Subject: Sci-Fi version of "conquer/conquer" style game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin McClements
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My main gaming partners aren't really gamers. They also prefer sci-fi over fantasy.

Examples: I like D&D Attack Wing, but they only want to play X-Wing.
They do love Dominion. They enjoy Kingdom Builder.

What I want to introduce to them, however, is something like Rune Wars. I LOVE games that let you gather resources, raise armies, and conquer your enemies.

Problem is, I can't think of a sci-fi type gamer to do this.

I don't want a 4-hour game. I don't want a super-complicated game. In depth is good; science degree required, not good.

What do you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schomp
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Nexus Ops.

(Or Core Worlds / Eminent Domain / Race for the Galaxy if deck builderish card games are your thing.)

(Or Cosmic Encounter if you like negotiations and a more abstracted military component.)

Eclipse is probably pushing the 4-hour/complicated side of things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops

More old school, but has euro-ness is Amoeba Wars

Both are a bit of what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires: 4X

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/100057/item/1974724#it...

On the lighter side:
Mag·Blast (Second Edition)
Planet Busters
Starship Command (3rd Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
often wrote:

I love this game, but maybe a bit on the complex and long side in this case. But still a brilliant game and one of my all time favourites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium. I suggest checking out the 1st or 2nd editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Well if you're looking for a sci-fi version of Runewars, then Twilight Imperium is the obvious answer. It's not a 4 hour game of course (more like 13 hours =P) and it's definitely complex, but it's also the source inspiration for Runewars, so there are a lot of direct similarities.

As suggested above, you could try looking into first or second edition Twilight Imperium for a smaller version of the same game. 2E I recall being fairly long as well, but still significantly shorter than TI3. I don't think I ever played 1E.

Another game along these lines, which I find very good for exploration/army building and conquest is J.U.M.P. Into the Unknown. Very basic game - lots of pencil and paper action, so if minis are a requirement it might not work so well, but otherwise I think it would meet your needs nicely. (If you can find a copy, that is.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
For a slightly different approach, how about a card game/deck builder (especially if they already like Dominion) like Eminent Domain, and especially the Eminent Domain: Escalation expansion. I should be mentioned I haven't played Rune War but I know it is really not going to be like that. However, it does have the concept of gathering resources, creating armies (and this is not the only approach to victory if some people want to try other paths) and conquering your enemies (w/ the expansion rules). Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin McClements
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

I didnt mention that the boyz love Star Realms...so I'll look into Eminent Domain. Nexus Ops looks fun too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum lets you customise your technology and rewards aggressive play. I love this game. I recommend checking out Shutup & Sit Down's great review of it. May be something a bit different for your group and charmingly unique with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.