Space Cadets: Dice Duel» Forums » Variants

Subject: Null Movement Option rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Osmanski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I am considering replacing one of the two "straight ahead one square" arrows on the Helm dice with a "Null movement" option. This option would keep the ship in the same square, with the same facing.

The idea is to allow the ship to move less than three squares if the Helm officer thinks that is a good idea. All three Helm dice must still be on the Helm display, and three Power dice must have been sent to Helm to make it so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
The three-dice-to-move mechanic is a very accurate simulation of the Reynolds-Hakim Mark 2 ion drives. I actually was able to obtain technical documentation and speak with several former helmsmen who confirmed the accuracy.

Of course if you wish to simulate the proposed Mark 3 drives, with their null plasma containment system, it's your game. But I don't go in for speculative sims. I prefer mine grounded in hard-hitting research.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Osmanski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It is, of course, a matter of choice.

I prefer to have more choices, which is another way to say I prefer there to be more errors for my opponents to make. (I, of course, never make errors. Even when I face an unshielded flank to the enemy's loaded tubes at range 1, I meant to do that. It's all part of my nefarious plan.arrrh)

As the game stands, you know your enemy will have to move at least three squares when he does move. He may not end up three squares away from where he was, but he will move at least three squares.

More importantly (to me) is that there are some moves you just cannot make with the current three-dice-to-move mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The null face sounds like a way to make the helm's job easier. IMO, the helm's job doesn't need to be easier--the helmsman just needs to be better at maneuvering within the 3-die system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Osmanski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
That is one way to look at it. I just like having more options.

Of course, this is a game, not a simulation. One needs to think of it as a game. The real reason the ships move with the three-dice-to-move mechanic is the same reason the knight in a game of chess moves two squares one way and one square the other; because that's the way the piece moves in that game. If the pieces move a different way, you have a different game.

Which was really Geoff's point in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
The three-dice-to-move mechanic is a very accurate simulation of the Reynolds-Hakim Mark 2 ion drives. I actually was able to obtain technical documentation and speak with several former helmsmen who confirmed the accuracy.

Of course if you wish to simulate the proposed Mark 3 drives, with their null plasma containment system, it's your game. But I don't go in for speculative sims. I prefer mine grounded in hard-hitting research.

Geoff

Geoff,

Come on... As you know, the Mark 3 drives are experimental only. I cannot recommend to anyone to attempt to use these types of engines, as doing so is fraught with peril.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:
engelstein wrote:

Geoff

Geoff,

Come on... As you know, the Mark 3 drives are experimental only. I cannot recommend to anyone to attempt to use these types of engines, as doing so is fraught with peril.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

As long as you don't cross the beams you should be OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.