or fantasy theme, but with a battle system?

Thanks in advance,
~Binaryan.

[Edit:] the theme fantasy or medieval is imporant to us, so I added that.

I actually just acquired Asgard, and it appears to have a battle aspect to it. I plan on getting it to the table this weekend.

While more SciFi than Fantasy, Eclipse has always felt like a combination of a Worker Placement and a 4X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjan Oudendijk
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks for all these recommendations!

Dominant Species, dinosaurs? That's great! We love dinosaurs. Asgard and Imperial Settlers are both also games that we're going to check out some playtroughs of, those seem like a lot of fun

I have a lot to look in to now and these all look fun. But especially those three.

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Germany
Böblingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dominant Species
+0.5 Yedo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus doesn't have direct battle as such, but it does have a ton of ways to manipulate or punish your opponents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster might fit. Not much fantasy though. Good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, maybe also Targi. One of my favourite two-player games where you are directly competing with your opponent to take the tiles to build your display.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Architeuthis wrote:

I was going to suggest the same thing. Its medieval, so theme should be ok.

Edit: Just saw that you are going to play with 2, I do not know wheter the game is good with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
Architeuthis wrote:

+1. It's the game I came here to suggest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Asgard, although you don't really battle other players until the end of the game, and even then it's a simple allocation of resources. However, there is some negative interaction in stealing rune stones, and taking a given spot or building a temple before an opponent can really impact their plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
The following are WP games with battling/attacking built in:

Carson City
The Manhattan Project
Dominant Species

None of these are fantasy.

Basically came here to say this same thing.

I dunno Carson City, and I agree, Kemet is not WP (even though I love Kemet).

Manhattan Project is a good recommendation.
Dominant Species is PERFECT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soon to come out Argent: The Consortium could fit your needs. It's really a confrontational worker placement, where some of your workers can send your opponent's ones to the infirmary. You don't really build anything, though, expect an electoral platform to become the next dean of a magical university. Theme is fantasy, with an anime twist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
+1 Carson City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
The Manhattan Project!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

It isn't WP, but you do get to spend action points to build and develop. It hits the criteria of the OP: "games where you get the sensation of gathering resources and building a village / town / empire as you get in these popular worker placement games, with a medieval or fantasy theme, but with a battle system?"

Kemet. Take a look at at a video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Binaryan wrote:
Thanks for all these recommendations!

Dominant Species, dinosaurs? That's great! We love dinosaurs. Asgard and Imperial Settlers are both also games that we're going to check out some playtroughs of, those seem like a lot of fun

I have a lot to look in to now and these all look fun. But especially those three.

Thanks for the help!

No dinosaurs I'm afraid. The players represent pre-Ice Age animals: insects, arachnids, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals. Also, this probably isn't a good game for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

+1 Carson City

It's a worker placement game with role selection. There are some places where only one worker can be placed, and if both you and an opponent want to place a guy there, they have to fight a duel to see who gets the space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
Architeuthis wrote:

Edit: Just saw that you are going to play with 2, I do not know wheter the game is good with two.

The 2-player game is pretty good. Both players use one color as a primary and then one of the leftover colors as a secondary ally. System is not bad, but the full experience is a lot "juicier"

I think Rahdo covered the 2 player experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Talese
United States
Horsham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower is excellent, I recommend you check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Winslow
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great worker placement that has a fair bit of player interaction is Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia. Although you don't really battle each other, you can affect other players actions be stealing or adjusting spots and building markets that apply penalties to the other player.

I'll also add one that gets a bad rap but mainly because of the poor manual. Fallen City of Karez. Fantasy themed WP where you are building a city in a co-op play but build personal dungeons in the hope of killing the other player's heroes for your own personal glory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
Mecanisburgo for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.