Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » Variants

Subject: zombie movement (house rule) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uncle Greasy
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
House Rule -Survivors do not count as noise tokens. This is contrary to Zombicide rules, page 6, top right paragraph.

If you adopt this house rule, this means that zombies do not move when there are no survivors in LOS or noise tokens.

It's that simple and it makes for a more tactical game.

Enjoy.
Justo
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried this, and I am guessing you have - does it make the game a lot easier?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
It makes the whole game pointless. Search forever because the Zombies stay at their spawns.whistle
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also makes Ninja a pointless skill and means that some of the missions become completely changed. Seems like a bad idea to me personally.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
I haven't tried this, and I am guessing you have - does it make the game a lot easier?


I didn't try it but I can answer this.

Yes, yes it does.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Watterson
England
flag msg tools
mb
unclegreasy wrote:
House Rule -Survivors do not count as noise tokens. This is contrary to Zombicide rules, page 6, top right paragraph.
If you adopt this house rule, this means that zombies do not move when there are no survivors in LOS or noise tokens.

Not necessarily.
You could say Zombies move towards line-of-site zombies.
And, thinking of those Zombie Hoards, Zombies move in the direction they moved in the previous turn, ie. if he moved left one zone last time then, without any of site stuff or noise stuff to attract him from his path, he'll move left one zone this time too. And you could draw little arrows on the base of the figurines to remind you which direction they're going. There's gonna be some blind alley build up but we've seen the people on the Walking Dead come across such happens many-many times.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle greasy said "It's that simple", but all of a sudden it isn't!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Cooper
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zwixxx wrote:
unclegreasy wrote:
House Rule -Survivors do not count as noise tokens. This is contrary to Zombicide rules, page 6, top right paragraph.
If you adopt this house rule, this means that zombies do not move when there are no survivors in LOS or noise tokens.

Not necessarily.
You could say Zombies move towards line-of-site zombies.
And, thinking of those Zombie Hoards, Zombies move in the direction they moved in the previous turn, ie. if he moved left one zone last time then, without any of site stuff or noise stuff to attract him from his path, he'll move left one zone this time too. And you could draw little arrows on the base of the figurines to remind you which direction they're going. There's gonna be some blind alley build up but we've seen the people on the Walking Dead come across such happens many-many times.
But he didn't say that, so with the proposed house rule, the second you round a corner, the zombies that are chasing you stop "dead" in their tracks. You could literally have your survivor party dash across street immediately in front of the entire zombie hoard, and as long as everyone mad it into the next building before the zombie turn, the zombies wouldn't even react.

It sounds too easy, and it destroys the "advancing hoard" theme of the game. Simply equip your survivors with silent weapons, avoid 2-3 hot spots on the board, get all the loot, then drive to the exit.

Admittedly, I'm a purist when it comes to the game rules. The only "house rule" I employ with Zombicide is I give players a handful of three or survivor cards, and allow them to pick. Still means there is a random element and you can't pick your favorite overpowered character every time, but you're not stuck with a total loser either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Watterson
England
flag msg tools
mb
Squaty wrote:
... with the proposed house rule, the second you round a corner, the zombies that are chasing you stop "dead" in their tracks. You could literally have your survivor party dash across street immediately in front of the entire zombie hoard, and as long as everyone mad it into the next building before the zombie turn, the zombies wouldn't even react.

If zombies were following you before you rounded that corner then, rather than stop, my "unless distracted by noise they continue their current path" addon to the OP rule would see them move at least one zone closer to you.

As for your dashing survivors = no zombie reaction, AND the group are dashing from inside one building, thru one road zone and into another building then:
(A) if the hoard are at least one zone away from the road zone used by the group then if they were facing it their next turn would take them into it anyway, and if they were not facing it then they just didn't see them and the group got away with it (yay) so the hoard would move one zone in the other direction.
(B) if the hoard is in fact 1 or 2 zombies and they were IN the road zone used by the group (each group member having to spend 1 or 2 extra actions to get thru the zone cos of the zombies there, then you could say this attracted those zombies attention so point their figurines towards the directions the group went so when it come to the zombie turn they will move in that direction.
(this would look better with pix yuk)

re: the slippery skill, though allowing someone to get thru a zombie infested zone without spending those extra action, maybe it doesn't stop them noticing you, so they'll all be facing in your direction for when their turn comes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
unclegreasy wrote:

It's that simple.

Oh no it isn't!

Don't get me wrong, I love this discussion, but you need people like Bill and others on this forum to hammer out details of simple ideas.

I also play mostly by the rules and don't tend to use variants, but I still read them because of the interesting discussion they provoke.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clarke

Ewloe
Flintshire
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect this is too easy, so some thoughts

1. Have searching create noise, so you can't just hide and search until you are fully equipped.

2. Have a survivor who moves 2 or more spaces create noise (as they are running) thus you can't rush around a corner and have them stop and you can't run across in front of them with out having them try to follow.

3. Have a character with ninja skill able to do 1 and 2 without making noise.

4. This one is thematically wrong but, have zombies that can't see anyone amble in a random direction. Pick which direction is north at the start of the game. Roll a die for each ambling group, 1=north, 2=west, 3=south, 4=east, 5=Move towards nearest survivor, 6=Stay still. You could roll for each Zombie but that will slow the game a lot.

That said I don't think I'll be trying the rule as it looks like it removes much of the "peril" in the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Leslie
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falseemp wrote:
I suspect this is too easy, so some thoughts

1. Have searching create noise, so you can't just hide and search until you are fully equipped.

2. Have a survivor who moves 2 or more spaces create noise (as they are running) thus you can't rush around a corner and have them stop and you can't run across in front of them with out having them try to follow.

3. Have a character with ninja skill able to do 1 and 2 without making noise.

4. This one is thematically wrong but, have zombies that can't see anyone amble in a random direction. Pick which direction is north at the start of the game. Roll a die for each ambling group, 1=north, 2=west, 3=south, 4=east, 5=Move towards nearest survivor, 6=Stay still. You could roll for each Zombie but that will slow the game a lot.

That said I don't think I'll be trying the rule as it looks like it removes much of the "peril" in the game.


Another idea would be rather than clearing all the noise tokens between turns, just remove one each turn from each zone. So zombies would keep moving towards the last big noise they heard for a few turns unless something louder came around.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Watterson
England
flag msg tools
mb
Coyotenomad wrote:
Another idea would be rather than clearing all the noise tokens between turns, just remove one each turn from each zone. So zombies would keep moving towards the last big noise they heard for a few turns unless something louder came around.

I like that, kinda like a huge car fire often used to distract the Zs whilst the goodies scarper. Removing a noise token every turn would be kinda like this car fire dying down, soon reaching a level at which the Zs would be distracted by something more, well more distracting.
If only there was an easy way of resolving the hmmmm-thing whereby Zs will be more attracted to a x2 noise token zone on the other side of the map (some 10+ zones away) than a single noise token right next to them. But I can't quite think of one, darn it.


Other idea to add to this movement mix:
(1) spend an extra action to move silently (to those unninjaed)
(2) introduce night time, which would restrict Zs line of sight to a single zone (ie. the next one), enabling the goodie to wander around without attracting attention (being careful of making no darn noise, of course)
(3) maybe night time could affect movement INSIDE buildings such that if the group doesn't have a flashlight then they'll make more noise thru bumping into things / require extra move actions to move about cos they're being careful NOT to bump into things.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clarke

Ewloe
Flintshire
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps instead of removing 1 noise marker you could remove half noise markers rounded up. Of course the LOUD skill makes the idea difficult to use as it doesn't say now many markers you count as, just more than anywhere else.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Greasy
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It seemed easier at first, but there is a side effect to this house rule that makes the game more realistic (i.e. realistic in terms of zombie movies -I guess) and it does encourages more team work.

Because of this house rule, zombies do not get to move continuously tend to collect at spawning points. When they do move, they do so in clusters. The walkers and fatties form-up because of their slow pace, then runners, and lastly the zombie dogs. These clusters are not easily dispatched in melee and only the slippery skill can get past their choke points. For obvious reasons, you begin to avoid melee with these clusters and rely more on shooting (noose). Lastly, because you are not killing many of them with melee, you don't have enough zombies in the spawning pool... And, when zombies can't spawn, they get a extra activation (Ref. bottom of page 10 of rules). When this occurs with the runner or does, you are in deep doo doo

In short, don't knock it until you try it. It's a real hoot!

Now go kill some Zeds.

Uncle Greasy

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
unclegreasy wrote:
It seemed easier at first, but there is a side effect to this house rule that makes the game more realistic (i.e. realistic in terms of zombie movies -I guess) and it does encourages more team work.

Because of this house rule, zombies do not get to move continuously tend to collect at spawning points. When they do move, they do so in clusters. The walkers and fatties form-up because of their slow pace, then runners, and lastly the zombie dogs. These clusters are not easily dispatched in melee and only the slippery skill can get past their choke points. For obvious reasons, you begin to avoid melee with these clusters and rely more on shooting (noose). Lastly, because you are not killing many of them with melee, you don't have enough zombies in the spawning pool... And, when zombies can't spawn, they get a extra activation (Ref. bottom of page 10 of rules). When this occurs with the runner or does, you are in deep doo doo

In short, don't knock it until you try it. It's a real hoot!

Now go kill some Zeds.

Uncle Greasy



You are refering to Zombicide 1 only I guess.
With the PO/TCM weapons and skills like lifesaver/taunt this mode would be easy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Greasy
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might make it more thematic but I fail to see how it makes it more tactical. If you can spend your first few turns searching with abandon (and just popping out of buildings to lure some zombies then go back in so they don't all pile up in one zone) it's going to be very easy. One of the main tension aspects of Zombicide is created by the desperate search for weapons before your face gets eaten. Even big groups of zombies become much less scary once you have tooled up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Greasy
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
...well, then stop "failing to see" and give it try.

Did you read my second post where I speak of the zombie clusters?

Give it try and be sure to use the dogs (zed and companions).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see what difference reactivations make if the Zombies don't move if they can't see anyone.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
Problem is it makes the game easier because with your rule you can trigger the movement of several zombies. I think thats what you mean by tactical.

In vanilla zombicide zombies keep coming from every direction, means sooner or later you are surrounded by zombies if you don't kill enough.

According to your houserule they only start moving when the players want them to move by exposing themselves. So it is possible to "trigger" half of the spawns from the beginning, make the zombies coming toward the players and kill them "one by one" in melee without the fear of getting surrounded. Meanwhile the other spawns are still "clustering" and get dealt later on or are totally ignored.

Using the long range weapons of PO/TCM with your rule renders it even more pointless.

In small maps I can see a small potential for your houserule but in >9-tile maps and or with PO/TCM it is far too easy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Cooper
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbath wrote:
Problem is it makes the game easier because with your rule you can trigger the movement of several zombies. I think thats what you mean by tactical.

In vanilla zombicide zombies keep coming from every direction, means sooner or later you are surrounded by zombies if you don't kill enough.

According to your houserule they only start moving when the players want them to move by exposing themselves. So it is possible to "trigger" half of the spawns from the beginning, make the zombies coming toward the players and kill them "one by one" in melee without the fear of getting surrounded. Meanwhile the other spawns are still "clustering" and get dealt later on or are totally ignored.

Using the long range weapons of PO/TCM with your rule renders it even more pointless.

In small maps I can see a small potential for your houserule but in >9-tile maps and or with PO/TCM it is far too easy.
Agreed, but I don't mind people being innovative. We just played the scenario where the map starts with an Abomination that functions as a mobile spawn point. Watching him lumber toward us, sprouting dogz and runners was most motivating!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unclegreasy wrote:
...well, then stop "failing to see" and give it try.

Did you read my second post where I speak of the zombie clusters?

Give it try and be sure to use the dogs (zed and companions).



I did, but clusters of zombies really aren't that much of a problem in Zombicide. What is a problem is having lots of zombies in different zones thereby being unable to maximise your kills because they are spread out (which your house rule severely limits by forcing them into groups which are like fish in a barrel), being unable to get weapons before zombies reach you (which again your rule largely does away with as you break into a house, kill the zombies that spawn then just search infinitely without making any noise until you are completely tooled up), or extra activations (which are again limited in effectiveness if, as already pointed out they just mill around when there's no noise being created rather than actually get an unanticipated step closer to you as they would usually).

Thematically it makes sense but I don't need to play it to recognise the flaw in it as a house rule. Having said that, Zombicide can be played however one chooses and I have absolutely no problem with anybody playing it the way you suggest. It is not for me, or anybody else, to tell you what to do with your game. I just see that this would make the game easier having played the game a significant amount myself so personally it's not a rule I see as being necessary or effective (for mine and my groups playstyle).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Rules to Variants.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.