Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian V.
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I think the graphic art for the cover is great. I mean really really great. A fantastic font combined with one the strongest cover images I have seen for a board game in a while, including other genres.

And still, I have an ambivalent feeling about the choice for this image. The helicopters with the setting sun in the back... That immediately brings up romantic connotations a la "Miss Saigon" and other reflections of the war in pop culture. I'm not an expert on the Vietnam War, but despite my admiration for the current cover, I think I would have preferred a more drastic image in order to remind me of the brutalities of the conflict that I'm about to replay.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the first thing the cover reminds me is Apocalypse Now. Did you see the movie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian V.
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have seen the film many years ago, yes... but not the movie poster. Well, now I did see the movie poster - and the resemblance to FitL cover, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:
Well, the first thing the cover reminds me is Apocalypse Now. Did you see the movie?

Indeed!

Of course, if it had been me, I would have published the game in flatbox format so I could use this image, since it's one of my favorites...

...you know, the smell of napalm in the morning, and all that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian V.
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The association I had in mind before I read your replies was the one below (an extremely good poster, too, by the way. I think it inspired the original Settlers-Cover).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, just take a look at the descriptive text on the back of the box. The first thing it says is, "Never get out of the boat", which is a direct quote from Apocalypse Now. Clearly the art direction is meant to make the association with the movie. I don't know if that's really a good thing because instead of evoking the actual Vietnam War, it evokes Hollywood's Vietnam War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the cover is dramatic enough as it is. Especially with the two helicopters whose rotors have detached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian V.
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone told me that the photo displayed on the first page of the play book (the one that shows a burning hut in the back with a soldier in the foreground) was initially supposed to become the cover image. Is it true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Adrian, great thread.

No, not true. I selected that photo to adorn the playtest version of the Rules, and Mark Simonitch kept it for the production Rules booklet. For details of the photo, go to Wikimedia Commons ( http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page) and search on "viet cong base camp".

The cover by Rodger came about as it did because, as soon as Mark Herman and I saw this P500 graphic from him, we wanted something like this for the box:

Regards! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo D'Ulisse
Italy
ROMA
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From all these drawings it seems in Vietnam there should be wonderful dawns or sunsets...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Bednarek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I think the cover image is fantastic and evocative of the Vietnam War.
Very similar to Apocalypse Now, although I much prefer Apocalypse Now Redux.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Morris
Canada
Creston
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first saw the cover art for Fire in the Lake, 'The End' by the Doors started playing in my head
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Potter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This cover makes me feel kind of uneasy, which is appropriate given the subject matter, I think it's an incredible cover.

collezionista wrote:
From all these drawings it seems in Vietnam there should be wonderful dawns or sunsets...

There are indeed! And much more beautiful these days without helicopters to block the view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Heron
Poland
Krakow
małopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cover concept's not original but it looks good.

Definitely a Coppola-inspired font, but at least that means FitL won't be ending up on this geeklist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Heron
Poland
Krakow
małopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even Coppola wasn't original, taking the basics of his plot, character names, etc. from Joseph Conrad.

So yeah, it's difficult to say that anyone or anything in our 'postmodern' era is original. Just look at the cover of Silver Bayonet: The First Team in Vietnam, 1965

Of course from the commercial perspective the FitL cover is the ideal choice - anyone seeing that box on a shop shelf will instantly know it's a game about the Vietnam War.

Another positive aspect of the cover is its neutrality. It's neither jingoistic and gung-ho nor condemnatory. The same can be said for the game itself. This is one of the strengths of the COIN series I believe - that it doesn't shy away from the negative aspects of Western power, it even highlights the cynicism that is such a large influence on the exercise of that power.

For instance, in FitL, the way the US, once enough Support has been gained and/or enough troops have been released from Out of Play, can pull off a 'get the hell out' withdrawal (especially if they get to play Great Society at an opportune time) and call that a military 'victory' (even if large swathes of South Vietnam happen to be under NVA control) seems to me a darkly ironic reflection of the power of public opinion (and looming elections). In other words, if your electorate says you won the war, then hell, you won the war.

Edit: added mention of Great Society
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.