Popular Tags: [View All]
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He has just discovered board games and keeps his "Vancouver in a box" all set up in his room. Unfortunately he lives too far away, so I can't be around to teach him any games, and his parents are not into the hobby. He also has a three year old brother, so it would be neat to find one that they would enjoy together.

So far I am thinking Forbidden Island because it can be played solo.

But I'd like to pick out a couple for Christmas, and pass on the recommendations to other family members too.

What do you think? What other games should he get for Christmas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my 7 yr old nephew Forbidden Desert actually, he foudn Island pretty straight forward when he played with me (his "games buddy" )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you need to be very conscious of that fact that a) He's 8 and b) No one else is going to take an interest.

Forbidden Island might seem straight forward to you, but there are plenty of people who will find the rules to be complicated.

I'll be buying Zooloretto: The Dice Game for a niece this Christmas. But I accept that she might not like it and it could end up in the bottom of the toy box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
The magic labyrinth is also a great game. It can be set for variable difficulty too, just add or subtract walls.

Other Drei Magier Speile games are also great for this age group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:
I'll be buying Zooloretto: The Dice Game for a niece this Christmas.

I was thinking almost the same thing: Zooloretto... Good call! Still need an adult to read the rules and get started, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice Tower has a contributor named "The Charters", comprised of a dad, his young daughter, and sometimes his daughter's friend. They tell you how to play and then play a few rounds. There are about eight or nine different games, and it might be worth viewing to get a young person's perspective. They are mostly beginner games.

"A Dad, A Son, and A Game" is video run-through with a parent and a young son, and is also worth watching. They also play a few rounds, and the interaction between dad and son is interesting. The games they review are more advanced than the games that The Charters review.

For me, "Stratego" was the step-up from "Monopoly", "Clue", and "Careers". That was fifty years ago, and the options were pretty limited! Whatever game you decide on, I hope he likes it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regina Harris
United States
Maylene
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo would be my recommendation. My daughter could play it at 3 and it shouldn't be too hard for the parents. It also doesn't run overly long so the non-gaming parents will be willing to play again. The Adventurers Pyramid of Horus and Survive would be good options too. I give a thumbs up to Forbidden Island as well although the 3 year old probably won't be able to play it. Having played with my kids and the Cub Scouts I have found heavy themed games go over well with that age group. My kids like Monopoly too and there is nothing wrong with playing that either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coconuts. Those monkeys will get his parents interested for at least a game, and the game will bring'em back for more... The younger brother could play, too, provided he remembers that coconuts are not food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While those games are easy for people on our level, I personally actually think that games like Forbidden Desert and King of Tokyo actually may be too much for some little kids to handle without any guidance, even if they're 8 or they play monopoly.

Some simple games that I think would do well, given the age of him and his brother, easing him in are:

Hey! That's My Fish (which really only has the one rule of getting the fish of the space you're on running the whole game)

No Thanks! (the only two moves are either Pass with a chip or Take the card with a chip)

maybe For Sale (assuming he can understand how bidding and taking the lowest card works)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
maybe For Sale (assuming he can understand how bidding and taking the lowest card works)

I've actually played with 8 year olds. One sort-of understood that he should not spend all his money right away (although was not exactly what to bid when); the other happily spent all his money right away. Both had fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Munchkin Treasure Hunt is pretty good. It's still got roll and move which kids seem to love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
To take it in the slightly different direction how about Corporate Pursuit? Think of it as a more complicated version of Monopoly. Instead of buying a property out right when you land on it, you purchase a share of the company. Later you can buy more shares, but in the meantime other players may have bought shares as well. So you can either try to form partnerships and get the "100% owned" bonus or each continue on their own. The basic mechanics should be similar enough to Monopoly though that adding in the complexity should be easy.

I would think Ticket to Ride would be easy enough for him to pick up as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Lowery
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Ticket to Ride.

I remember (vaguely) being an 8 year old boy just finding my love for all things boardgaming. The most important part for me was the board! I think he will be fascinated with the map for TTR especially as it has Vancouver on it. It is an easy game to teach and pick up and can be played at a lot of levels.

An easy card style game would be Sushi Go! Lots of fun, easy to teach, start him on some gamer concepts (i.e. drafting).

Just my two cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks All!

I think I'm going to share these recommendations with a bunch of people, as everyone was already thinking of giving him a board game. My sister was thinking of just giving him a different version of monopoly, but I'll push her to get a better game instead.

And for his parents, I think I'll suggest TTR, because then they can follow up with other maps if they'd like - or move into other games, depending on how long this interest lasts. And definitely start with the original TTR, so that Vancouver is included on the map

It's funny, the simpler suggestions (like Coconuts or even Sushi Go) are great because they'd be easier for him to teach to other friends and hopefully to his brother). But the more complicated suggestions, like Corporate Pursuit, also sound promising.

Thank you for the recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trish G
msg tools
I found this thread because I am looking for games for my niece's 8th birthday. She's the youngest and just wants to be big enough to play games that her older sister and mom play. Eight seems to be the magical age requirement.

The parents here are also not into strategy games... until I started sending the oldest kid games. I'm far enough away that I don't get to play with them enough.

I started them off with Ticket to Ride - Nordic and Dominion. TTR was an immediate hit and she and her mom played constantly. Also, now her mom is showing more interest in strategy games (so a double win here for the kid!) Nordic was a specific choice because it is geared towards 2-3 players, so it is easier for her to find someone to play. There's just too much room on the US map for it to be competitive for 2 players. They now have that map and the younger one started joining in at age 7. The cool part about TTR is that if you get the kid hooked, you can always play him online or he can play against AI on the computer. This game spans all ages and their 84 yo grandmother joins in (though you have to explain the rules a lot.)

Dominion was taken out briefly and they couldn't figure out how to play and it got put back into the box until I was able to get out there for a visit. She loves it now that she knows how to play.

I don't know often you get to visit your cousin, but I'd suggest showing up with a pile of your games and teaching them to the kids. I do that with my older niece and I have a really good idea of what kinds of games to get her. I don't know what the younger one likes yet (other than just being included).

I strongly suggest TTR. It is the perfect "suck 'em into becoming gamers" game. The instructions are 2 pages long, which is ideal for beginning gamers when they can't be taught in person.

Forget about games both kids can play. The 3 yo doesn't have the attention span needed to play any meaningful game. I'd focus on getting the older one games that adults will like to play.

My almost 8 yo niece has/plays:

TTR
Spot (the 3 yo might be able to play this, although it's more of a party game than a strategy game.)
Can't Stop

For her birthday, I am considering:

Small World
Pastiche (because grandma plays this one.)
Coloretto
Settlers
????

I'm looking to get a list of maybe 10 games and then I'll ask her older sister to recommend since she is much more aware of the little ones abilities.

Although not perfect, we've tried teaching over Skype. It takes patience. A lot of patience. It's best if the one learning has experience with the sub genre first.

Hope this helps!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrishMN wrote:
Forget about games both kids can play. The 3 yo doesn't have the attention span needed to play any meaningful game. I'd focus on getting the older one games that adults will like to play.

Agreed, a 3 year old can play some games but it takes patience to play games with someone that age as it's likely to be a bit random whether they want to play the game by the rules or play with the game pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Phillips
United States
Sugar Hill
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would look at Zeus on the Loose, a fun little addition game with mild take that Labyrinth: The Card Game, a fun maze game, but, it may be out of print. My 7 yo niece loved Kill Doctor Lucky, I think you can still get it through Piezo games. just my $.02 from a very new gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrishMN wrote:

zabdiel wrote:
Agreed, a 3 year old can play some games but it takes patience to play games with someone that age as it's likely to be a bit random whether they want to play the game by the rules or play with the game pieces.

The only one that I could think of that would have any hope of the 3 year old playing was PitchCar, but I think it's too expensive a gift unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start them out right with Case Blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Machi Koro, as it has a similar theme, is easy to learn, and can be a little cutthroat too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanAtta
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Hey, That's My Fish!
+1 King of Tokyo
+1 Sushi Go!
also check out:
Camel Up
Jamaica
Takenoko
Walk the Plank!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.