Marvel Dice Masters: Uncanny X-Men» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Defensive deck build? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Paul
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Has anyone built any good defensive deck builds?

I don't play tournaments but we do play with 3 people instead of 2 which makes it difficult to cover everything. I am trying to build a deck to stay alive and not be wiped out by turn 7 or 8. It seems like I get attacked by both and wiped out quickly every time. One of my opponents is relentless and attacks almost every turn no matter what. By the time it gets to me again I have to roll to field somebody only to get attacked by both players again which clears me out of defenders.

What cards would you recommend to help me build defense to stay alive but have attack if I need it? I was thinking maybe something with cerebro, Juggernaut and Mr fantastic elastic.
Or maybe build a deck around Cyclops- if looks could kill. Both my opponents typically use a bunch of sidekicks and low defensive guys as protection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If every three player game devolves into them ganging up on you, then I'd start by finding someone else to play with. There is simply no way one player can protect himself against two in this game. Even 3-player Magic games end up with this problem. You can try the "Jyhad Variant" - where you can only attack the player to your left, so you only have one player you need to defend yourself against - as long as they don't devolve into tactics where they just gang up on you with Power Bolts, Human Torch pings, and other direct-damage effects... than you're back to option one.

THAT SAID... if you are really a glutton for punishment... try Beast - Genetic Expert with Toad - Tongue Lashing. Maybe use Professor X - Recruiting Young Mutants or any Silver Surfer to ramp so you can buy them Toads up ASAP. It's like this: Buy Beast like he's going out of style; grab Toads as soon as you can afford them. Field Toad ASAP, hopefully at Level 1 or 2 (bursts); now they MUST attack with every non-sidekick every turn, likely with all attackers taking two damage as soon as they're declared (burst effect), all because of Toad. Block any attackers that survive with Beast to gain life and possibly deal damage back to the turn player (his burst effect at Level 1), and maybe KO those attackers as well. You might even back it up with Iron Man - Philanthropist to gain even more life, or Iron Man - Playboy to finish off larger attackers. And the basic action Transfer Power can help you get those Toads out more often (including the turn you buy one), and Focus Power can keep those Toads and Beasts leveled down where you prefer them.

No guarantees here. I STILL think this setup will lose to two ganged-up players, but it'll hurt them to do so, which will definitely make them think about attacking each other more often - they will simply be easier to harm than you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hudson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've had good games with this team

Mr. Fantastic - Brilliant Scientist
Storm - African Priestess / Beast - Pick one you like
Doctor Strange - Master of the Mystic Arts
Loki - Gem Keeper

Add in for a larger team :-
Angel - Soaring
Kitty Pryde - Sprite
Vibranium Shield - One of a Kind
Cerebro - Cybernetic Intelligence

My tactic is to play denensivly collecting action dice to start dealing damage with Dr Strange
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Paul
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I had some really good luck with toad out. I only wish I had fielded him as soon as possible. Since both my opponents had at least 2 characters with a cost of 2 it really limited them in terms of fielding characters unless they happened to keep rolling 4's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.