Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pablo Zamalvide
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am aware that the game is completely well balanced and questioning Vlaada Chvátil is akin to a sin, but I am a curious person by nature, and I have a thought experiment in mind - how would replacing the "no event" card with a "build free philosophy" impact the game? Apart from making it even more attractive to have that one extra worker available, naturally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonas havreglid
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am ambivalent towards the idea. It would be a bit awkward as you usually build a philosophy as fast as possible. If you do so you could miss out on significant windfall, if you do not your science lags behind. It adds a bit of randomness but it also makes the opening less scripted. I think it would make printing press a bit worse which is bad but early governments a bit better which is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leon Trotsky wrote:
I am aware that the game is completely well balanced and questioning Vlaada Chvátil is akin to a sin

Fear not, my child. Vlaada himself has said that the next edition of the game might contain some small changes for balance. You are free of sin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzy Vitale
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
When empty, please refill with tea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, interesting idea. It doesn't seem to be that different from other Age A cards that allow you to build a free temple or a free warrior. Science points are really important at the beginning, but so is happiness and I think getting the free temple can be a serious make-you-or-break-you event, especially if you don't have that extra worker and your opponent does. So I think getting an extra lab is slightly less advantageous than getting an extra temple.

Give it a few plays and see how it works out! Nothing satisfies curiosity like experimentation, good luck!

[We usually just take "No Event" out of the deck because we really don't like that card.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzy Vitale
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
Leon Trotsky wrote:
I am aware that the game is completely well balanced and questioning Vlaada Chvátil is akin to a sin

Fear not, my child. Vlaada himself has said that the next edition of the game might contain some small changes for balance. You are free of sin.

Really?? Where did you hear this? So curious to hear about anything TtA related!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
suzyvitale wrote:
Really?? Where did you hear this? So curious to hear about anything TtA related!

I seem to have been wrong-- it was a CGE news post, not a post by Vlaada. But anyway, it's here: http://czechgames.com/en/home/cge-digital/

Quote:
With the help of the online community that has been playing the game for years, we will rebalance some cards and adjust a few details for smoother gameplay. And we are considering including additional cards, for higher variability.

We decided to do all this work not just because of the digital version. Simultaneously, we plan to work on a new edition of the physical board game that will feature similar improvements. Both versions will be released once we are satisfied with them. Currently we expect that this will happen next year, so you can expect the new version of the board game at Essen 2015.

I had also forgotten that they declared they were targeting Essen 2015 for it! I thought it was just "someday". So that's nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzy Vitale
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
With the help of the online community that has been playing the game for years, we will rebalance some cards and adjust a few details for smoother gameplay. And we are considering including additional cards, for higher variability.

We decided to do all this work not just because of the digital version. Simultaneously, we plan to work on a new edition of the physical board game that will feature similar improvements. Both versions will be released once we are satisfied with them. Currently we expect that this will happen next year, so you can expect the new version of the board game at Essen 2015.

Quote:
I had also forgotten that they declared they were targeting Essen 2015 for it! I thought it was just "someday". So that's nice.

WOOHOOOOOOO!! Thanks for posting this! I can't wait to see what the new version looks and plays like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.