United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS is abuzz with rumors/news that Khans will be banned from Modern once it rotates out of Standard.

All I can find to confirm is an article that, despite me being out of the loop, sounds like a joke. It even says it is satirical at the bottom. http://themeadery.org/articles/wizards-grossly-overreacts-dr...

My son is starting to go to FLGS, just wanted to ask - it seems a bit silly but as much as the players at my store are worked up about this I would think there would be more confirmation online if it were for real.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume the average age of the plyers at you FLGS is about 12 if they think this is true.

WotC would not ban an entire set from Modern. One or two cards, sure, but not a whole set. This reminds me of an argument I had with a coworker a few years ago, and the only thing he could find to back up his case was an article from a few years earlier... posted on April 1st.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that rumor is without any basis whatsoever. WOTC would at most ban Treasure Cruise, Dig Through Time, and Jeskai Ascendancy--banning the entire block is so far beyond the realm of reason that there is no point in seriously considering it. Even those three cards are as of now nowhere near the point of banning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Weekly Mulligan is a well-ish known satire column that self-identifies as satire. If you want official Magic news, tell your son's friends to stick to DailyMTG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
mbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
Yep, that rumor is without any basis whatsoever. WOTC would at most ban Treasure Cruise, Dig Through Time, and Jeskai Ascendancy--banning the entire block is so far beyond the realm of reason that there is no point in seriously considering it. Even those three cards are as of now nowhere near the point of banning.

This. Those three are the only cards from Khans that might be banned, and it's still too early to say if any of them really are ban-worthy. After this weekend's GP Madrid it might be possible to see where the metagame is heading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it remarkable the reaction. Now, the guy working the counter was fanning it into flames but he does have a dry sense of humor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
And continueing with what other said, the probable outcome is Ascendency banned and the Tresaure cruise first and later on Dig through time, probably after the modern pro-tour when a main event will take forever with turn two wins.

(And as a friend pointed out, Siege Rhino might well find a place in modern after that. I am not so sure but people have not looked further then quick combo wins)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the whole point of fetchlands was to put them into modern . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
After this weekend's GP Madrid it might be possible to see where the metagame is heading.

Well, after looking at the top 8 (http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpmad14/top-8-de...), the top 16 (http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpmad14/top-16-d...), the day 2 deck breakdown (http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpmad14/day-2-me...), and the day 1 9-0 decks (http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpmad14/9-0-deck...), I'd say the metagame looks healthier than expected. Based on this I'd say nothing will be banned in January (or whenever then next ban date is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.