Subject: FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Rules [+] [View All]
Marco Pranzo
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
Actions:

When a Revolution action is played, any other players in later turn order still get to play their current face-up actions before the Turn End procedure starts.

The only way to recover a Power Cube from the map is with the Exploit action and you will lose VPs when you do it.

A solid hex means “Do the whole action”. A dotted hex means “When you do this action, then…”.

Advisors:

In a current standard game you will never need to shuffle the Advisor deck. But it may happen when playing with Civilization Goals.

Advisor Schliemann’s Tourism hex should be solid; you perform a complete basic Tourism action and you recover 2 cards from the Discard queue.

Schliemann can be played even if the player has not yet reached the technolgy level 12.

Matrix:

If a player lose a level (technology or military) he also lose the ability associated to the level but not the bonus gained. Additionally, once the lost level is gained again the ability and the bonus are gained again. For instance a player has technology level 16 and lose one level; when the level 16 is gained again 6 VP are scored (for the second time).

Wonders:

Wonders cannot destroy themselves.

When determining the number of Wonders to draw, do not count Civbots.

Wonders cannot be activated when they are acquired; they must wait until the next Action, which could be in the same Action round.

When a Wonder is re-activated, it can be immediately activated again.

Civbots:

Civbot are placed on the map following the turn order.

Civbots start with all 8 cubes available and 1 cube on the difficulty level. They do not gain power cubes during the game.

For dual action Civbot cards both actions are performed, the top one first.

Civbots gain VP for an action only if it is specified on the action card. In other words with the dual card Technology/Military they do not gain VP.

When a Civbot cannot perform the action (Military, Technology, Art) it still gets 1 VP if the card specifies it.

If a Civbot plays Military/Technology while at level 16, he gets 2 VP instead of the level plus 1 VP (if specified on the card).

When determining the number of Wonders to draw, do not count Civbots; they are not players.

Civbots score in the same Turn Ends as humans; i.e. they don’t score Territory bonuses unless there is a Territory bonus icon.

Civbots that lose their last Power Cube on the map are eliminated completely from the game and they do not enter in game anymore.

Civbots can wage war also at tech level 1.

Civbots do not gain 6 VP for reaching level 16 in military or technology.

If the Civbot has no available Power Cubes, the expansion is not performed.

Territories:

The Flag icon on Leaders and Wonders means presence in a territory; you do not have to be the sole occupier.

“Adjacent” includes being in the same territory.

Events:

Thermopilis: In order to play a Raid card the player has to discard an additional card (Action or Advisor) at his choice.

Black death/Costantinopolis Siege: As long as the player has no technology/militery level to lose the event produces no effects.

Golden Era:

The Golden Era action (Spend 1 Power Cubes to flip a Token OR Activate the Golden Era) is a free action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Pranzo
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
Hi guys,

first of all, sorry for the delay modest
I received my copy only recently and I preferred to wait instead of giving out wrong answers!

I have taken the open questions to answer them once and officially.

I really want to thank all of you for your patience and for collecting them and trying to help each other!

Hope it will be better now. Of course if there are other open questions I'll try to answer them quickly.

Have fun!
M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Marco,

Good to see you here now and this is a help in clarifying some things.
Unfortunately, it brings up at least one new thing to my mind.

In Civbot section, you mention they can war at Tech 1; then, logically, they can Navigate also, since they are not playing by the rules for Tech. Is this your intention?

Please clarify re-activating wonders usage – specifically, if one re-activates a wonder that was activated as a result of action 1, can that wonder be activated again immediately; or, does it have to wait for another discrete action to activate again?

I don’t have my copy yet, but based on the picture of the Vesuvius event I have this query:
Every action played by every player during that turn will cost 2VP; so if Vesuvius comes out at the beginning of the game, everyone is going to be down at least 6-8 VP; 6 if they play a non-action advisor. At least the deck is face up so you can see the event for the next turn ahead….erk….

Personally, I note that it’s very easy to ‘set up’ a civbot for a first turn kill; at this time, I plan to give them a one turn immunity to player war when I use them…of course, it’s not official; but I don’t see the point of putting them into a game just to see who can knock them out the fastest right off the bat. And, depending on how the game itself is received with my group, I might have additional cards made up so that the civbots can do their actions during the turn order just as the players do and see how this effects their performance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Pranzo
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
tabpub wrote:

In Civbot section, you mention they can war at Tech 1; then, logically, they can Navigate also, since they are not playing by the rules for Tech. Is this your intention?

Yes. It seems that Navigation cannot be ignored, while removing the constraint on the War (it is acquired at the first technological improvement) simplify the game without modifying too much the gameplay.

tabpub wrote:

Personally, I note that it’s very easy to ‘set up’ a civbot for a first turn kill;

Well it can be done but it's not that trivial, it requires 1 tech, 1 military, 1 exploit to recover cubes, 1 expansion, 1 war and nobody interrupting with a revolution.

tabpub wrote:

I might have additional cards made up so that the civbots can do their actions during the turn order just as the players do and see how this effects their performance.

Let me know how it works! I discarded that option because I considered it too fiddly but if you prefer it, it can be tweaked to make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
raist_idg wrote:
tabpub wrote:

Yes. It seems that Navigation cannot be ignored, while removing the constraint on the War (it is acquired at the first technological improvement) simplify the game without modifying too much the gameplay.

Sorry, I don't follow this; perhaps a re-phrasing is in order....:what, if any, of the Tech bonuses apply to Civbots; some of which include, War, Navigation, AdvWar. I would think that normally the civbot would operate based on whatever level its tech was at if applicable( as in AdvMil does nothing for it as it's entirely card based; but AdvWar would gain it the extra VP, etc)

tabpub wrote:

Personally, I note that it’s very easy to ‘set up’ a civbot for a first turn kill;

raist_idg wrote:

Well it can be done but it's not that trivial, it requires 1 tech, 1 military, 1 exploit to recover cubes, 1 expansion, 1 war and nobody interrupting with a revolution.

Was there a change to setup? You have 3 cubes in available; no need to exploit as I see it; 1 tech, 1 mil, 1 expand and war...4 actions, un-blockable as an opening move.

tabpub wrote:

I might have additional cards made up so that the civbots can do their actions during the turn order just as the players do and see how this effects their performance.

raist_idg wrote:

Let me know how it works! I discarded that option because I considered it too fiddly but if you prefer it, it can be tweaked to make it work.

I will; actually just thinking it over, doesn't require cards to be made. Take a normal playing card deck, assign a value (ACE=War, for example) to each civbot card, make a stack of cards for each civbot and put them next to the board. When it's the civbot's turn in order, flip and execute a card. They continue until they're out of cards or revolution occurs; on revolution resolution, each civbot allowed to finish off it's allotted # of cards if not reached during normal play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Poisy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one more clarification about : Black death/Costantinopolis Siege.

Does the border block the loss ?

If you gain a level again should we get the bonus again ?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thomasser
United States
Bowmansville
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tabpub wrote:

raist_idg wrote:

tabpub wrote:

Was there a change to setup? You have 3 cubes in available; no need to exploit as I see it; 1 tech, 1 mil, 1 expand and war...4 actions, un-blockable as an opening move.

At start of turn 1 you have 2 cubes available. 4(start) - 1(placed in used pile) - 1(placed on a territory).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JayThomas wrote:
tabpub wrote:

raist_idg wrote:

tabpub wrote:

At start of turn 1 you have 2 cubes available. 4(start) - 1(placed in used pile) - 1(placed on a territory).

Quite right; didn't have the game yet and was working from my head (rather than the rules...never a good idea....) and was contradicting the designer on top of that....erk...please consider my statement quoted above to be retracted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Pranzo
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Matinciel

Yes the border block the loss and if you gain the level you get the bonus again. See the comment on "matrix" section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Pranzo
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
@Rob: No problem in contradicting me!

while regarding the war and navigation i was a bit too cryptic, i think a sentence was missing. Anyway the idea is:
having a civbot declaring war at tech 1 is not so important in the whole game economy and so i preferred to remove that marginal rule. While on the other hand the effect of navigation cannot be skipped because it's too important and game changing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Virzo
Italy
Latina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marco, I'm one of your italian backers, I'll have one question about Advisors.

Advisors which give an Action, for example Schliemann wich grants me a Tourism Action, do the give always only the basic version of the Action?

Or, if I fulfill the matrix requirements for the Advanced version of Action granted, I may choose the more powerful move?

Thanks in advance and congratulations for this really cool boardgame!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mobydick
France
flag msg tools
I have a question on the FAQ above, about points for which the formulation is slightly ambiguous (to me at least).

Quote:
If a Civbot plays Military/Technology while at level 16, he gets 2 VP instead of the level plus 1 VP (if specified on the card).

does it mean that the Civbot gets 3 VPs when at max mil / tech with the mil OR tech card? or just 2 VPs? not sure about what the 'instead' applies to in the above sentence (instead of the level only, or instead of the level+1VP).

EDIT: another point needing confirmation. is a territory considered available for a Civbot if occupied by both a lower-mil Civ(bot) and a higher-mil Civ(bot)? i would personally say no (since this territory cannot be gained through wars) but again, it looks as if some interpret the existing rule in different ways.

is it possible to have an official confirmation on these points? thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buzz Boke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 questions about Civbots.
1) They score territory bonus at turn end or not?
2) Wich Leader points CivBots win? The whole points of all players card divided by civbot number? the sum of won points by all players divided by civbots number?
May some one respond me? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian St. John
msg tools
This recently came up on the forum:

Assuming all territories are occupied when a Civbot performs an Expansion Action, what will the bot do in the following situation:

The territory with the highest number is co-occupied by one player/bot with a weaker military and one entity with a stronger military than the bot performing the action.

The Civbot could now
a) expand to that territory because it has a civilization present that it can beat with its subsequent War Action

or

b) not expand there because it has also a stronger civ present which might immediately beat the Civbot in a subsequent war on its own turn. The bot then checks the next-most desirable territory as per the rules.

The rules are not clear about that because they don't indicate if "a civ with a lower military level" must be the sole inhabitant of the territory in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian,

I know there are clearly two interpretations on this one, having read the thread, but I come down on the side of the Civbot will Expand into an area which contains both a militarily stronger and weaker opponent, as the existence of the weaker opponent trumps the existence of the stronger opponent.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Dempsey
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello Marco,

I have a question on the printed rules versus the FAQ above. I was playing in a game when the "Black Death" event came up. The FAQ states:

raist_idg wrote:

Events:

Thermopilis: In order to play a Raid card the player has to discard an additional card (Action or Advisor) at his choice.

Black death/Costantinopolis Siege: As long as the player has no technology/militery level to lose the event produces no effects.

However, the English rules state:

"The effect of the Events must take place before the resolution of the action: If the player cannot provide the Event request, his Action has no effect."

In our game this Event came out early and two of four players were up against the military wall of the matrix. Based on the rule book, any Action taken by the players against the wall would have no effect, meaning they could effectively do nothing (except use advisers) until the event was replaced. They would have to play cards as usual, since there is no way to avoid playing cards, but they would not get to do the actions. To keep the game from breaking we decided that the Revolution card would still trigger the next Turn, even with no effect, as no players had enough levels of technology to play the required number of cards before losing all their technology levels. This interpretation was still pretty brutal but seemed more fair than the FAQ implementation which would have been an amazing benefit for the players against the military wall (who would have no penalty) while wiping out anyone who had gone along the technology wall instead. I suppose that could be thematic, with nomadic barbarians suffering less from plagues, but it does appear to contradict the rule book. So, is the rule book right or should it read like the FAQ: "If the player cannot provide the Event request, the Event has no effect."?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Ukrop
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone notice that FAQ 1.0 link appeared at Giochix website?
It contains questions that Marco had answered in this thread.

http://www.giochix.it/scheda.php?item=3582&crowd=0&lingua=0

PS: I wonder why are the PDFs from Giochix always zipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Above, it says "The only way to recover a Power Cube from the map is with the Exploit action and you will lose VPs when you do it." In that section of the rules the only mention of losing VP's is "If a player abandons a territory by removing his cube, then the player loses VP equal to the value of the VP token."

What happens if you exploit, but don't abandon a territory? I don't see anything in the rules to suggest VP's are lost if you don't abandon a territory. If, for some reason, there really is a need to lose VP's due to the exploit action, then how many are lost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't say there was a problem,I asked a question. The question was what if you exploit without abandoning?

The reason I asked is because the wording above says "...and you *will* lose VPs when you do it..." as opposed to "...and you *might* lose VPs when you do it...". In other words, as stated in the FAQ, it is certain VPs will be lost as opposed to VPs could possibly be lost (i.e., the territory is abandoned).

So, is it a certainty that points will be lost when the exploit action is played, even if a territory isn't abandoned, or just a possibility that is triggered in the case of abandonment? If the latter, then the statement in the FAQ should probably be updated to say *might* instead of *will*.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khoral Das Omen
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
schemaman wrote:
"...and you *will* lose VPs when you do it..."

"it" refers to
Quote:
recover a Power Cube from the map

So yes, it is certain VPs will be lost if you recover a Power Cube from the map (whatever the reason).

If you don't recover a Power Cube from the map, you won't lose VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Khoral. I thought "it" meant exploit as opposed to recover from map.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assume there are three players: A, B and C. All of them reached the technology level allowing them to play 2 cards a turn. The turn order is A B C.

What is the correct play scenario:

A card 1, card 2
B card 1, card 2
C card 1, card 2

or

A card 1
B card 1
C card 1
A card 2
B card 2
C card 2

I was taught this game by my friends, and they used the second scenario (ABC ABC). Now I read the rules, and the rules say "In Turn order, players resolve all of their played Action cards." which, in my opinion, means the first scenario (AA BB CC). Were we playing this correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
m_knox wrote:
Were we playing this correctly?

m_knox wrote:
and the rules say "In Turn order, players resolve all of their played Action cards."

You've answered your own question but I understand wanting to get confirmation. No you did not play correctly. Each player would resolve all of their played actions cards before moving on to the next player. So player A would resolve one or two action cards (depending on how many they played) and then player B etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Allen
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raist_idg wrote:
Actions:

A dotted hex means “When you do this action, then…”.

I still don't understand what this means. In this thread, there is the comment:

Loanstar wrote:

The last type of wonder is those that can only be activated when you have just completed a certain action. Persepolis is one of those. It can be activated when you just finished resolving a Military Action and allows you to recover the cube spent (or one of the cubes spent if you use Advanced Military).

which would imply that 'activation', as used on the symbol legend sheet, means 'resolved' for a given action. I consider the FAQ answer of "when you do this action" ambiguous since I am doing an action before and after it resolves if it is the current action under consideration in a given action round.

The specific scenario I'd like clarification on is the same as the above thread - can I use Persepolis when I have no cubes available to gain a cube prior to resolving the military action if it is the next action card for me to resolve?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mobydick wrote:
I have a question on the FAQ above, about points for which the formulation is slightly ambiguous (to me at least).

Quote:

does it mean that the Civbot gets 3 VPs when at max mil / tech with the mil OR tech card? or just 2 VPs? not sure about what the 'instead' applies to in the above sentence (instead of the level only, or instead of the level+1VP).

Was this ever resolved? If a Civbot is at maximium Military, and plays the Mil+Tech card, does it get 2VP? Or does the 2VP only replace 1VP, as on the singular action card?

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.