Subject: Suggestions of new games to try out with my girlfriend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fernando de Mesentier Silva
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I'm making my Christmas list of games I wanna give myself. I'll try out any kind of game, but I want a few "simpler" games that I can play in the gaming groups that my girlfriend is a part of.

Here are a few games that she loved:
Ticket to Ride: 10th Anniversary (Her favorite game)
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Lords of Waterdeep
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
Love Letter
Hanabi
7 Wonders
King of Tokyo
Pandemic
Splendor
Pictionary

Here are a few games that she disliked (a LOT):
Small World
Fairy Tale
Dungeon Petz (Thought it was too many things to keep track of)
The Resistance (She dislikes the traitor mechanic in every game)
Tsuro of the Seas (She doesn't like player elimination)
Ghost Stories (She does not enjoy games that are hard to win)
Cyclades (She doesn't enjoy attacking/being attacked by other players)

She usually gets excited with the theme of a game, so anything that resembles Harry Potter(her favorite series by far), Lord of the Rings, Animals(in general), Fairy Tales or movies in general should be a great start. She also loves rolling dice.

OBS: I can't understand why she doesn't like Fairy Tale and loves 7 Wonders.

By doing some research, here are some games I picked that I think she should enjoy:
Age of War
Beyond Balderdash
Gemblo
King of New York
Lords of Xidit
Machi Koro
Mad City
Mice and Mystics
Pandemic: The Cure
Qwirkle
Steam Park
Thebes: The Tomb Raiders
Tobago (Sadly out of print)
Tokaido
Vikings
Völuspá
Zooloretto

I also want to try Argent: The Consortium and Alchemists, as they are games that I think she'll love the theme, but might be a little complex for her taste.

So, do you guys have any suggestions of games for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played some of the ones you have listed, but out of the ones I have here are my thoughts for some of them:

King of New York is neat and she may like it, but then again it adds a few more things that may "ruin" the simplicity of King of Tokyo.

Lords of Xidit is pretty easy to teach and to learn and so far I had great success with gamers and non-gamers. However it doesn't play 2 players (not sure if that would be an issue)

Machi Koro seems to go along well with the games she likes.
Pandemic: The Cure Very similar to Pandemic and very fun. Good choice there as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the games you mention have expansions that could add new life to the games.

If she likes Pictionary, and you want something simple but fun for a crowd, I suggest Telestrations. No one is concerned with scoring, only the laughable results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend plays a lot of games too and among those you're considering she really enjoys:

Age of War
Machi Koro
Steam Park
Vikings
Blue Print
The Builders: The Middle Ages
Qin

I'd add to your list:

Stone Age
Yedo (Lords of Waterdeep but better)

Have you tried cooperative theme/story games?
Fortune & Glory
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Eldritch Horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth NicAonghais
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she loves Lord of the Rings, why not try:

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

1-2 player co-op. Much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age

2-4 players (competitive)
Easy rules
Great components (especially the board is gorgeous)
Expansion available (new rules and components, +1 player)
Worker placement, dice rolling

E If she likes Lords of Waterdeep and dice rolling, this might be the perfect mix for her.
If she is okay with a bit more weight, I strongly recommend Yedo, which is pretty much a heavier version of Lords of Waterdeep with a thicker theme.

Elder Sign

1-4 players (cooperative)
Easy rules
Good replay value (many characters, items, monsters, adventures ect.)
Great, theme-oozing components
Expansions available
Dice rolling, dice manipulation

E If theme is important to her (and I can't blame her for that) and she likes dice, this game might be interesting to her. The box says "1-8" players, but you definitely don't want to go beyond 4 players because of downtimes.

E This game is featured on TableTop (YouTube).

Sushi Go!

2-5 players (competitive)
Very easy rules
Cute components
Card drafting, set collecting

E If she likes the drafting mechanism of 7 Wonders, this game could be a nice simpler little filler game addition.

San Juan

Easy rules
Easy to learn, hard to master
Engine-building, hand management, role selection

E As Splendor as an engine-building type of game is one of her favourites, San Juan could be a great new game - if she is okay with a bit more weight. San Juan is easy to learn but "hard" to master, as it offers room for many strategies.

King of New York

2-6 players (competitive)

E I have yet not played King of Toyko nor King of New York, but this is an obvious recommendation for doing research on.
If she likes the big monster Kaiju genre and dexterity games, take a look at Terror in Meeple City, which is a silly but funny party game.

Freedom: The Underground Railroad

E Also, still not played by myself yet, but I figure if she likes Pandemic and strong themes, this could be really interesting to her. I have heard that this game is pretty difficult though - maybe some others could provide further information on that, because she had problems with Ghost Stories's difficulty level (like myself).

Does she like storytelling games ?

Good luck !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Tobago

Other simpler and thematic games

Isla Dorada

Finca

Fresco

Africana

Escape: The Curse of the Temple

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Asselman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Outside scope of BGG: This is my favorite cinema!
badge
Outside scope of BGG: This is my favorite cinema!
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko, because of the animal theme and the really nice components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
The owls are not what they seem.
badge
I've got good news. That gum you like is going to come back in style.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really great suggestions!

+1 Takenoko

Throwing Quilt Show into the mix because it reminds me of TtR but has a more intense card drafting phase and instead of connecting cities on a board with trains, you secretly try to craft the best quilt behind a sewing machine player screen. Competitive with no "take-that" and a unique theme.

+1 San Juan if you can find a copy for less than $50!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando de Mesentier Silva
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Deltas wrote:
I haven't played some of the ones you have listed, but out of the ones I have here are my thoughts for some of them:

King of New York is neat and she may like it, but then again it adds a few more things that may "ruin" the simplicity of King of Tokyo.

Lords of Xidit is pretty easy to teach and to learn and so far I had great success with gamers and non-gamers. However it doesn't play 2 players (not sure if that would be an issue)

Machi Koro seems to go along well with the games she likes.
Pandemic: The Cure Very similar to Pandemic and very fun. Good choice there as well.

I haven't played any of them yet, but my feeling watching videos for those games were very similar to how you described them. Glad to know that I'm on the right track.

spacerx wrote:
Some of the games you mention have expansions that could add new life to the games.

If she likes Pictionary, and you want something simple but fun for a crowd, I suggest Telestrations. No one is concerned with scoring, only the laughable results.

I haven't had a chance to play Telestrations, I've been wanting to give it a try for a while.

SirRoke wrote:
My girlfriend plays a lot of games too and among those you're considering she really enjoys:

Age of War
Machi Koro
Steam Park
Vikings
Blue Print
The Builders: The Middle Ages
Qin

I'd add to your list:

Stone Age
Yedo (Lords of Waterdeep but better)

Have you tried cooperative theme/story games?
Fortune & Glory
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Eldritch Horror

I haven't heard of Yedo so far, I'll take a good look at it, as the feudal Japan theme does attract me a lot. Stone Age is another game I did not get chance to play yet.

As for story games, I did not try Fortune & Glory or Tales of the Arabian Nights, but I did play Eldrich Horror a couple times, and although I think the mechanics are simple (which is usually good), the games tends to go over the 2h~3h mark, which doesn't usually goes well with her.

weebirdie wrote:
If she loves Lord of the Rings, why not try:

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

1-2 player co-op. Much fun.

I played the LotR LCG and found it lots of fun, but 99% of the time we have (at least) 4-players, so I tend to go for 4+ players game (sorry if I forgot to point that out in my previous post).

Kyur wrote:
Stone Age

Easy rules
Great components (especially the board is gorgeous)
Expansion available (new rules and components, +1 player)
Worker placement, dice rolling

E If she likes Lords of Waterdeep and dice rolling, this might be the perfect mix for her.
If she is okay with a bit more weight, I strongly recommend Yedo, which is pretty much a heavier version of Lords of Waterdeep with a thicker theme.

Elder Sign

Easy rules
Good replay value (many characters, items, monsters, adventures ect.)
Great, theme-oozing components
Expansions available
Dice rolling, dice manipulation

E If theme is important to her (and I can't blame her for that) and she likes dice, this game might be interesting to her. The box says "1-8" players, but you definitely don't want to go beyond 4 players because of downtimes.

E This game is featured on TableTop (YouTube).

Sushi Go!

2-5 players (competitive)
Very easy rules
Cute components
Card drafting, set collecting

E If she likes the drafting mechanism of 7 Wonders, this game could be a nice simpler little filler game addition.

San Juan

Easy rules
Easy to learn, hard to master
Engine-building, hand management, role selection

E As Splendor as an engine-building type of game is one of her favourites, San Juan could be a great new game - if she is okay with a bit more weight. San Juan is easy to learn but "hard" to master, as it offers room for many strategies.

King of New York

2-6 players (competitive)

E I have yet not played King of Toyko nor King of New York, but this is an obvious recommendation for doing research on.
If she likes the big monster Kaiju genre and dexterity games, take a look at Terror in Meeple City, which is a silly but funny party game.

Freedom: The Underground Railroad

E Also, still not played by myself yet, but I figure if she likes Pandemic and strong themes, this could be really interesting to her. I have heard that this game is pretty difficult though - maybe some others could provide further information on that, because she had problems with Ghost Stories's difficulty level (like myself).

Does she like storytelling games ?

Good luck !

Stone Age, I have yet to try out.

Elder Sign I played, liked the mechanic of rolling to fill the "quest" requirements, but thought the game dragged on after a while, if it was shorter I would have enjoyed more. It was one of the reasons I turned my attention to Age of War.

I friend of mine just got Sushi Go, I'll try scheduling a game night to try it out.

San Juan I played about 5 years ago (before I started dating her) and was not very fond of it, maybe I should give it another shot.

King of New York should go very well. We did play Rampage/Terror in Meeple Town, and it was lots of fun (say Kaiju game and I'm in). One of our friends with whom we play most times has it, so I'll leave it for later.

I was not very attracted to Freedom at first, but it got so much praise that left me wanting to try it out.

The only storytelling game we've played was Dixit, and it did go very well. I personally prefer to play Dixit only every once in a while (probably a consequence of having played it a LOT on the same month).

Bondgoldfinger wrote:
+1 Tobago

Other simpler and thematic games

Isla Dorada

Finca

Fresco

Africana

Escape: The Curse of the Temple

Good luck!

Yeah, Tobago is definitely on the top of my list, but seems to be hard to find.
Out of the other games you said, I only played Escape, and it was lots of fun. I'll take a look on the other ones.

seraphael wrote:
Takenoko, because of the animal theme and the really nice components.

I'm eager to try Takenoko, a friend of mine has it, but we are yet to play it.

eaglerock79 wrote:
Really great suggestions!

+1 Takenoko

Throwing Quilt Show into the mix because it reminds me of TtR but has a more intense card drafting phase and instead of connecting cities on a board with trains, you secretly try to craft the best quilt behind a sewing machine player screen. Competitive with no "take-that" and a unique theme.

+1 San Juan if you can find a copy for less than $50!

Never heard of Quilt Show, but after your description I will definitely look deeper into it.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions, and please keep 'em coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanAtta
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camel Up
Hey, That's My Fish!
Jamaica
VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eumyself wrote:
San Juan I played about 5 years ago (before I started dating her) and was not very fond of it, maybe I should give it another shot.

Race for the Galaxy is an alternative to San Juan. I've never played San Juan, but many think Race has more depth and some people think it's easier to learn (it depends on whether you prefer reading lots of text on cards or looking a symbols on cards and reading some text - I prefer symbols). Race is the game I've played most, but it's not that simple.

Hey, That's My Fish! - fairly sure this has player elimination unless you play 2-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Burgundy
Seasons
maybe Carcassonne?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanAtta
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:

Hey, That's My Fish! - fairly sure this has player elimination unless you play 2-player.

Hey, That's My Fish! does have player elimination but since each player controls multiple pieces on the board, the number depending on the number of players, it is less so than King of Tokyo which the OP said his girlfriend liked. It also plays very quickly so that eliminated players do not have to wait long until the game is finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ready for this...

Battle Line

Yeah, don't let the "Battle" in the name turn you off, it is about formations of cards, not battle. It is only two players, but it is relatively cheap and portable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alana Davis
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloom might work for you. Its mechanics are very straightforward, it plays fairly quickly, and it has a fun Victorian theme. To win, you want your family members to die while as miserable and benighted as possible. You don't attack other players but instead cause happy events to befall their characters.

Though it isn't a cooperative game, your girlfriend may not mind "attacking" since you do so by sending your opponents on a pretty picnic or making them fall in love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Seymour
United States
Jenkintown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to second Joe suggestion - I was pleasantly surprised with Quilt Show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my doubts over "Lords of Xidit". I've played half a game and found it very frustrating how easy it is to have your entire turn wasted because someone snatched that essential resource away and now you're just following the rest of your programming without being able to do anything. And since there are only 9 turn that's quite a lot of waste (proportionally).

Machi Koro does have attack-cards that steal money. So that might reduce her enjoyment.

Pandemic The Cure, Tokaido and Qwirkle I think she'd like.

Someone suggested San Juan. I concur. A great little game. Same goes for Fleet. Both are pretty similar in that you build a tableau with cards that allow you to better benefit from recurring actions. The difference is that in San Juan you compete to over actions and don't get to do everything each turn where in Fleet you compete by auctioning improvements that then define how well you get to do the various actions. I'd say that Fleet is probably even easier to learn but even a smidgeon harder to master than San Juan.

zabdiel wrote:
Race for the Galaxy is an alternative to San Juan. I've never played San Juan, but many think Race has more depth and some people think it's easier to learn
. Easy to learn and RftG don't even belong into the same post.

You mentioned Harry Potter is her favorite? Then I strongly recommend Potion-Making: Practice. A beautiful, easy game that should be right up her Diagon Alley.

Bohnanza is another great and simple card game. It's a trading game with a lot of interaction. You're always dealing and negotiating with other players. Strongly recommended but requires more than 2 players.

Kingdom Builder might also be something for her. Pretty simple and relaxed gameplay.

Someone recommended Seasons. I'd say it's definitely preferrable to Lords of Xidit. It is a gorgeous game and while there are some "attack"-cards I've never felt like they hurt much. They are more like "inconvenience"-cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.