United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say the game ends when "Every monument has been built by at least one player."

The English seems kind of bad. It looks like One player must build all the monuments to end the game. But I think it means that the game ends like the previous game, when all the monuments are built in total. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you are correct. Better wording might have been when "Each monument has been built by at least one player".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
I blame the translation from Tom's foreign language. Californian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Bender
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Interesting, I read that as 'one player must build all the monuments'
but I guess that's wrong.

"the game ends when one of each monument type has been built, between all players" would be unambiguous

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gingold
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think the answer is up for debate. There has been no official response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The rules say, for the short game, that one game ending condition is when "All but one (or all) of the monuments have *each* been built by at least one player." (emphasis added).

Does everyone agree that this is clear? If Jack builds two monuments and Jill builds two other monuments, the short game ends.

The rules continue that for the long game, one game ending condition is that: "Every monument has been built by at least one player." If Jack builds two monuments, Jill builds two different ones, and Joe builds the fifth monument, then the full game ends.

"Every" here is standing in contrast to "all but one" in the first statement. Rules don't exist in isolation, but in context with other rules. Yes, this could have been made more explicit by stating, "Every monument has been built, each by at least one player."

The game sheet says: "all but one of the monuments are built" (short game) or "all monuments are built" (long game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.