Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello boys and girls,

Having a bit of a mental breakdown here understanding 3.3 Card Bonus: rule. If it didn't come up on turn one, is the Ottoman player supposed to be handed this before cards are dealt out or after cards are dealt out and it is still in the deck (as I read what I type I am going with "what don't I understand about beginning of turn 2").

Does anyone know how in ACTS this is done (giving Selim card to Ottoman), or has worked out a procedure to do so?

Cheers
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to handle the situation is have the Ottomans draw the normal amount of cards on Turn 2. Then:

1. If the Ottomans draw Selim II, they show it to everyone and draw an additional card.
2. If another player draws Selim II, they send it to the Ottoman (revealing the card they are sending) and they draw a replacement.
3. If no one has Selim, the Ottomans play the turn as if they had three home cards (HC): Ottoman Tribute, Grand Vizier and Selim II.

Some other cases:

4. If a power draws Selim II later on Turn 2 (ex: Patron of the Arts and Sciences, or Taxis Family Couriers), they either send it to the Ottomans, or plays it as an event if it has already been played as a HC. In either of these cases, you draw a replacement.

5. If the Ottomans draw Selim II later on turn 2, which to my knowledge will only happen if they play Ottoman Tribute as an event and receive tribute, reveal it to all players and stop treating it as a third HC. OR the Ottoman player just plays it as an event if he's already played his Selim II "HC". In both cases, draw a new card.

6. No matter what, on turn 3 or later, whichever player draws Selim II plays it as an event and draw a replacement.

I think that covers everything? You have to do this, because there is no way to manually find Selim II from the draw pile and give it to the Ottomans. You have to just hope it shows up. With the HIS module there is a similar problem, because there are certain mandatory events which have to be played at specific winter turns.

EDIT: Sorry if I broke it down too much.... I just wanted to cover every possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven, you the freaking man!!!! Thanks so much for the solutions. I was so overwhelmed as moderator at the end of turn one I couldn't think straight. My first full blown PBEM game with mostly new players. Rules are pretty solid but like any game playing it a few times sure does help.

Again thank you!
Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I could help! Good luck with your game and let us know how it ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin B.
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I see it, a real moderator, who is NOT one of the players, can look through the deck before card draw phase and give the card Selim II to the Ottomans. I don´t see, why this would not work.

Well, one would just mostly play without a moderator and therefor this option is not possible. But it would be, if you´d have one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgep wrote:
As far as I see it, a real moderator, who is NOT one of the players, can look through the deck before card draw phase and give the card Selim II to the Ottomans. I don´t see, why this would not work.

Well, one would just mostly play without a moderator and therefor this option is not possible. But it would be, if you´d have one.

Good point, but I am a player/Moderator (moderator in name only keeping things straight in Vassal and ACTS, no card privileges).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SW_Cygnus wrote:
3. If no one has Selim, the Ottomans play the turn as if they had three home cards (HC): Ottoman Tribute, Grand Vizier and Selim II.
What if Ottomans later that turn have to give a random card to someone? I suppose there is no way to make Selim II one of the drawable cards without other players finding out what was drawn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Fielmann wrote:
I suppose there is no way to make Selim II one of the drawable cards without other players finding out what was drawn?

You can make it slightly better than completely open information. Say the Ottoman has 6 non-home cards, including Selim. Roll a die and if it's a 6, you draw Selim, otherwise you get a random card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.