Hide
9 Posts

Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tash Kalar - central green/red squares. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anonymous Anonymous
msg tools
Earlier today I played a game of Tash Kalar with three members of my family. We played the deathmatch version of the game, but during the game we had a difference of interpretation - and this, as you might have guessed, is why I'm making this thread.

In the game, there is a Highlander card called the Werewolf. This card has the following description:
"If the Werewolf was sommoned on a non-central red or green square, it may do up to 3 combat moves. Otherwise it may do 1 standard move."

The werewolf was, during our game, summoned on the inner most square on the board (a red square). One family member claimed that this square had to be considered a central red square, meaning the summoned werewolf only had 1 standard move. He said, this was because the inner most square most obviously was in center of the board, and the card stated that it would only do 3 combat moves, if created on a non-central red or green square. The summoner argued that central squares were only considered a part of the High Form version of the game, and thus there was no central squares on the Deathmatch version. He pointed towards a statement in the rulebook, where it stated something about the High Form having marked central squares. The other argued that there was indeed only marked central squares on the High Form, but that that didn't mean there was no central squares on the Deathmatch version.
The summoner argued that there weren't any green central squares on the Deathmatch version, and the other argued that nor was there any green on the High Form - thus counter responding that arguement. The arguement was never resolved and I'm asking you guys to make your interpretations of the rules - and if it's not too much to ask; a reason for your interpretations.

Thank you very much for reading this request, and every answer is much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The term "central" is not given any kind of technical definition in the rules, so I would reason that it is being used in its 'plain' sense.

The Deathmatch board still has a center square. MAYBE someone could argue about whether the squares around it (which are "central squares" on the High Form board) are still "central" during a Deathmatch, but the very center space of the board has to be "a central square".

I can't see a reason why the Werewolf should work differently in High Form and Deathmatch, nor are there (if I remember correctly) any other faction cards which care about the differences between the two game modes.

The argument given by the summoner in your game seems so bad that I would assume he only found it convincing because it favored him. I don't like playing games with people who do that.

All that said, the player who summoned the werewolf should be able to take the move back if everybody else agrees it doesn't work the way he thought it would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Cocks
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm 99.99% sure the central squares are the shaded block of 9 in the center. Given so many highform 'quests' focus on that center area it makes sense to give a penalty for that being being summoned in an area that already confers advantages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElPrezAU wrote:
I'm 99.99% sure the central squares are the shaded block of 9 in the center. Given so many highform 'quests' focus on that center area it makes sense to give a penalty for that being being summoned in an area that already confers advantages.

While I agree, I would also suggest that the red center space is a "central" square independent of the shading. Vlaada uses pretty plain language most of the time, and that's as plain as you can get.

In addition, if you observe that the boards are 9 squares across, and the Werewolf gets to make 3 combat moves in that circumstance, you'd note that if you permit the center square to count, it has the capability to destroy any (non-legendary) piece or occupy any space except those that reside on the board edges. That's pretty powerful in its own right, simply by its exceptional range coupled with a central board position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnnie Lieske
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't believe it is referring to the Central Squares but to the central square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So why does it say green? The possibility of an expansion board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spath
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it should be parsed as "[non-central red] or [green] space".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm Zombiegod's interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.