Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the second expansion for Claustrophobia, after De Profundis introduced new humans and hellhounds for the Demon player, among other things. Furor Sanguinis goes an entirely different route, introducing a third faction: the squamata is one big figure that has a board similar to the Demon player’s, where dice are assigned to different parts of his gigantic body. He has 13 health divided across the different parts, and if a part ‘dies’, its powers can no longer be used. His (rather large) miniature is the only one in the box, along with some tokens, 3 cardboard tiles, and six dice – it’s a lot less physical content than the last expansion, but the same MSRP ($50). I realize they probably didn’t want to print a single card, but one of the new Demons is just printed in the scenario of the rulebook, and that felt a bit corner-cutty. The actual pieces in the box look great, though.

Claustrophobia is the kind of game that appeals to me – a Descent-style dungeon crawl that can be done in 30-45 minutes instead of several hours. However, I always felt that playing as the humans was nowhere near as much fun as all the cool things the Demon player could do. This expansion lets you pit the squamata against either other faction, but to me, it’s a chance to ditch those boring humans. We had great fun pitting the squamata against the Demon’s hordes of Troglodytes, and the first scenario felt more ‘even’ – like a battle between two titans instead of David vs. Goliath. There are some awkward things with the rules and the old material since so much of it references Humans, but it seemed like we were able to properly infer everything we needed to know from the Furor Sanguinis rulebook. We never felt baffled by any of the rules differences. The later scenarios let you pair the squamata with humans as well, which is cool, but the focus is still on the squamata and all of his cool new powers.

However, while this change was a lot more fun, it moves the game farther away from what you might want from a typical dungeon crawl. Part of the appeal for some is the idea of a party of adventurers questing into the dungeon, although Claustrophobia has that unique ‘invasion of Hell’ New Jerusalem spin on it (which I could take or leave). And if you haven’t invested in Claustrophobia but are excited about this mode of play, you’re looking at a hefty $120 MSRP investment (without considering De Profundis). However, if you’re already committed and, like me, find the humans underwhelming, you absolutely should pick up Furor Sanguinis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
it’s a lot less physical content than the last expansion, but the same MSRP ($50).

Shouldn't that be: MSRP $35?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I like Claustrophobia precisely because it isn't much like Descent.

Space Hulk is the closest analogy in game-play; it lacks the force of immersion of the GW classic, but I much prefer it in every other way.

I'd caution against anyone seeing Claustrophobia as an adventuring game - it's much more an asymmetrical and desperate knife-fight with a quirky Eurotrash backdrop.

Favourite game ever .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
aldaryn wrote:
it’s a lot less physical content than the last expansion, but the same MSRP ($50).

CSI and MM have $35, and that would change my opinion somewhat. But I've asked Asmodee's rep repeatedly by email, and she insist it's $50. Time will tell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
kostool13 wrote:
aldaryn wrote:

CSI and MM have $35, and that would change my opinion somewhat. But I've asked Asmodee's rep repeatedly by email, and she insist it's $50. Time will tell?

CSI not only shows $35 as the suggested retail price; they are selling it for $23.99. I have one pre-ordered...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
However, if you’re already committed and, like me, find the humans underwhelming, you absolutely should pick up Furor Sanguinis.

I'm definitely committed, but I don't find the humans underwhelming at all. I simply think Claustrophobia is THE best short-playing-time fantasy adventure/slugfest ever, and I'm dying to see what Croc has added to the mix.

The way Claustrophobia: De Profundis fitted seamlessly into the system dispelled any last doubts I might have had about expansions. When I heard Croc had another in the works, it was an auto-buy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
aldaryn wrote:
kostool13 wrote:
aldaryn wrote:

CSI not only shows $35 as the suggested retail price; they are selling it for $23.99. I have one pre-ordered...

Yeah, definitely preorder and hope they honor it, if the price really is wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always prefer playing as humans: surviving with human warriors is the most thrilling experience. And not something easy to do.
On the other hand, the Demon player has more options and must skillfully distribute his destiny dice. It's fun, too, but knowing you have a time to build your forces gives you more comfortable position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it seamlessly integrate with the base game?

Do the cards have an icon or symbol on them that identifies it as an expansion card?

One of the problems of De Profundis was that it was an either/or sort of deal. You removed components from the base game and mixed what was left with the new components and played. You could not get an "all-in" experience - i.e. convicts AND Siccora.

There were posts that said they were trying to prevent such a recurrence - I was hoping to get some confirmation on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seppel (BGG)
Germany
Kirchzarten
B-W
flag msg tools
Meowww
mbmbmbmb
yes it does - since there are no new cards devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, there aren't any new cards. Just the new big figurine, tokens, new tiles, and new scenarios. In fact, the 1 demon card that should have been new is instead just printed on the rulebook in the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
IIRC, there aren't any new cards. Just the new big figurine, tokens, new tiles, and new scenarios. In fact, the 1 demon card that should have been new is instead just printed on the rulebook in the scenario.

Seriously?

*checks component list*

That's it? A miniature, a few bits and a rulebook?

I dunno - I can get a decent game for that price.

Maybe I'll sit this expansion out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaMatra wrote:
aldaryn wrote:

Seriously?

*checks component list*

That's it? A miniature, a few bits and a rulebook?

I dunno - I can get a decent game for that price.

Maybe I'll sit this expansion out.

For what it's worth, retailers seem to think the MSRP is $34.99, not $49.99 as I was told.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordish
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like Claustrophobia and 1st expansion. However, I wish the different character classes had a more distinctive play style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.