Brian Marrs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a couple of questions regarding ranged attacks.

First, I know that you have to declare all support ahead of time for a given combat, but do you have to declare all ranged attacks (i.e., ranged attack without combat) against a particular hex ahead of time? Or can you see the results of each ranged attack before deciding whether to fire with another unit at that hex?

If you have to declare everyone ahead of time, are the results applied immediately after each attack, or are they applied after all declared attacks are complete?

This could make a difference if there were 3 reduced strength infantry companies in one hex. If the results from each ranged attack are applied immediately, then any step losses would reduce the die roll modifier for subsequent attacks since you would be reducing the number of infantry companies in the hex with each step loss. But if you wait until all declared attacks are resolved, then the die roll modifier would not change (which would be very nasty for the recipient).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can declare non-supporting ranged attacks on an individual basis, resolving each one before deciding on the next. This is a key difference between Red Winter and the sequel game, Operation Dauntless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Marrs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just to be sure I have this. If the ranged fire is for support, you must pre-designate all firing units. If it is non-support fire, you don't have to pre-designate which units will fire. But either way, you would fire a unit, and apply the results before firing the next unit. Correct?

I'm playing my first game via VASSAL by email, and have been so impressed by the system that I pre-ordered Operation Dauntless. Awesome game! Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are exactly correct.

Non-supporting ranged attacks can be declared one at a time, resolving each on individually before declaring any other.

All supporting ranged attacks must be declared up front and before resolving any, but each is still resolved individually (and any results applied immediately).

Note that in the former case, this means that the player can see the result of each attack before deciding whether or not to make another attack. However, note that a "Suppressed" result typically amounts to a "no effect" from any non-supporting attack (since there will be no follow-up Combat). Also note that you can't perform one or more non-supporting attacks and then declare a Combat against the same target hex later in the same phase; if you're going to Combat a hex, you have to declare that intention up front, and all ranged attacks against the hex must then be supporting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.