Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
North Star Games was looking for volunteers to demo their latest release, Evolution, at GASP Con this past weekend. Since I was heading out there anyhow and the game did look really interesting I figured I might as well get involved.

North Start Games sent me a copy and it arrived at my home right before the CON started.

***Disclosure: North Star Games gave me a free copy of the game, on the condition I would demo it 6 times, and a cool Evolution T-shirt.

Here a picture of your handsome demo guy.

I am just going to give you a quick overview of the 7 demo games I played with the reactions from the various players.

I arrived at the CON on Friday around 11:30am and it was still pretty quiet. I was only able to find one victim. Brandon, my regular gaming partner, agreed to give it a try.

First game, 2 players (Brandon and Eddie)

I tried to go with Carnivore straight from the start, but wow, that is really tough especially with two players. Brandon had the Symbiosis trade chained on all his species and the only vulnerable species, the one on the far right, had climbing and hard shell. One tough nut to crack!

Brandon: "Cool game."

Needless to say Brandon crushed with me with a whopping 71 points.

In the meantime some more people had walked in and had heard a lot of good buzz about Evolution and were more than happy to join in on the fun.

Second game, 5 players (Roy, Lori, Patty, Brandon and Eddie)

Lori immediately went for Carnivore, but everybody seemed to have counted on that. On top of that she had a population size 2 and body size 1 Carnivore. Not a good move to have body size 1 Carnivore (unless you hunt in packs). We let her re-do her move and so she reduced her population and increased her body size to a size 2. However, there was too much defense for our Carnivore and she struggled the whole game.

Toward the end Roy changed one of his large Herbivores into a Carnivore and he had a lot of success. So much that he was almost able to sneak out the win.

At the end of the game Roy said to Lori: "We need to buy this game." Lori nods and agrees.

However, Brandon was victorious again and got 49 points.

Fortunately for me, I had no issues finding other players. Everybody was interested in this game. A lot of people stopped by as we were playing. Some folks already walked over to the little shop at the CON to see if there were any copies for sale (I don't think there were any, but I might be wrong).

Third game, 5 players (Chris, Pattie, Dave, Brandon and Eddie)

Again we noticed that the Carnivores were having a hard time getting points.

David at a certain point had 4 or 5 species and was able to keep them pretty much the entire game. Of course he won, with 56 points.

Pattie, Chris and David checking their smart phones to see if I really explained everything correctly.

I took a bit of a break and recognized an old gaming partner from a long time ago. "Hey Kevin, want to learn a new game?"

Fourth game, 5 players (Kevin, David, Pattie, Brandon and Eddie)

Don't know what we did wrong, but our first timer Kevin was able to pull out a victory with 41 points. Since he was the new guy we sort of left him alone. Big mistake.

Throughout the game I got comments like "beautiful game", "nice art" and "is this game still in print?"

Kevin's comment: "Great game, lots of fun."

By now it was 7pm and the CON was in full swing and we decided to get something to eat. We figured we would play one more game of Evolution and then do something else.

Fifth game, 6 players (Brian, Dennis, Matt, Evan, Brandon and Eddie)

This was an interesting game because Matt had played an earlier print and play version while Evan had played the Russian version.

Again Carnivores had very little success and Brandon won for the third time with 41 points. He really used Fat Tissue a lot and we discovered what a great card that is. It enables you to store food equal to your body size so when times get tough you can just dig into your fat.

Evan, who had played the Russian version, told me that he much more prefers this version over the old one since it is just far more streamlined.

I played some other games and went home around 10pm. First day of Evolution was, in my opinion, a big success.

When I came back on Saturday we decided to play..... Evolution!

Sixth game, 5 players (Tyler, Dan, Evan, Brandon and Eddie)

Dan tried to go for Carnivore, but had very little success. Tyler for the longest time had just one species, but did turn it into a body size and population size 6 midway through the game.

Haaaaa, finally! I was able to win. I guess it was just demo-pressure the whole time. My final score was 53.

I had learned my lessons and used Symbioses on Symbioses and racked up a lot of points.

My deal was now over. I had demo-ed Evolution 6 times. Time to relax.

I got up from the table, got myself a drink and walked back. As I am walking back there is a couple sitting there with their own copy of Evolution and they are reading the rules. I wanted to just walk on, but felt like I was a North Star Games representative by now. I said "have you ever played this game?". They both shook their heads and said "have you?". I nod and say "you want me to explain it to you?". "Yes, please."

Seventh game, four players (Michelle, Mike, Brandon and Eddie)

I looked at their copy and I am shocked! They have a plastic dino as first player marker (mine is wooden) and different species boards, but the biggest shock is yet to come...

I explained the game, which is quite easy and can be done in about 5 minutes, and we are playing and as we are revealing the food cards Michelle says "now I get a new species board right?" I am thinking to myself what is she talking about? Turns out she has a card in her copy I don't have!!! The card is called Unstable DNA. Fortunately, I think the card will be available in a future expansion.

Again, I am feeling even less demo pressure and win with 62 points. I did a mixed strategy of Herbivores and Carnivores. I had one large body size Carnivore who had the Climbing and Ambush traits. Very powerful.

Mike's comment at he end of the game: "Very, very cool." Michelle's response "I give this game a 9, I would give it a 10 if I could win."

All in all, it was a lot of fun doing this and I want to thank North Star Games for the opportunity. Demo-ing this game was easy because it is just a fun game to play. The rules are easy to explain, set-up is a breeze and a game generally takes about 45 to 60 minutes to play.

Highly recommended!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Nice! Thanks for doing that Eddie! Happy everyone enjoyed it. Lookin' sharp in that t-shirt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, the plastic dino, unstable species cards and species boards were all in the Kickstarter edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.