Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone explain how a rainbow draft actually works? I didn't really understand the document on the website. One specific question is which dice do I get to take home? The ones I opened? The ones I drafted? But the draft isn't evenly divided right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to actually do a rainbow draft, but my understanding is you get 1 matching die for each card you draft, and you get to keep both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon M
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to play in my first Rainbow Draft today. The document from Wizkids is a bit confusing. Here's kind of how I see it:

1) Everyone buys 12 packs and makes the people running your FLGS happy. They deserve to be happy.

2) A group (or more groups or "pods") of players opens the first six packs. The dice are placed in a community pile sorted by color for quick reference. The cards are put in a little stack in front of each player.

3) The group opens the other 6 packs and puts those dice in the Rainbow connection in the middle and makes a 2nd little stack.

4) Everyone takes their first little stack of 12 cards from the first 6 packs and picks one card. They set that card aside and pass the remaining 11 cards to the right.

5) This continues until all cards have been drafted. Take a card, pass it to the right.

6) Take the 2nd stack of cards (from the 2nd group of packs that were opened). Take a card and pass the stack LEFT. Rinse and repeat.

7) After all cards have been drafted, each player takes a die from the Rainbow road that matches a character. So, if a player drafted 5 Namor, they take 5 Namor dice.

8) The players choose up to 8 cards and up to 20 dice they they have chosen to build a team. Hopefully, everyone has brought sidekicks and actions (and action dice and those color cards). If not, buy a starter set since they are actually available now. All basic actions can be brought, but of course everyone selects two to use for the whole day.

9) Play the tourney and have fun. Make new buddies that are also into Dicemasters. Those cards you drafted? Thems is yours forever.

I'm pretty sure that is more or less how it is going to go down. If I didn't read this or explain correctly, please let me know. I'm looking forward to the To Do later today, and would hate to commit a faux pas. That would be quite gauche.

EDIT: I done forgot to add the bit about the sidekicks and such. I feel like it went without saying, but then I said it anyway. Also, I wanted to add an emoticon. Here he is: robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, sir.

The usual strategy is that the first card you pick woold be a card you really want for your collection (if you opened a pack and pulled a super rare). Otherwise someone else will draft it. I've pulled 2 super rares in the 3 drafts I've played. The odds are pretty decent that someone will pull a super rare if enough people play, but the format is really good at filling out a collection. And if you don't care about winning, you can draft cards for your collection..

Also, so far the best strategies that have worked for me: always grab a prof x with global. Try to max ant man and or falcon, and 5 cost namor are all really good.

Using prof x global not only helps you get your sidekicks for next turn, it also makes purchased dice highly likely to be pulled. So it's almost always work saving the energy for his global.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If it was about winning the tournament then NEVER pass up the uncommon Cerebro-Supercomputer. That card will go a long way to winning the event. It is the only card I will pass a Super Rare for if I was going for the win.

The other posters are correct when they say draft is better for filling out your sets than being highly competitive. I love Draft so much more than the Set Team events due to the variety of the teams and the casualness of the players. It seems to have a better mind set for the players than the Set Team events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, that's pretty much how I came to understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon M
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cubeconvict wrote:
Awesome, that's pretty much how I came to understand it.

Ok, I have survived (and won, somehow) my first Rainbow Draft event.

This post really helped keep it on the rails.

I drafted lots of common Ant Mens and Scarlet Witchies...and that is mostly what I used. I did pull my 2nd SR Iron Man and drafted him. I never purchased dice for him though.

I also really liked how the format forced players to use something that isn't in the Min/Max Meta Menagerie currently. Of course, everyone took a Prof X for the ramp.

I highly recommend it since you are going to pay for the packs ANYWAY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.