Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?» Forums » Rules

Subject: Regime Change - Tan vs. Green Side? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Elroy

New York
New York
msg tools
Apologies if this was properly explained elsewhere.

However, I can't understand from the rules what the useful purpose is of flipping the Regime Change marker from green to tan at the end of a turn where a successful Regime Change operation has been executed.

My understand is that the US player needs to execute a Withdrawal operation in order to move troops further *regardless* of whether the Regime Change marker is flipped Green or Tan. As long as a Regime Change has occurred thereby pinning the US troops in the target country, a Withdrawal is the only operation to redeploy those troops - or so I understand...

So, what is the reason that there are two sides to this marker and what is the significance of the current color of the Regime Change marker?

Pls clarify anyone. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dereck Sherrer
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, it has no impact in game. It has to do with end game scoring for certain scenarios (I think)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost, but not quite. It's not certain scenarios, but always. It's used to remind you that the resources in that country still belong to the Jihadists until the end of turn. This prevents the US from "stealing" the victory from the Jihadists just by doing a last minute regime change. See the "NOTE" on page 6.

Quote:
NOTE: Via 2.3, green Regime Change markers prevent an easy last-turn reversal of Islamist victory. If the current turn is unlikely to be the last (3.3) and you wish to avoid the step of flipping the marker (5.2.9), place it tan side up.

I think I've never used that green/tan marker, I've just always put it the tan side up, but then again, I've never been in the situation where that would've mattered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It keeps the US from winning at the last moment due to a Regime Change. For example... The US has 6 resources, and the Jihad has 3. So, the US will LOSE this game ending with a "TIE". The US needs MORE than twice the amount of resources. This prevents the US from playing their last card and performing a REGIME CHANGE which would take away the Jihad Resource.

Rulebook 2.3 says:

"...the US wins if more than twice as many Resources are under Good
Governance as are under Islamist Rule; otherwise, the Jihadists
win. For this game-end calculation only, count any Regime Change
placed this turn (green marker, 4.8.2) as Islamist Rule.
"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.