Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Are there any restrictions on where you place trucks? Can I effectively plop 2 single trucks on totally separate arrows in the middle of territory I control? That is, not beside any other trucks and not beside a supply base. For example to move supplies from a Corp in one city to a Corp in an adjacent city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes.

You're talking about the, "Transport Supplies" action. Per the rules for this action on page 6... Yes, there ARE restrictions on where you can place trucks. The biggest restrictions are being allowed to place a truck on an arrow of your color only, and that the two areas on either end of the arrow (i.e., the two areas that supplies are being transported from/to) are under your control. And also, the arrow/connection where you're placing your truck has to be empty (i.e., it can't be occupied by another truck). It sounds like you already got this, so...

To your example, yes, you can do that. Nothing in the rules says you must be transporting from a supply base. You can transport supplies from any of your controlled areas that have supplies to any of your other controlled areas.

Though not part of your question, just watch that you don't bust the truck carry limit (5 supply pieces), each area's stock limit (6 pieces), and your place trucks limit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to make sure I understand Nick's question and Barry's response. Are you saying that, if I can place four trucks, can I make two or more independent supply lines? For example, if Patton could place four trucks, could he place a two truck line out of his Army Supply base and another two truck supply line coming out of one of the supply points on the southern edge of the map? I always thought you had to have one supply line.

Alternatively, can you have two different supply lines placed on the same move starting at the same place but going to two different destinations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waldek Gumienny
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyMagic wrote:

Are there any restrictions on where you place trucks? Can I effectively plop 2 single trucks on totally separate arrows in the middle of territory I control? That is, not beside any other trucks and not beside a supply base. For example to move supplies from a Corp in one city to a Corp in an adjacent city.

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waldek Gumienny
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dakjck wrote:
I want to make sure I understand Nick's question and Barry's response. Are you saying that, if I can place four trucks, can I make two or more independent supply lines? For example, if Patton could place four trucks, could he place a two truck line out of his Army Supply base and another two truck supply line coming out of one of the supply points on the southern edge of the map? I always thought you had to have one supply line.

Alternatively, can you have two different supply lines placed on the same move starting at the same place but going to two different destinations?

Yes. Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. We have been playing it wrong. Whenever one of us transported supplies, we required it to be a single transport line, originating at one point and ending at another. You could pick up and drop off supplies (as long as there was never more than 5 supplies on one truck at a time). But we never allowed two separate, independent supply lines to be made up in one placement. This will change the game for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mb
I had similar questions last time we have played. The ruling we have settled was to build one supply line at a time starting from the supply centre and without branches.

That will change the play a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waldek Gumienny
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ethidium wrote:
I had similar questions last time we have played. The ruling we have settled was to build one supply line at a time starting from the supply centre and without branches.

That will change the play a lot.

Seems that we need to update rulebook to clearly state what is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ethidium wrote:
The ruling we have settled was to build one supply line at a time starting from the supply centre and without branches.

But there is no rule like this in the Rulebook. The actual rule is:
Rulebook, p.6 wrote:
A player can transport supplies between areas under his control which are connected by arrows of his own color

and sounds quite clear to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

dakjck wrote:
But we never allowed two separate, independent supply lines to be made up in one placement. This will change the game for us.

It might be worth discussing what this game abstracts and what it doesn't abstract. Let's talk about what it doesn't abstract, first...

Unlike most war-themed games, RttR focuses on logistics. Despite being the ultimate goal, the race component is secondary to, and enabled by logistical action... as is the case with real life. There are many facets to the logistics of war: manufacturing, planning, acquisition, supply & stock, distribution & transportation, maintenance, etc. IMHO, the RttR design team decided to primarily model the planning, and supply & stock facets while abstracting the rest.

Thusly, in the game it's important to acquire the correct supplies in order to execute the operation. This is how planning is modeled. During WWII, supplies were initially shipped to a main supply base then distributed from there. While the game abstracts the distribution facet, it doesn't abstract the requirement to have the correct supplies located at the correct stockage locations. This is the heart of the game.

As a logistics planner, I'm watching the advancement of each corps and am monitoring their stock levels, future requirements, and expected consumption rates. Thusly I need to decide where to put forward stocks and get them there. These are the facets the game does not abstract. But getting my supplies to the right stockage locations is abstracted. And thusly this may cause some confusion while approaching the game.

It's simple: Don't think of the trucks as actual trucks. The truck pieces, again IMHO, merely represent the lines of communication(LOC) which have been established by you while wearing the hat as the logistics planner and manager. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_communication). And contrary to the Wikipedia article, LOCs don't necessarily need to originate from a main supply base. Establishing a LOC between two operating areas is vital to maintaining operational movement as well, and hits the point of this post.

The game's limit on the number of trucks you can place abstracts the challenges any logistician faces in opening, and keeping open LOCs. As such, the 'Placing Trucks' mechanic is not a perfect abstraction. To make it perfect would mean a very dry and overly complex game. But its an abstraction, none the less, so shouldn't be considered literal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sterrett
United States
Kansas City [Platte City]
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding onto Barry's post --

When teaching the game, I tell people that the truck markers indicate that a given transport link is in use, at maximum capacity, and remains so until the supply interphase, which is one of the game's clocks. Otherwise, they get hung up on wanting to use the trucks to transport more supplies over the same route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.