Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Quite interested in the idea of Survival mode. Considering the possibility of running a few games simultaneously as a mini competition within the group. I do however have one question:

What happens after an Epidemic? Are they shuffled randomly, or put back in a certain order, since all Epidemics will be at the same point in the game, or will contain the same cards...?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The deck is shuffled after each epidemic by the "infector" -- the person who calls out each infection card to the people playing.

So you never really get the same tournament twice, even if you start with the same pre-programmed deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mleacock wrote:
The deck is shuffled after each epidemic by the "infector" -- the person who calls out each infection card to the people playing.

So you never really get the same tournament twice, even if you start with the same pre-programmed deck.

Brilliant, thank you kindly sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mleacock wrote:

I wonder what would happen with the Event cards Resilient Population and Forecast. These would change the Infection deck, but only for those that played them.

Even if every team was to play Forecast at the same time, they would not necessarily arrange the Infection deck in the exact same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thewagon wrote:
mleacock wrote:

I wonder what would happen with the Event cards Resilient Population and Forecast. These would change the Infection deck, but only for those that played them.

Even if every team was to play Forecast at the same time, they would not necessarily arrange the Infection deck in the exact same way.

True, but what they remove / how they re-arrange it is part of their team's strat., so it'll be fine overall I think.

I was only unsure on Epidemics, since they're completely beyond player control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneEared wrote:

True, but what they remove / how they re-arrange it is part of their team's strat., so it'll be fine overall I think.

I was only unsure on Epidemics, since they're completely beyond player control.

I got the impression that there is only one Infection deck that is used for all teams playing. The infector/ GM type person calls out the cards for every team from this deck. Is this incorrect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, that wasn't the impression I got, but doesn't mean you're wrong lol.

I thought each team had their own deck, and each one was just set up in a certain pre-determined sequence by GM's or equivs...that would keep everything moving smoother, not rush teams and allow people around the world to play the same game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneEared wrote:
Hmm, that wasn't the impression I got, but doesn't mean you're wrong lol.

I thought each team had their own deck, and each one was just set up in a certain pre-determined sequence by GM's or equivs...that would keep everything moving smoother, not rush teams and allow people around the world to play the same game...

Aha, so when Matt said
mleacock wrote:
the "infector" -- the person who calls out each infection card to the people playing.

I took this to mean there was one person with the infection deck and called out draws from this deck to all teams simultaneously.

But he may have just been referring to someone at each table who is doing this. So each table is assigned a volunteer who runs the infection deck for that team I guess.

Whatever the case this is such a cool concept, I would love to get the chance to do it some day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno V
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The announcement does say "the infected cities are the same for everyone", so I expect everyone uses a shared deck and all Event cards that affect it are removed from the game. But I'd like to know for sure as well. Also, are expansions in use or is it only the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Jenkins
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salvatos wrote:
The announcement does say "the infected cities are the same for everyone", so I expect everyone uses a shared deck and all Event cards that affect it are removed from the game. But I'd like to know for sure as well. Also, are expansions in use or is it only the base game?

Also very intrigued by this. I didn't get a chance this year, but am planning to attend convention(s) next season with the express purpose of playing in at least one Survivor tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
unkle
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played in one, won whistle, but I was also wondering about those events... They were out of the game

And there is only one deck, meaning you do not know which cards have already passed in the infection deck. So it is harder (or you have, like my daughter, a very good memory !!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Maaninen
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing in the Pandemic Survival World Championships in Essen and all the games there used the Virulent Strain rules. When we qualified for the tournament in Helsinki, the game was regular Pandemic.

And, as has been said, yes there is only one deck that is controlled by the infector (or in Essen, The Evil Mastermind Sebastian). And the event cards that could manipulate the deck, are out.

The two games I got to play in Essen were probably most fun I've had playing any game. You could feel the adrenaline flowing... I will recommend Pandemic Survival to anybody who likes Pandemic!

Oh, there's a video of our semi final match in Essen, helps to see how it all works. You can find it on youtube: semi finals pandemic survival

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Povilas Šimonis
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Would it be possible to get some guidelines for organising such event? Rules etc? How exactly infector works? reshufling in all matchups will be the same as well?

Regards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pseudomonass wrote:
Would it be possible to get some guidelines for organising such event? Rules etc? How exactly infector works? reshufling in all matchups will be the same as well?
Pandemic Survival @ WABAcon 2017

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.