mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
can I reroll injuries and madness chart rolls?
can I reroll the leveling up roll?
can I reroll town or location events? travel events?
can I reroll doctors/priest visits for healing and corruption cleansing? Selling darkstone rolls? Bounty rolls?

When a melee monster is already engaged with you, will it ever move around to allow other non large monsters to engage you? I know that when they initially target you they run as far around you as possible to make room for other monsters, but on following rounds, do they make way for other monsters to also get in?

Saloon girl... does she heal at the end of her activation, or at the end of the whole turn. The wording says at the end of the hero turn, but technically there is no "Hero Turn" only an "End of the Turn"

thanks
Mateo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
can I reroll injuries and madness chart rolls?
can I reroll the leveling up roll?
can I reroll town or location events? travel events?
can I reroll doctors/priest visits for healing and corruption cleansing? Selling darkstone rolls? Bounty rolls?

Link to some comments from Joel, who was one of the playtesters. It doesn't cover everything, but is helpful. I hope this is high on FFP's list of clarifications to publish -- I'm having this question come up almost every game.

Quote:
When a melee monster is already engaged with you, will it ever move around to allow other non large monsters to engage you? I know that when they initially target you they run as far around you as possible to make room for other monsters, but on following rounds, do they make way for other monsters to also get in?

I'd like to know that as well. The way I'm playing is that if the monster is already attacking you from a previous turn, then it does NOT move again. This is because it would be kind of silly for the monster to constantly run back and forth around you.

Quote:
Saloon girl... does she heal at the end of her activation, or at the end of the whole turn. The wording says at the end of the hero turn, but technically there is no "Hero Turn" only an "End of the Turn"

Joel has clarified this one too: Link. Basically, it happens at the end of the whole turn (after all heroes have moved).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
I'd like to know that as well. The way I'm playing is that if the monster is already attacking you from a previous turn, then it does NOT move again. This is because it would be kind of silly for the monster to constantly run back and forth around you.

Which is wrong
Rulebook p26 wrote:

That Enemy is said to be targeting the selected Hero to Attack and is moved
as far as it can be to a space adjacent to that Hero. This will usually have the Enemy move to the far side of the Hero, getting in behind them and making way for other Enemies.

The monsters dance around you rather than stand and slug it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
Rubric wrote:

Which is wrong
Rulebook p26 wrote:

as far as it can be to a space adjacent to that Hero. This will usually have the Enemy move to the far side of the Hero, getting in behind them and making way for other Enemies.

It's not clear. Your quote is referring to the monsters' approach when they are not currently targeting someone. The rules don't say whether monsters move when they already have an adjacent target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
Rubric wrote:

Which is wrong
Rulebook p26 wrote:

Sorry, you are wrong. Once monsters have a target, they stay where they are and attack until they no longer have a target (target is dead or moved away) or they are dead. They do not 'dance' around each turn. The rule you quoted is only used when the enemy needs to determine their target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules, Grit can be used for anything:

Quote:
Using Grit
A Hero may use a Grit to do one of three things:
- Use 1 Grit to Re-roll any number of dice that you
just rolled.
- Use 1 Grit to add an extra D6 to your Movement.
- Use Grit to activate a Special Ability or Item that
requires it.

The only exception I've found is you cannot reroll a reroll (i.e. use grit on a grit roll), and Holding Back The Darkness (page 10 explicitly states, "Grit may NOT be used to Re-roll a Hold Back the Darkness test.")

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:
dahak wrote:
Rubric wrote:

Which is wrong
Rulebook p26 wrote:

Sorry, you are wrong. Once monsters have a target, they stay where they are and attack until they no longer have a target (target is dead or moved away) or they are dead. They do not 'dance' around each turn. The rule you quoted is only used when the enemy needs to determine their target.

I think you'll find Staying on Target says nothing about standing still. Just that they continue to Target and attack the same hero.

And Enemy Movement says that monsters attempt to move as far round the Hero they are Targeting as they can. Nothing about only if it is the first turn they are targeting him.

Only Monsters with both Ranged and Close Combat attacks don't move if adjacent to a Hero [p29 Such Monsters don't move to make Melee Attacks.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until there is a clarification I don't think you can just flat out say "you are wrong" regarding the movement of already engaged monsters. The rules don't specifically mention movement in future rounds, so yes the only time the rules mention enemy movement says to move them to the far side. Unfortunately the section on staying on target makes no mention of movement. Perhaps that means there is no movement.. but it doesn't say that. I do agree, though, that if you go strictly by what the rules say, that Dahak has quite a valid interpretation, and probably the most correct.

However, with that said, unless a Hill comes on here saying that they dance around each turn, I won't be moving them until they lose their target. It makes sense for creatures like the hellbats, which re-target every round, would go nuts flying back and forth.. but having a zombie do-si-do just seems silly.

The following scenario seems silly to me:
Spiders go first, move to the far side of the heroes making room for some stranglers. Strangers don't have enough move to reach the heroes.
Round 2, spiders activate and move to the 'new' far side of their hero, now cutting off the stranglers from reaching the heroes on their activation. Sorry strangler, the spiders left you room before but they had to move and they'll only leave that opening for you every other round.

It also seems like a lot of wasted time and mental energy to move already on-target enemies. i.e. the time figuring out which enemies will move first to where and try to optimize that for the heroes because technically they're all the closest, so the heroes can choose the order in which the enemies will move. Rather than figure out the movement dance for 9 already on-target spiders, I'd rather just roll their attacks since their targets aren't changing. AND they won't be blocking out other slower monsters because of the silly dance.

That is my opinion and that is how I will play when I get my copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
FencePost wrote:
The following scenario seems silly to me:
Spiders go first, move to the far side of the heroes making room for some stranglers. Strangers don't have enough move to reach the heroes.
Round 2, spiders activate and move to the 'new' far side of their hero, now cutting off the stranglers from reaching the heroes on their activation. Sorry strangler, the spiders left you room before but they had to move and they'll only leave that opening for you every other round.

I agree your scenario would make for a very stupid monster AI. However, I think the part I emphasized is where you're going wrong.

The rules as written do state that this seems to be the desired behaviour (page 26: The enemy "is moved as far as it can be to a space adjacent to that Hero"). However, they following sentence seems to paint a very clear picture of the rules as intended ("This will usually have the Enemy move to the far side of the Hero, getting in behind them and making way for other Enemies").

I would play it where the enemies DO move each turn, but they always try and get to the space as far away from the enemies' spawn corner (where you place the first enemy in the checkerboard pattern), not to the space that is furthest from the enemy's current position.

This would have enemies potentially moving each turn and making room for any enemies that did not get to move into an adjacent spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
the simplest thing is to either decide monsters dont move after engaging their target, or they always make room, if possible, for other monsters, acting more intelligent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I remember someone saying you can't reroll Town and Town location events but I can't find that in the rules. For my own reassurance can some one verify it isn't please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
I thought I remember someone saying you can't reroll Town and Town location events but I can't find that in the rules. For my own reassurance can some one verify it isn't please?

It's not in the rules. Here is the only semi-official comment we have, which comes from one of the playtesters:

Link here:

Harlow Morgan wrote:
Here's the breakdown of how we play it during playtesting:

No:
Enemy attack/damage rolls
Selecting a hero randomly
Enemy elite chart abilities
Leveling-up chart rolls - The intent was always that you couldn't re-roll these. Pretty sure that will find it's way onto an errata sheet.

Yes:
Bandage, whiskey, and herb rolls
Mutation chart rolls
Injury chart rolls
Madness chart rolls
Travel Hazard chart rolls
Attack rolls
Damage rolls
Defense rolls
Willpower rolls
Armor rolls
Spirit Armor rolls
Movement rolls
Scavenge rolls
Adventure rewards that have rolls listed

Not sure, I never thought to use grit on it:
Dynamite bounce rolls - probably yes
Die to determine if there is a travel hazard - probably yes

Can you give a specific example?:
Various cards drawn that have rolls listed
Attribute rolls, skill rolls - if you mean tests, then yes, you can re-roll those
Activation of special abilities
Activation of special items

All of Flying Frog's games are designed to be very player friendly, and the rule of thumb with grit should be that yes, you can re-roll it. The game is fully co-op though, so if your gaming group decides they don't think grit should be used on Dynamite damage, then by all means play it that way.

I should also note that again, I do not work for the Frog and my answer should not be taken as official. I know putting together an FAQ/errata is on Jason's to-do list, but so is getting backers' games out and designing the rest of the content (along with a lot of other stuff).

Edit: other people have theorized that if it's allowed to reroll injury/madness rolls and travel hazards, then it's probably allowed to reroll town events as well. Personally, I don't reroll any chart results except Surgery (which is necessary and slightly justifiable), because I don't think it fits the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reece
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think (by official rules) that town location events are re-rollable.

The 1d6 roll is trigger a Town Event at the end of the day is debateable.

The 2d6 roll to select a Town Event is certainly NOT rerollable. (It is explicit on the table). The fact that this roll is made very explicitly non-Grit-able is what leads me to think that the other rolls are rerollable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some enemy movement clarification from Jason. I e-mailed and asked about enemy movement and got the following response:

Hi Darryl,

An enemy that starts its move adjacent to the Hero it is targeting does not move any further (so no 'dance'). An Enemy generally only moves if it is not adjacent to its target, it has no target, or it has a special ability that affects its movement.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.