Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a list I am thinking of taking to a tournament this Saturday.
It is a modification of a list from the worlds that was called "Panic Attack". I call this "Dutch Panic Attack"

Dutch with ion cannon turret
Blue squadron Bwing
Blue squadron Bwing with E2 and Tactician

100 points even
Idea is ability to stress and ionise enemy ships
Dutch shooting at PS6 is a bit more palatable to me than having a Gold Squad and all shooting at PS 2.

Any thoughts on how I might fare?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Feedback on tournament list "Dutch Panic Attack"
Well, the advantages of the original "Panic Attack" over your squad is that moving everything at PS2 can be worth the drop in pilot skill during the combat phase (especially since PS6 probably isn't going to be a game changer) and every ship had the ability to cause stress (remember that Tactician only works at a specific range which might be difficult to achieve consistently, especially given your B-wings move early). Personally, if I were to try to improve upon this list, I'd try to squeeze in a second ion effect so you can double-ionize a large ship in a single turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I played the Panic Attack list at a tourney this past weekend and made it to the finals (we did a dice-off to decide it, but I think I had a really good chance to win regardless, based on what I was going to fly against).

Having three tacticians mattered because of the reason Jeff mentions: It can only be done at Range 2. So, the less tacticians in play, the lesser your chances of getting stress on your opponent.

Barrel Roll is your friend when trying to get to or remain at Range 2, but hard to know for certain given the low PS.

The lack of Advanced Sensors on the B-Wings really sucks. You'll see for yourself after you've made the first pass.

This list really shines when you are able to Ion a ship early and hopefully put at least two stress markers on it. Even better if you can send it into an asteroid. That ship is effectively out of it for the next two to three turns. So keeping that Y-Wing alive is critical (easier said than done because you have to be at range 1-2 for your Ion).

I thought about swapping out one Tactician for a Jan Ors crew member, but this list is extremely tanky already due to the 32 shield/hull points; if you are going to play a stress control game, might as well maximize it. It really causes a lot of havoc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK - thanks for the feedback Jeff & Gordon - I might try the standard "Panic Attack" list then - or keep thinking about what I might take...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie Bell
msg tools
Hey Gordon Berg,

Have you ever thought of using Roak + ion instead of the Y-wing in this list?

It would give you a better chance vs phantoms ( stressing and maybe ionizing them before they fire) I also like making a weak ship fire first before he gets blown to peices.

The only negative is that you need to fly your hawk carefully as its not as tanky as Y-wing.

I have been using 3 Blue + FCS + Roak + ICTurrent + chewie for some time and love it, but I like the idea of adding the stress.

let me know your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to prefer FCS only on ships that can get a second attack that turn, so either combined with Gunner, or use it with Corran, etc.

It really is a matter of what you're trying to accomplish with the list.

Panic Attack is more about ruining your opponents combo's, creating action denial, and forcing them where to fly instead of trying to maximize/worry about attack dice or when you're shooting. The damage will merely happen over time given the endurance of the list. Besides, B-Wings tend to fight up close more often than not, so you'll likely get in your fair share of range 1 shots (unless your opponent starts running away...B-Wings are slow).

Even if an enemy ship isn't Ionized, putting more than one stress on the same ship in a given turn probably does one of two things: 1) Gets it out of the fight for awhile or 2) Makes for a very predictable target for the next two turns and therefore much easier to kill. Still, easier said than done to be sure, as the lack of Advanced Sensors makes for a much tougher time of it. I didn't think the list would be that hard to fly, but I was wrong. In the one loss I had with it, I just couldn't get my ships where I wanted them.

I think the worst part is the initial pass, especially at Range 3. Your defense dice still stink, and chances are one of your B-Wings will take a real beating, but hopefully survived long enough to get in a Range 2 response shot and hence start the stressing. It's pretty gratifying to watch it all fall apart for the other side at this point.

About the only list I wouldn't want to fight this against would be a well flown Tie Swarm. This list also lost against a Fat Han at World's, but I still like its chances against tough Falcons. If against a Phantom, you have to fly very defensive, maximizing arcs until you can start forcing stress tokens on it by merely taking shots, regardless of whether or not you hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
Rik Biel wrote:
This is a list I am thinking of taking to a tournament this Saturday.
It is a modification of a list from the worlds that was called "Panic Attack". I call this "Dutch Panic Attack"

Dutch with ion cannon turret
Blue squadron Bwing

100 points even
Idea is ability to stress and ionise enemy ships
Dutch shooting at PS6 is a bit more palatable to me than having a Gold Squad and all shooting at PS 2.

Any thoughts on how I might fare?

This might be a very weird suggestion, but I say take off the ion turret on Dutch. Instead, install a chair and tactician on your last Bwing, and give Dutch that stress droid. Now all 4 ships can give out stress, which should / would allow you to really lock down and disable specific targets. Apart from Tycho and f*** Han, no other ship in the game currently is able to deal with having 3-4 stress on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point - but I do like the combo of being ionised and stressed - being forced to do a white 1 forward, not able to clear the stress.

Unfortunately with the high PS meta around here at the moment I am worried my PS2's might come in for a hammering- so I was thinking about this;

===========================
Roark Red X Double Blue B's

100 points

Pilots
------

Roark Garnet (24)
HWK-290 (19), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Blue Squadron Pilot (25)
B-Wing (22), B-Wing/E2 (1), Tactician (2)

Blue Squadron Pilot (25)

Red Squadron Pilot (26)
X-Wing (23), R2-D6 (1), Swarm Tactics (2)

Roark uses his ability to make the Red Xwing a PS12 - who in turn swarms one of the Bwings to PS12

That way I will probably have two ships shooting first with 3 attack die minimum - hopefully..... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
Rik Biel wrote:
I see your point - but I do like the combo of being ionised and stressed - being forced to do a white 1 forward, not able to clear the stress.

Unfortunately with the high PS meta around here at the moment I am worried my PS2's might come in for a hammering- so I was thinking about this;

Roark Red X Double Blue B's

100 points

Pilots
------

Roark Garnet (24)

Blue Squadron Pilot (25)

Blue Squadron Pilot (25)

Red Squadron Pilot (26)
X-Wing (23), R2-D6 (1), Swarm Tactics (2)

Roark uses his ability to make the Red Xwing a PS12 - who in turn swarms one of the Bwings to PS12

That way I will probably have two ships shooting first with 3 attack die minimum - hopefully..... ?

could work. I would take that red Xwing and turn it into Green Awing + Chardaan + PTL + test pilot + Swarm Tactics though. At the start of the game the Awing would still stick with the bunch for the swarm tactics thingy, but when the battle starts to get messy, the Awing PTL is able to run around and attack targets which are stressed/ionized and is a pretty good late game piece if your opponent forgot to deal with him early on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I tried this in 2 casual matches:

Misfits (100 points)
Roark + Ion Turret (24)
Hobbie + R3-A2 (27)
Dutch + Ion Turret (28)
Airen + Swarm Tactics (21)

This gives you 2 ion turrets (enough to mess with large ships), 1 stresser without a range restriction (but requires arc), and lots of action/target lock stacking and pilot skill passing to help make your only 3-dice attack have both TL + Focus, become a 1-way stresser, and shoot early enough to matter.

I went 1-1, losing on time partly because I messed up early (crashed Dutch into Roark so he couldn't pass a TL to my stressed Hobbie that turn, and Hobbie ended up double-stressed and facing the wrong way for a couple consecutive turns before I could finally K-turn him and get him back in the fight). I probably would have won if I had unlimited time... which is the risk of running a squad with so little firepower. If/when flown correctly, it is really crippling to whatever your opponent is trying to accomplish. The PS12 passing helps with Phantoms and really anything else that wants to shoot first, the stress and ions are crippling to PtL or Experimental Interface users, and it's pretty easy to ionize low-agility high-shield/hull targets and keep them going the wrong way while the rest of your force deals with other threats. I generally only had to worry about half my opponent's squad at any given time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff
That looks familiar - glad it worked OK and appreciate the feedback.
Yes - damage delivery and timing seems to go against it to be sure but you would have had a brain strain of a time remembering all your interlocking actions.

Fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:

Misfits (100 points)
Roark + Ion Turret (24)
Hobbie + R3-A2 (27)
Dutch + Ion Turret (28)

This gives you 2 ion turrets (enough to mess with large ships), 1 stresser without a range restriction (but requires arc), and lots of action/target lock stacking and pilot skill passing to help make your only 3-dice attack have both TL + Focus, become a 1-way stresser, and shoot early enough to matter.

I went 1-1, losing on time partly because I messed up early (crashed Dutch into Roark so he couldn't pass a TL to my stressed Hobbie that turn, and Hobbie ended up double-stressed and facing the wrong way for a couple consecutive turns before I could finally K-turn him and get him back in the fight). I probably would have won if I had unlimited time... which is the risk of running a squad with so little firepower. If/when flown correctly, it is really crippling to whatever your opponent is trying to accomplish. The PS12 passing helps with Phantoms and really anything else that wants to shoot first, the stress and ions are crippling to PtL or Experimental Interface users, and it's pretty easy to ionize low-agility high-shield/hull targets and keep them going the wrong way while the rest of your force deals with other threats. I generally only had to worry about half my opponent's squad at any given time.

I try the list after I saw it on the other thread. I was 0-2. The first game was against a B-wing swarm with advanced sensor. I made the mistake to joust, and got crash. Roark and swarm tactic was also wasted in here.

The second game was again a Shuttle, Soontir, and Whisper. Again, a bad flying lose me the game. I did get to stress out Soontir for several rounds, so that's fun to see a helpless Baron. My opponent was surprise by the Roark PS12 trick.

In both game, Hobbie went down very quick, followed by Airen. With only Dutch and Roark on the board, I surrendered in both game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep chopping and changing my mind but maybe this would be a good option - two HLC Bwings with ability to stress. Roark doing his PS12 thing and ionising!

======================
Roark's Double HLC B's
======================

100 points

Pilots
------

Roark Garnet (24)

Blue Squadron Pilot (32)
B-Wing (22), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), B-Wing/E2 (1), Tactician (2)

Blue Squadron Pilot (32)
B-Wing (22), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), B-Wing/E2 (1), Tactician (2)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or use the Bandit points to beef up the three main ships?

======================
Roark's Double Daggers
======================

100 points

Pilots
------

Roark Garnet (28)
HWK-290 (19), Ion Cannon Turret (5), Chewbacca (4)

Dagger Squadron Pilot (36)
B-Wing (24), Fire-Control System (2), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), B-Wing/E2 (1), Tactician (2)

Dagger Squadron Pilot (36)
B-Wing (24), Fire-Control System (2), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), B-Wing/E2 (1), Tactician (2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
daggers w roark seem a little awkward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - I think keeping the blue HLC s and using the Bandit as a blocker has potential

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eunoia wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

Misfits (100 points)
Roark + Ion Turret (24)
Hobbie + R3-A2 (27)
Dutch + Ion Turret (28)

I try the list after I saw it on the other thread. I was 0-2. The first game was against a B-wing swarm with advanced sensor. I made the mistake to joust, and got crash. Roark and swarm tactic was also wasted in here.

The second game was again a Shuttle, Soontir, and Whisper. Again, a bad flying lose me the game. I did get to stress out Soontir for several rounds, so that's fun to see a helpless Baron. My opponent was surprise by the Roark PS12 trick.

In both game, Hobbie went down very quick, followed by Airen. With only Dutch and Roark on the board, I surrendered in both game.

Tip #1: Never joust with a swarm - or even a squad that barely outguns you, for that matter.

My second opponent set up opposite me (he had Jake, Keyan and Corran) and I hard-turned on turn 1 and dragged him through the asteroids. It worked to my advantage (he collided with a couple, and I was able to draw first blood). B-wings are easy to ionize, so use your ion cannons and do whatever it takes to get behind them so you can keep a couple of them out of the game for as long as possible. Against Whisper, use Roark's ability + Ion Turrets to neutralize Whisper. Then you still have an uphill battle against Soontir, but at least you can double-ionize and stress the shuttle, assuming your squad is still intact at that point.

This squad isn't easy to play, but if played well, it has good match-ups against currently popular squads. Just keep in mind that it's about controlling your opponents, not overpowering them. If you want firepower in your control list, go with 2x Rebel Operative/Ion Cannon Turrets and 2x Blue B-wings/HLCs or similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
eunoia wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

Misfits (100 points)
Roark + Ion Turret (24)
Hobbie + R3-A2 (27)
Dutch + Ion Turret (28)

Tip #1: Never joust with a swarm - or even a squad that barely outguns you, for that matter.

My second opponent set up opposite me (he had Jake, Keyan and Corran) and I hard-turned on turn 1 and dragged him through the asteroids. It worked to my advantage (he collided with a couple, and I was able to draw first blood). B-wings are easy to ionize, so use your ion cannons and do whatever it takes to get behind them so you can keep a couple of them out of the game for as long as possible. Against Whisper, use Roark's ability + Ion Turrets to neutralize Whisper. Then you still have an uphill battle against Soontir, but at least you can double-ionize and stress the shuttle, assuming your squad is still intact at that point.

This squad isn't easy to play, but if played well, it has good match-ups against currently popular squads. Just keep in mind that it's about controlling your opponents, not overpowering them. If you want firepower in your control list, go with 2x Rebel Operative/Ion Cannon Turrets and 2x Blue B-wings/HLCs or similar.

Thanks, I realised my mistake as soon as I turn to face his squad. I agree this team could work, but I need to practice better flying.

I didn't Ion the Whisper, and he went on to take out my X-wing and Z-95 in two turn.

I will try this build more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well - I caved in the face of the local meta and decided to take the following

=======
High PS
=======

99 points

Wes Janson (33)
X-Wing (29), R5-D8 (3), Veteran Instincts (1)

Wedge Antilles (34)
X-Wing (29), R2-D2 (4), Veteran Instincts (1)

Ten Numb (32)
B-Wing (31), Veteran Instincts (1)

Out of 12 players - 3 of us had high PS XXB lists

3 rounds
- first round was vs Boba Fett and two RGP's
It came down to Ten with one hull left vs Boba with one hull left - I shot first - rolled balnks - he shot me I died - so close...

- second round was against almost a mirror list except he had no droids on the Xwings and had Adv Sensors and Han Solo crew on Ten Nunb.
He still ended up with Ten Nunb on the board with 3 shields still to me completely wiped out

- third round was against PS3 Phantom, Lorrir interceptor, Saber interceptor, Dark Curse and an Academy tie.
I wiped him out and after about 5 or 6 rounds I doubt think his phantom actually got a shot off.
I had stripped his shields while cloaked, then when he decloaked he flew over an asteroid - took a crit - couldn't recloak and I hammered him. I won without loosing a shield

The droids I had barely got any use.
R2D2 only once - Wedge tended to get targeted and would get hammered before he could move
The other droid I used once - rolled a blank - then used in the third game but really didn't need to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.