1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you ever change previously given ratings? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
Hat-Trick goes online on Tabletopia. PM me if you want a learn, try or play it.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, everybody. This is my first visit here, so sorry if this subject has already been discussed.

Today, I have noticed an interesting phenomenon - one of the BGG users who initially gave Hat-Trick a rating 'X' (I won't be giving numbers in case the user does not wish to be mentioned), later upped it by 1.5. I've always known that the game needs 3 or 4 plays to be truly appreciated (or not), but I always thought that once one rates the game (especially poorly), he/she does not return to it to give it another try.

Hence my question - what about you, BGG users. Does it ever occur to you to rate game after one/two plays and come back later and change the rating? If so, do you tend to increase or rather decrease the previously given rating?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My most frequent rating action has been to lower my ratings by 1.0-1.5. (I used to re-rate everything twice a year)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I review my ratings every so often. I do 'occasionally' change my ratings. But, VERY Rarely. As an experienced gamer, I tend to know what I like in a game and not when I ply it.

I tend to use whole numbers and if I'm wavering on something I'll use a decimal point so that it reminds me to revisit the rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Usually it's downwards -- this didn't turn out to be as interesting as I thought -- but occasionally it's upwards.

This makes sense given how I play stuff. Something I wasn't too initially thrilled about I won't usually play again, so if it has the chance to tick upwards slightly I'll not know. Something I was at first excited about will get repeated plays, at which point I may decide this wasn't as great as I thought it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I review my rating after each play for what it's worth. I log plays so it pops up in front of me when I search for the game by title. If I think I had it wrong last time I'll adjust it.

The problem with gaming these days is that if you get a bad session the first time you'll have a devil of a time getting it back to the table. Everybody has a dozen unplayed games in their bag that they're fighting to get first shot at. Most of the games of my youth never would have gotten a second play because they took time to digest and master (and appreciate).

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I follow the BGG rating guidelines pretty strictly. My ratings are based on how much I want to play a game, assuming all other games are available. As a result, I'm constantly re-adjusting my ratings, more often downward than up. Highly-touted games like Agricola and PR are most likely to suffer in this way, as I usually give them the benefit of multiple plays even if I'm not enamoured with them right away. I also re-evaluate every game after every play (since like Sag I'm in the User Info pane already anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
I only review a game after several plays. After a larger number of plays I might adjust it, depending on how much variation and fun I can still see in the game after that. The majority of games I've adjusted have been downwards because the game gets a bit too samey after a while, or some element might get tedious, or a particular strategy emerges which overrides everything else, but a few scores have gone up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only just recently started rating games so I'm just getting a handle on thinking about a game that way. That said, I don't have a problem changing the game's rating and have done so a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every few months or so I will look at my games and change their ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure some people do, some don't. Does it matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I rethink my rating for a game after each time I play it. I may learn that it doesn't have the replayability I thought it did OR I may play a game I really didn't like and found out that I might have played it wrong and it is genius. Either way, each time I play, I figure a little more about what I like or dislike about a game, and the rating reflects that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently changed a couple of ratings, and try to edit my comments, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:

Does it matter if it matters? Dude's curious. That's enough.

I have re-rated a decent portion of my ratings. They've all gone down. Not sure if there are any games I've liked more after I felt comfortable rating them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I think it's generally useful for ratings to reflect maximum fun potential. I occasionally rate up, but I rarely rate down. I also typically wait a few plays before rating. I guess ratings are most useful when there is a comment saying how many plays the rating reflects, and perhaps how the rating has changed broadly over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:
Mat628 wrote:

No more than it matters if I think that it matters.

It just seems like there are a number of threads started on BGG that are totally inane. (Made up): "Do you wear your watch when you're gaming?" "What sort of music do you like to listen to while gaming?" "Should I invite people to my house 1 day ahead of time or 3?" It just seems like there should be conversations worth having. And ones that are all, "Some do, some don't" and you knew that going on aren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most conversations are inane, if you think about it ...but even the most inane topic can be made lively but an interesting person or two.

I think this is just a perception of what the ratings mean and how static they should be. Which is a good question. Film critics can't go back and change their ratings, for instance. BGG is much more dynamic because one of the aspects of board games is their replay value and longevity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:

It matters if you're a game designer and you know your game takes four or five plays to really come to life.

The person asking the question made a pretty solid explanation of that, but I figured I'd repeat it for those who only read the subject line.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
I re-evaluate a game under the following circumstances (1) after every play (2) upon normal reflection (3) contemplating trades and downsizing (4) comparing similar titles (5) whenever the mood strikes me.

In short, I re-evaluate often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mat628 wrote:
bobcatpoet wrote:
Mat628 wrote:

No more than it matters if I think that it matters.

It just seems like there are a number of threads started on BGG that are totally inane. (Made up): "Do you wear your watch when you're gaming?" "What sort of music do you like to listen to while gaming?" "Should I invite people to my house 1 day ahead of time or 3?" It just seems like there should be conversations worth having. And ones that are all, "Some do, some don't" and you knew that going on aren't.

Ah, you're new to the internet. I totally understand. As you use it more, you will, hopefully, get used to the fact that people are interested in things you're not. It will take a while (or, possibly, your whole life).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
Hat-Trick goes online on Tabletopia. PM me if you want a learn, try or play it.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:

My intention was to see which factors motivate people to re-rate games, especially when increasing previously given ratings. Normally, I would expect somebody who rated a game lowly, never to come back to it again, thus leaving the rating as it was. It seemed strange that somebody who did not appreciate the game after the initial play and expressed his/her opinion in the form of rating, would still decide to give it another go and reevaluate the rating - that is a rarity in my opinion and I was curious what stood behind this kind of behaviour. That's all as far as my motivation was concerned.

As for 'does it matter' question, if we were to follow that path, we would inevitably reach the conclusion that nothing really matters - it is all just a matter of assigning importance to things which in broader spectrum have no significance whatsoever. This significance, however, makes life so unique and get us going; and the same here: one could ask 'does it matter' in every single thread and would definitely find users to whom it does and the ones to whom it does not. Normally, I would expect the former to participate, and the latter to give up on a given thread. But devoting time and effort just to write to somebody who is just starting here 'does it matter (what you have to say)'? If you ask me - this is just being unkind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I reevaluate my ranking on a game every time I play it. Sometimes it goes up, sometimes down.

For what it's worth, I tend to use the suggested BGG scale which focuses on desire to play (as opposed to, say, level of fun or comparison to an "ideal"). If I still want to play again after I just played it, that speaks well of the game and I feel like that's a good time to reevaluate.

Sometimes, this results in games getting a higher ranking as I get over initial play noobishness and come to appreciate the deeper design.

About once or twice a year, I'll also go back and re-rate everything in my collection. Sometimes a game seems great when I first play it, but then I find that I never really want to play it again and always prefer something else. So that re-rating tends to result in many more decreases than increases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I'm beginning to re-evaluate this thread. I was very in favor of it early on, now not so much.

I was initially very cool on Thunder Alley, which is a very broody game for its racing theme. Friends talked me into another play and I discovered methods that I hadn't considered before, which really let me stick a shiv into my fellow players with cards that I had previously thought were losers. So the rating went up. Again, it took another play at the game for that to happen.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have on a few occasions changed a rating, this is when I initially rate a game either after only a couple of plays (or in one case from memory, not having played it for years). Then after more plays changing my opinion of a game as more is revealed about it's game play.

I seem to recall only increasing a rating, but may be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do change my ratings constantly, especially when I had a particularly good play or consistently bad ones. I realize that as I play some games more and learn their nuances/run out of variability for them, my ratings can fluctuate quite a bit.

Mat628 wrote:

Even if it doesn't matter that much, there's no need to be an ass about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A rating change could happen due to the fact that another game came out and thus fired the previous one. Also, finally "getting" a game can give it a boost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.