Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this should be called Nasir Loves Ice...

This is a Nasir deck I've been having a lot of fun with. Obviously, this is derivative of several other Nasir decks. I think what makes it new and/or novel (or at least new to me) is the inclusion of a full suite of Shutdowns and Crescentuses (Crescenti?) to reset ice. Rather than burning ice down, you leave it in place, so the corp can once again pay you for the privilege of running their servers.

Also, the full suite of perma-boost breakers are included so you can use your pre-encounter money to boost strength and your on-encounter money to break. It occurred to me over the weekend that Nasir's rig has been bouncing around forever; I just didn't know it was his until now. The look on people's face when I open with Pipeline and they think "this idiot is playing Pipeline" almost makes the whole thing worthwhile. The amount of money Nasir can reroute to pay for his toys is amazing.

Derez Nasir 1.1

Nasir Meidan: Cyber Explorer (Upstalk)

Event (10)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus) ••••• •
2x Net Celebrity (The Spaces Between)
2x Stimhack (Core Set) ••

Hardware (15)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
3x Cyberfeeder (Core Set) •••
3x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x R&D Interface (Future Proof)
3x The Toolbox (Core Set)

Resource (7)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
2x Order of Sol (First Contact)
3x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus)

Icebreaker (7)
1x Battering Ram (Core Set)
1x Deus X (A Study in Static)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set)
1x Inti (Creation and Control)
1x Pipeline (Core Set)
1x Sharpshooter (True Colors)

Program (6)
3x Crescentus (A Study in Static) •••
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to First Contact

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Basic strategy: get some stuff on the Workshop, facecheck for econ, profit. Remember that Order of Sol can trigger on each player's turn; profit from being poor. Spook the corp with all your facechecking.

mid-game strategy: get Kati loaded up so you can run already-rezzed ice. If they throw down ice walls in front of their Hadrian's Walls, well, you can spend all your real money boosting strength for later encounters, so that's not a huge concern. Shutdown & Crescentus make it so the corp is paying you to run their servers, while still having facedown ice.

late game: when game point rolls around, Stimhack for that last run or two. "Oops, I lost all my money on your oh-so-clever Wall of Ice play. Guess I'll just run again with 9 credits."

problems: NAPD or a SanSan behind cheap unrezzed ice. Keep that bank on Kati for this situation. Run, get the rez, lose your bank, get a Kati delivery, run again and trash/steal.

If I had an extra Core Set, I'd kill off the Omni Drives for a second Toolbox and some one off (maybe Trade-In to fetch a Toolbox or Plascrete). If I had two extra Cores, I'd probably just run 3 Toolboxes.

edit: -2 Omni Drives, +2 Toolboxes for much better utility of recurring credits. (I bought some spare Toolboxes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think Stimhack will work in this deck. If you hit a single piece of ICE, your runner ability will throw all those credits in the garbage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
I don't think Stimhack will work in this deck. If you hit a single piece of ICE, your runner ability will throw all those credits in the garbage.

typically a deck like this would only stimhack on a server where all ice is already rezzed and you are pushing for the win late game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:

you play it for those situations where you are poor and all the ice is rezzed.

or, you are poor and have a perma-strength breaker out that can deal with a rezzed piece of ice behind an unrezzed piece of ice, to boost strength before you lose the money

or, you are poor and have enough stuff on the workshop to spend the 9 credits between rez and encounter.

or, you have 2$ and need a Femme

it's definitely situational, but it fixes a lot of Nasir-specific problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stimhack, I assume is for killing SanSan or making the last win the game run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Baumgartner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm really curious how useful Pipeline is to this deck. In many cases (I'd argue, in most cases), Femme is a more efficient breaker in addition to having that sweet bypass ability. It's only when you're looking at 2x large sentries (>= 4 strength) or 3x mid sentries (3 strength) that Pipeline's lower strength but run-duration pumping pulls ahead.

Does pipeline show up early to be a cheap breaker with the expectation that Femme will eventually replace it? One problem PW Nasir doesn't have is difficultly paying for expensive rig components, so consider me as confused as your hypothetical opponent to see this card being played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shatner83 wrote:
I'm really curious how useful Pipeline is to this deck. In many cases (I'd argue, in most cases), Femme is a more efficient breaker in addition to having that sweet bypass ability. It's only when you're looking at 2x large sentries (>= 4 strength) or 3x mid sentries (3 strength) that Pipeline's lower strength but run-duration pumping pulls ahead.

Does pipeline show up early to be a cheap breaker with the expectation that Femme will eventually replace it? One problem PW Nasir doesn't have is difficultly paying for expensive rig components, so consider me as confused as your hypothetical opponent to see this card being played.

I think the goal of this is to pump it at the beginning of the run, so then it is pumped, and if you encounter an unrezzed Ice you will have a ready Pipeline pumped with the cash you would have lost anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
With Personal Workshop, Stimhack is 9 credits for practically nothing that you can use to break things, trash stuff, or pay for that hardware or program sitting in your shop. It's a ridiculous tempo swing in your direction early game, and can push you over the edge late game when you really need to get in or steal that thing you need to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Baumgartner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:
Shatner83 wrote:

I think the goal of this is to pump it at the beginning of the run, so then it is pumped, and if you encounter an unrezzed Ice you will have a ready Pipeline pumped with the cash you would have lost anyway.

That makes facechecking sentries marginally safer, true, but that seems pretty circumstantial compared to doing a mid-run install of either a Femme (to break or bypass the ice), or either a Deus-X or Sharpshooter (to cheaply, one-time break subs).

It's not a big deal, but it is unconventional and I'm really curious if the OP can give me some examples where having a Pipeline to pre-pump was superior to the aforementioned options instead.

Edit: I guess you could have a scenario where there's an unrezzed ice wall in front of a Neural Katana, and you can dump your extra cash into pumping Pipeline before breaking the barrier and continuing the run. Still seems kinda marginal since PW Nasir usually has an abundance of things to dump credits into without needing to pre-pump their killer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shatner83 wrote:

If you take out the Femme bypass, Pipeline is only slightly worse than Femme for most runners (strength 1 vs strength 2) but is ridiculously better in Nasir, where you might be facing a server that has a Sentry behind unrezzed ice... say, Eli, Architect, face-down (outermost).

A normal runner facing Eli and Architect would need $8 with Pipeline and Battering Ram and would need $6 with a neutered Femme. That makes Femme an easy choice.

Nasir, however, needs to be ready to lose his money at any time. 4 of those 8 dollars are strength boosts to Pipeline. Let's assume the front ice is a Pop-Up Window and Order of Sol is out to zero out that interaction. Nasir needs $4 pre-pop, and $4 post-pop, which he should have from Net Celeb, Cyberfeeders, and Toolbox. If he was using Femme as an all-purpose Sentry-breaker, he's going to need all $6 after the pop-up encounter, which is a tougher place to get to with recurring credits.

At $3, my main reason for Pipeline was to be a pseudo-Faerie that then worked well with Nasir's ability. You can have it on the board turn 1 and start kicking doors. And, I admit, the person I play 80% of the time is on a Blue Sun kick, so I haven't been getting as much use out of that Femme bypass as I would against others.

Tell the truth, often I prefer to Gordian+Crescentus a Tollbooth instead of Femming it. That way, I know where to go if I need to click for $5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
let's take a far simpler example, actually, now that I think about it.

Neural Katana is a good example.

Let's assume I'm running R&D and the sole piece of ice in front of it is an unrezzed Neural Katana.

I have either Pipeline or a tokenless Femme installed, a Cyberfeeder installed, and $4 to my name.

If I run with Femme, I lose my $4, then gain $4, then spend $2 and the cybercredit to boost strength and break, leaving me with $2

If I run with Pipeline, I pump the Pipeline to strength 3, lose my 0 credits, then gain $4, then spend the Cybercredit to break, leaving me with $4.

I'm $2 ahead after the run. Or I just stole an NAPD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Baumgartner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well answered. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.