Popular Tags: [View All]
Florent Herbinger
Canada
Shad Bay
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Push dem cubes!
badge
hmmmm, wooden cubes... Cubes with theme, you say? That's perfection.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

"Massdrop" is a popular group buy site where the community comes together to vote on what product they want to see "dropped" next. If there are enough votes on a particular product in a poll and the staff is able to get a deal with the company making the product, then users can go ahead and buy or commit to buying the product at a discounted price. I've seen products that have been discounted at more than 80% of the MSRP! (Edit: I am not referring to board games in particular)

It is a great system and I think the BoardGameGeek community should come along for the ride and start voting on board games! The staff of Massdrop will take notice of the increased interest in board games and more drops will come in the future.

Just as a heads up, you have to create an account to access the site.

At the moment there is a drop on a Dominion Mega Bundle that looks sweet.

There are numerous board game polls that need voting, so come-on BGG, start clicking!

Cheers,

Flo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
BiteTheDust wrote:
I've seen products that have been discounted at more than 80% of the MSRP!

please elaborate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schumacher
United States
International Falls
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
BiteTheDust wrote:

please elaborate!

Yes, please do. I have yet to see a deal on MassDrop that CSI/MM/Cardhaus doesn't beat with every day prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
tubedogg wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
BiteTheDust wrote:

please elaborate!

Yes, please do. I have yet to see a deal on MassDrop that CSI/MM/Cardhaus doesn't beat with every day prices.

Admittedly, Massdrop does slightly beat CSI/MM/Cardhaus with the Gloom Bundle. $42 + $5 shipping. CSI/MM/Cardhaus all have the bundle for $47, but that doesn't include shipping. Granted, there's free shipping at $100, but for the people who just want the Gloom bundle, Massdrop is cheaper.

OTOH, Massdrop has an estimated ship date of December 4. For an order placed today, any online retailer will beat that.

I figure Massdrop will never have anything that will blow me away, but it may occasionally have something worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
nbergom wrote:
tubedogg wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
BiteTheDust wrote:

please elaborate!

Admittedly, Massdrop does slightly beat CSI/MM/Cardhaus with the Gloom Bundle. $42 + $5 shipping. CSI/MM/Cardhaus all have the bundle for $47, but that doesn't include shipping. Granted, there's free shipping at $100, but for the people who just want the Gloom bundle, Massdrop is cheaper.

$42 is more than 80% off MSRP? Which implies MSRP is at least $210?

elaborate more, base poster has seen "products" (plural) at more than 80% off MSRP....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schumacher
United States
International Falls
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
nbergom wrote:
tubedogg wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
BiteTheDust wrote:

please elaborate!

MSRP $69.80 (according to Massdrop).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
nbergom wrote:
tubedogg wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
BiteTheDust wrote:

please elaborate!

elaborate more, base poster has seen "products" (plural) at more than 80% off MSRP....

I never made the claim of 80% off MSRP. I was just disagreeing with the notion that CSI/MM/Cardhaus were always beating Massdrop. Massdrop doesn't really offer big savings over C/M/C, but if you don't have a large enough order for C/M/C, and you're patient, Massdrop could be a decent option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Herbinger
Canada
Shad Bay
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Push dem cubes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
BiteTheDust wrote:

please elaborate!

OK. I was going from memory of previous sales. 80% might be pushing the limit and there aren't many sales that are so discounted; however, for example, there is currently an Ergotech Freestanding Triple Monitor Stand that is 69% off.

I have never seen a board game that is more discounted than 60%, but I have only started looking for board games on the site yesterday.

Edit: I have updated the original post to reflect what I meant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the poll???

I expected a vote based off the thread title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
1. Do MassDrop deals interest you?
Yes
No
Don't Care
2. Is registering for a site to see a deal worth it?
Yes
No
Don't Care
3. For registered members. After seeing a deal on a board game have you ever bought into a deal?
Yes
No
      20 answers
Poll created by Gejayge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Herbinger
Canada
Shad Bay
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Push dem cubes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gejayge wrote:
Where is the poll???

There are polls on the Massdrop site where users can vote for the products they want to see in group buys.

P.S: I don't know if the poll you added to the thread was for comedic purposes or serious, but thanks for adding one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BiteTheDust wrote:
Gejayge wrote:
Where is the poll???

There are polls on the Massdrop site where users can vote for the products they want to see in group buys.

P.S: I don't know if the poll you added to the thread was for comedic purposes or serious, but thanks for adding one!

Definately serious, though I can understand why you may have thought it had a comedic undertone.

I don't think a poll on the MassDrop website represents board game players opinion about a website. You would typically get a biased result towards people that think highly of said webiste, well because they are finding the poll by visiting it.

A poll on an impartial website dedicated to the hobby represents the community opinion much more clearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Herbinger
Canada
Shad Bay
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Push dem cubes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gejayge wrote:
BiteTheDust wrote:
Gejayge wrote:
Where is the poll???

[...] I don't think a poll on the MassDrop website represents board game players opinion about a website. [...]

I think we may have run into a bit of misunderstanding. The polls on Massdrop look like the one that I have included in this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which shows the games people would want to see a deal on. Not their view of impressions of the site. Very different polls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Herbinger
Canada
Shad Bay
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Push dem cubes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gejayge wrote:
Which shows the games people would want to see a deal on. Not their view of impressions of the site. Very different polls.

Fair enough. I can see how getting BoardGameGeekers' opinions on Massdrop is useful.

Voting for a particular board game on Massdrop was what I was getting with for the title: "Let's all vote [for board games] on Massdrop".

Maybe I should change the title? Anyway, based on the responses I have received in the two threads I have created, not many people seem to be enthralled with Massdrop. Ah well, at least I have a better idea that the drops aren't as good as they might seem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still post deals. Don't let anyone dissuade you from that.

If a single person saved some money on a deal you post it was well served. Just expect some discussion on how hot any deal you post is. It should be somewhat expected in this forum.

edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.