Subject: Looting discarded treasure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mrjr_rsp [+] [View All]
John
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone! I'm a brand new Magic Realm player and I'm still struggling to grok some of the core concepts. I think I know the answer to this question, but the answer that I think I know is pretty harsh so I thought I'd ask the community.

Question: Do you use the Loot search table to pick up a treasure that you or another character have dropped for some reason?

Situation from my game: I played the First Encounter from the 2nd Edition rules last night, solo and playing the Amazon and the White Knight. The Amazon found the Chest but did not have the Lost Keys to open it. Since the Chest has Tremendous weight she was going to be unable to carry it with her when she left the clearing so she just dropped it. (She really didn't need to drop it until she left the clearing though.) The White Knight bought the keys from a native and headed over to the clearing that had the Chest in it. The Chest was now the 2nd treasure in the clearing, with one treasure on top of it, several below it (see the last paragraph of this post for an explanation of why), and a face-up Toadstool Circle at the very bottom. As I understand it, the White Knight needed to roll a 2 on the Loot table to pick up the treasure. Likewise, if the Amazon were to return to the clearing she too would need to roll a 2 to acquire the Chest that she had hidden away there. Am I correct?

Commentary: This really does seem pretty hardcore compared with how other games would do it, but I guess life is tough in the Magic Realm. One way that the White Knight could have more easily scored the Chest in my session would have been to convince the Amazon to stay in the clearing until he got there. As long as she didn't actually have to leave the clearing the Chest would still be in her possession and they could trade once the White Knight arrived.

Obligatory noob "Oh my goodness!" moment from the session: The Amazon was having a great time looting the Hoard while holding the Lucky Charm. It was taking awhile since she was in a cave and there was a gigantic dragon in the clearing with her, but she scored some nice loot and discovered the Toadstool Circle. Time was running short on the game and she wanted to get out of there to sell off some stuff, but on the other hand she couldn't leave without checking out the Toadstool Circle! So during birdsong I recorded a Hide, one more Search, then a Move to leave the clearing. Bam! Power of the Pit. BAM! Terror: All Light & Medium chits wounded. That left her with a single unwounded chit, her Fight H4**. And... then she had to do that Move action without a Move chit, leaving behind almost every item she had acquired. Oh, the humanity! I learned an important lesson last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, I just realized that I did something wrong in the situation I described in the original post. When the Amazon dropped the Chest and when she was forced to discard her non-Negligible treasures she should have dropped them all in the clearing, not in the Hoard. Right? Or are the treasures in a clearing and the treasures in that clearing's Hoard all considered to be in one stack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Feelitmon wrote:
Oops, I just realized that I did something wrong in the situation I described in the original post. When the Amazon was forced to discard her non-Negligible treasures she should have dropped them in the clearing, not in the Hoard. Right? Or are the treasures in a clearing and the treasures in that clearing's Hoard all considered to be in one stack?

They are considered to be two separate stacks. The Hoard stack is on the terasure set-up card while everything lost in the clearing is stacked on the tile itself.

Everything else looks like you played correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
They are considered to be two separate stacks. The Hoard stack is on the terasure set-up card while everything lost in the clearing is stacked on the tile itself.

Everything else looks like you played correct!

And the Chest should have been in the clearing too, now that I think about it. Cool, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paranoid Seer
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feelitmon wrote:

Obligatory noob "Oh my goodness!" moment from the session: The Amazon was having a great time looting the Hoard while holding the Lucky Charm. It was taking awhile since she was in a cave and there was a gigantic dragon in the clearing with her, but she scored some nice loot and discovered the Toadstool Circle. Time was running short on the game and she wanted to get out of there to sell off some stuff, but on the other hand she couldn't leave without checking out the Toadstool Circle! So during birdsong I recorded a Hide, one more Search, then a Move to leave the clearing. Bam! Power of the Pit. BAM! Terror: All Light & Medium chits wounded. That left her with a single unwounded chit, her Fight H4**. And... then she had to do that Move action without a Move chit, leaving behind almost every item she had acquired. Oh, the humanity! I learned an important lesson last night.

This reminds me of my very first magic realm game. Second edition, first encounter, my brother and I just starting on what would be a wonderful halfterm week playing it over and over again.

I read the rules and explained them to my brother. We discussed how there was no combat or anything, but a reference in the rules to how it was still possible to die thanks to some magical effects, but we could see from looking at it this was well nigh impossible.

So, he takes the berserker and I take the white knight. Sometime later in the game, we end up in the same clearing, where he finds the toadstool circle and decides to investigate it. Power of the pit. Double 1. We collapsed laughing.

We knew at that point we'd found a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Feelitmon wrote:
Do you use the Loot search table to pick up a treasure that you or another character have dropped for some reason?

In the basic game, yes.

Feelitmon wrote:
As I understand it, the White Knight needed to roll a 2 on the Loot table to pick up the treasure. Likewise, if the Amazon were to return to the clearing she too would need to roll a 2 to acquire the Chest that she had hidden away there. Am I correct?

Commentary: This really does seem pretty hardcore compared with how other games would do it, but I guess life is tough in the Magic Realm.

It seems "hardcore" only because the basic game rules do not make any special provisions for this situation. There are, however, optional rules that will let you do exactly what you were expecting to be able to do. I'll give the 3.1 rule numbers, as that's the rulebook I'm looking at, but these same optional rules are also in the 2nd edition rulebook (with different rule numbers).

10.A.4 Caching – This rule allows you to hide one or more items in a secret cache. You can easily recover any or all of the items in a cache that you created at any time, while other players would be forced to use Search & Loot to try to steal them.

10.A.5 Dropping and Losing Belongings – This rule gives you the option to drop one or more items in plain sight: any character can enter the clearing and recover these items without needing to make a loot roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrfan wrote:
This reminds me of my very first magic realm game. Second edition, first encounter, my brother and I just starting on what would be a wonderful halfterm week playing it over and over again.

I read the rules and explained them to my brother. We discussed how there was no combat or anything, but a reference in the rules to how it was still possible to die thanks to some magical effects, but we could see from looking at it this was well nigh impossible.

So, he takes the berserker and I take the white knight. Sometime later in the game, we end up in the same clearing, where he finds the toadstool circle and decides to investigate it. Power of the pit. Double 1. We collapsed laughing.

We knew at that point we'd found a classic.

Hah! Wow, rolling two 1's for the total party kill. That darn Toadstool Circle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
There are, however, optional rules that will let you do exactly what you were expecting to be able to do. I'll give the 3.1 rule numbers, as that's the rulebook I'm looking at, but these same optional rules are also in the 2nd edition rulebook (with different rule numbers).

10.A.4 Caching – This rule allows you to hide one or more items in a secret cache. You can easily recover any or all of the items in a cache that you created at any time, while other players would be forced to use Search & Loot to try to steal them.

10.A.5 Dropping and Losing Belongings – This rule gives you the option to drop one or more items in plain sight: any character can enter the clearing and recover these items without needing to make a loot roll.

Perfect, thank you! I didn't think to check the optional rules. The Caching and Dropping rules are just what I would hope to see for that situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.