Coup: Reformation» Forums » Variants

Subject: Inquisitor makes the endgame boring? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Thomas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first couple of games with the Inquisitor variant (while using Reformation, and 5 players). I have some reservations about it, which I feel this blog post sums up well, particularly about when a player only has one influence left:

Quote:

"But the Inquisitor has a fatal flaw – it destroys the fundamental foundation of Coup. Coup is built on bluffing and claiming. The Inquisitor takes that away. If an inquisitor power goes through, then the inquisitor player gets to know what the other player has. Which means, the ability to bluff is dramatically reduced.

This is especially terrible when the target only has one card. It effectively removes them from the game. If I have an inquisitor and I use it on someone with one card, I’ve just eliminated them. Either they call my bluff and lose, or they let me look at their card. Now I know what they have, they can no longer bluff, and they are effectively out of the game."

From here: http://gfbrobot.com/2014/02/05/variant-coup-the-inquisitor-a...

In our second game we ended up with a situation where 3 players had no ability to bluff due to being down to one card and having been Inquisited. So there was no intrigue, just an anticlimax.

The ability seems very powerful against someone with one card left, especially since it can't be blocked, and can even be used against someone in the same faction.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it worth sticking with for a few more games? Are there any ways to counter this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
(Should this be in the Reformation forums?)

I think anything that makes the endgame quicker is good, and Inquisitor also gives incentive to bluff an inquisitor early to force out a real inquisitor. Inquisitor certainly helps balance the Duke claims.

But, I'm generally a person who loves the challenge of finding counters/solutions to seemingly overpowered things, so your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Coup: General to Coup Reformation: Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Leite
Brazil
Campinas / Atibaia
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it was a flaw.. I do prefer the inquisitor compared with embassador.

you say: a person with one card is out of game... because he will never doubt right? so just start to claim that YOU are the inquisitor even if you aren't... it will works a lot in the beginning, but not fovever... Also if a peron star to claim a lot the inquisitor the people will start to see you as a target, like " i dont want him to know what I am, so I will kill him sooner!"...

i think that all the cards have the same level of power, and any initial setup has the same potential to you win, because it's a bluff game, and it don't has a "perfect way" of thinking, if you believe that "always that I(or he) have this card I(or he) will behave like this" is the first sign that you will be a lot predictable and you will believe in every one bluff =p

I think just because you start to play now with the inquisitor you think that.. m grupo played with him since the first ks edition, and nobody thought like you. but when after a while I put back the embassador they thought the embassador was overpowered.. i just think it is a period to adapt you group think with new card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our experience is also that the Inquisitor seems over-powered in the end game, because a targeted player with only one influence loses any ability to bluff. Many consider the Contessa too weak (see: Contessa too weak?), so I like the suggestion to give the Contessa the additional ability of blocking the Inquisitor, as an elegant fix for both issues.

The designer Rikki Tahta acknowledged that he doesn't regularly play with the Inquisitor, and has responded favourably to this suggested variant. See this thread for more discussion:

Inquisitor + Contessa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Thomas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply and the thread links. That sounds like an interesting variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.