Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having refused to play Magic due to a slightly obsessive nature, my wife and I recently picked up Heroes vs Monsters duel deck and have really enjoyed it. Great, fun and fast game with good variety and I guess as the decks were balanced, it never felt like anyone was getting crushed!

So, we do not want to go down the route of deck building though are just after some more pre-built decks.

Questions please - should we:

- get some more duel decks (there are quite a few available for £15 or under) to then play against the other duel deck we alrady have?

- seek out some of the old theme decks?

- take a look at some of the commander decks? There looks like a lot kf variety there, we will doubtfully play multiplayer though?

- Simply wait for the anthology duel deck box set out next month?

Again, absolutely no interest in deck building! I may never come out of that rabbit hole.

Any replies, much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait for anthology, make sure to prebook it if you can, it will have a very limited print run (I think it was something like 3,5 or 9 depending on WPN status. Might be a few more but still low numbers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Commander is best multiplayer as you can get a landslide pretty easily with just two. That being said they will have the greatest variety of cards, especially if you decide to build your own decks.

On the other hand, the vs. decks appear to be perfect for you as they are balanced and work well, so you might want to just stick with them. I don't think they are balanced against other vs. decks though. so you won't be able to mix and match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abravenewgeek wrote:
Having refused to play Magic due to a slightly obsessive nature, my wife and I recently picked up Heroes vs Monsters duel deck and have really enjoyed it. Great, fun and fast game with good variety and I guess as the decks were balanced, it never felt like anyone was getting crushed!

So, we do not want to go down the route of deck building though are just after some more pre-built decks.

Questions please - should we:

- get some more duel decks (there are quite a few available for £15 or under) to then play against the other duel deck we alrady have?

- seek out some of the old theme decks?

- take a look at some of the commander decks? There looks like a lot kf variety there, we will doubtfully play multiplayer though?

- Simply wait for the anthology duel deck box set out next month?

Again, absolutely no interest in deck building! I may never come out of that rabbit hole.

Any replies, much appreciated!

Duel Decks sound perfect for you and your wife.

They are released twice a year. They tend to play well against each other - each pairing of decks at least.

The Anthologies is a great way to get the early Duel Decks. 4 pairs of decks should offer a lot of replay options.

The pre-con Commander decks are geared to multi-player. As such, they aren't as good head's up. Also, bear in mind that 100-card singleton decks have much higher variance than the 60-card duel decks. So there are going to be more lop-sided Commander games than in the DD match ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
But for the same reason there will be more games of commander before you've seen every card than there will be for duel decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the newer Duel Decks tend to be better balanced against each other than the older ones. Although as someone mentioned above they are not balanced against the other sets of Duel Decks, so you'll want to play the decks against the deck their paired with. I'd highly recommend Speed vs. Cunning, it's as fun as the Heroes vs. Monsters (maybe even better).

For two players I'd also recommend getting a Fat Pack and assembling a Wizards Tower by shuffling the contents of the Fat Pack together into one massive deck (the 9 boosters + the land pack).

I'd also recommend picking up some booster packs and doing a Winchester draft. You just need six booster packs, and you can draft them over and over again. This will give you the fun of deck building without having to lose yourself in the sea of available possibilities that full on constructed offers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought a few duel decks and more recently have tried some of the preconstructed commander decks. They provide different experiences. The duel decks play faster but the decks are fairly consistent and they tend to match up in a certain way and get a bit predictable and repetitive after a while which to me is somewhat short. I also think that I'm some cases they are not that well balanced against each other.

Commander adds one important rule. One is the commander who is in the command zone what basically means that if it is not in play, it is always available to be cast even after it is destroyed but each time it costs 2 more mana to cast. Also, the life total is 40. Other changes are minor.

The games take longer what is not necessarily a bad thing but it is important to know. The complexity is very similar to a duel deck but the replayability is substantially higher since the decks are huge and at most one copy of each spell.

I like the current mono colored ones but the only 2013 commander deck I played even though had 3 colors, it was quite straight forward.

Additionally, Commander is designed as a casual format and it works very well at that. I've played it primarily as a 2-player game and it was really good although I admit others have a lot more experience.

I am under the impression you would really enjoy Commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll probably get more clunky games with Commander than with the Duel Decks. I'd go with the Duel Decks, though I don't have a strong opinion about whether you should get the big set of old ones coming out. You might like playing Duel Decks against Duel Decks from other pairs. Try it and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll probably get more clunky games with the Commander decks. I found them not very fun for two. I recommend the Duel Decks, though I don't have a strong opinion about whether you should get the upcoming big rerelease. You should try playing Duel Decks against Duel Decks from other pairs; you might like it. We do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
You'll probably get more clunky games with Commander than with the Duel Decks. I'd go with the Duel Decks, though I don't have a strong opinion about whether you should get the big set of old ones coming out. You might like playing Duel Decks against Duel Decks from other pairs. Try it and see.

Are you disagreeing with me? You suck. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get the anthology for MSRP, get it. It costs as much as a pricey boardgame, but it's suits exactly what you're looking for and you'll get a ton of replayabity with all the different matchups it offers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind let me give you a third option

In the past there have been planechase decks with plane cards and a planer die.

They where intended for multi player but can be played 1 vs 1.
They add a lot of flavor and chaos to the game.
You will have to buy the secondhand but they have given my play group
a lot of fun.

There are in total 8 decks ever made .

There is a wiki for the on the net so check it out .

Have fun with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the great replies! Going to grab some more duel decks then.

Cannot, must not, will not, expose myself to the invitable endorphin release that will accompany a booster pack being opened. Even when my wife rings the bell for dinner, I am salivating like an emaciated dachsund at the coney island fair.

Any more views on commander for just 2p? Looks like the variety could be really fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abravenewgeek wrote:

Any more views on commander for just 2p? Looks like the variety could be really fun!

As a (semi)-serious player, the Commander decks are the only precons I purchase, and I quite enjoy them, almost exclusively two player. Some are definitely more fun than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
abravenewgeek wrote:
It's not the worst thing you could buy, but about the seventeenth time you stumble across a card that is obviously meant for a multiplayer environment you will question why you aren't just playing "normal" Magic instead. I don't like Commander, and I like it even less for 2 players. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kasimirtlw wrote:
If you don't mind let me give you a third option

In the past there have been planechase decks with plane cards and a planer die.

They where intended for multi player but can be played 1 vs 1.
They add a lot of flavor and chaos to the game.
You will have to buy the secondhand but they have given my play group
a lot of fun.

There are in total 8 decks ever made .

There is a wiki for the on the net so check it out .

Have fun with it.

Thanks man. These do look good though the price for these things is way above RRP. Even the second hand ones!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
abravenewgeek wrote:
It's not the worst thing you could buy, but about the seventeenth time you stumble across a card that is obviously meant for a multiplayer environment you will question why you aren't just playing "normal" Magic instead. I don't like Commander, and I like it even less for 2 players. YMMV.

I personally enjoy Commander, but I agree that 2 player is not the best way to play the format, even with the precons. Those decks are crammed full of very swingy effects designed on effecting 3-6 player games that will really seem pointless or worse, overly cruel in 2 player play.

I'm not a huge fan of the duel decks, but honestly it sounds like your best option here. The decks are balanced against each other and have a advanced enough game play to avoid feeling too much like you're playing "junior level" Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally West
United States
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Zug Zug
mbmbmbmbmb
I have collected a few of the Preconstructed Duel Decks, my advice is stick with them and "pimp them out". They are themed, "complete" and require very little attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WallyTWest wrote:
They are themed...

This is a great point, if you're into that kind of thing. I don't personally care if the decks have a theme, but I know many players are very into that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The commander decks are themed as well, even if the themes tend to be more practical than flavourful. The new White commander deck is 'equipment matters', the new red one is 'artifact hijinks', the new green one is 'elves, elves, elves', etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.