Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Ryan
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be very cool if there was an app that could return a list of one's games that matched a simple query of parameters.

Here is why it would be great. I have lots of games now (about 250) and when we get together for game night, we always seem to spend 30 minutes deciding what to play. And it is rarely because we can't agree. It is usually because we are trying to figure out A) what games can accommodate the number of players we have, B) do we have new players to whom we want to introduce simpler games, C) how much time do we have, D) what theme/co-op, non-co-op do we want...

It would be great to have an app into which one put the above simple parameters and then it returns all the possibilities from one's game collection.

Just shooting from the hip, the following parameters would do the trick, I think.
Minimum players
Maximum players
Gateway or gamer's game
Time needed
Theme
Co-op or Non-co-op

The bare-bones parameters would probably have to be:
Number of players
Gateway or Gamer's Game
Time Needed

Of course, this would require logging all one's games with the above parameters, but I think most of us would enjoy that anyway.

There is probably not a big enough market to justify the development costs, but that would be a pretty cool app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are a lot of BGGers who are programmers actually, so I could see someone picking this up. I would myself, but I've never worked on an actual app before - how do I use BGG's api?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might get some attention for this idea if you post on the Geek Tools guild page. It doesn't sound too hard, but then again, I have not written any programs dealing with the BGG API.

I'd suggest posting on the guild. At the very least, you might get pointers as to what to do next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ryan
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas. I think I will do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.