Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, last night we played our first game of Dice Duel (6 player game) and had a blast. However there was something that wasn't quite right towards the end. After a bit of cagey maneuvering (ok, we skidded around the board like a couple of go karts with no brakes and no steering) and a couple of shots fired, we got into the same map spaces and just had it out in a big gunfight - ie: basically dropped anchors and fired at each other until one ship died. Both ships had taken two points of damage at that point.

I guess perhaps the stress of piloting the ship got a bit too much - having to program in 3 dice before being able to move is a real challenge so it turned into rolling locks, torps, jams, shields etc.

We were thinking maybe giving the hit ship one "free" movement after each point of damage to force both ships to maneuverer again. Am I just overthinking it? Is that just what sometimes happens when both ships are reasonably close to a kill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
I first game, 2v2, turned into a shootout. I think it was just lack of experience. I haven't had it occur in subsequent plays, even with mostly new people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
Hey all, last night we played our first game of Dice Duel (6 player game) and had a blast. However there was something that wasn't quite right towards the end. After a bit of cagey maneuvering (ok, we skidded around the board like a couple of go karts with no brakes and no steering) and a couple of shots fired, we got into the same map spaces and just had it out in a big gunfight - ie: basically dropped anchors and fired at each other until one ship died. Both ships had taken two points of damage at that point.

I guess perhaps the stress of piloting the ship got a bit too much - having to program in 3 dice before being able to move is a real challenge so it turned into rolling locks, torps, jams, shields etc.

We were thinking maybe giving the hit ship one "free" movement after each point of damage to force both ships to maneuverer again. Am I just overthinking it? Is that just what sometimes happens when both ships are reasonably close to a kill?

This is my #1 tip when I'm doing a demo. Don't forget to move. First-time players just firing at each other over and over is very common.

You'll get past this with experience. Stopping and just firing is not a winning strategy because - In order to fire you need three torpedo dice, and at least one lock die (and probably more). I can put up two or even three shields faster, making your shot unlikely or impossible.

You're almost always better off moving to an undefended side of the enemy ship - and since there are only three shield dice there's always at least one.

There are certain situations where just sitting and reloading is the best tactic, but typically it's because you're on your opponent's flank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Harrison
United States
Glens Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Experience helps in bringing down the occurrences of this "shoot-out," but it is an inherent problem. Two things contribute to the problem.

First problem is that the helmsman is given tractor beam in the suggested setup. The helm should be moving ALL the time, but with three stations, this makes the ship move less and less. Helm and shields are plenty to keep one person busy. Giving Tractor Beam to the weapons officer is not only more efficient for your ship, it's more thematic and will slow down the "shoot-outs."

Second problem is that, at the end of the game, when one or both ships are missing engineering dice, it's harder to get the helm going in good time. Usually, after getting shot once, you want to throw everything you have on defense (shields and sensor jammers), and with only three dice left in engineering, that means that the helm gets no power at all. This can be remedied a little using two crystals to get some engineering dice back, but you'll have to have some saved up by that point, since tractor beam is going to be the LOWEST on the priority pole at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played 3 games of this for the first time. The shootout issues never happened with us but both players kept the helm dice moving a lot.

Another thing that stopped them is if you have a crystal you can yell Warp and time will stop while you get out of there. So if you fire a missile you can yell warp once play resumes and get out of there before they can yell fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.