Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcin Szachniewicz
United Kingdom
Evesham
-- Please Select --
flag msg tools
Hi everybody

The reason behind my post today is simple. We are looking for ideas for accessories that can be attached to the Rail System of our new gaming table called Denis.

Few words of introduction. We are young gaming tables manufacturer based in the UK and we are called Geeknson. A couple moths ago we built our first prototype called Denis and now it's in production phase and it will looks more like on youtube video: http://youtu.be/z2rnd8M7BwY

We already have designed a couple of accessories such as:

- Cup and Wine Glass Holder

- Bin and Counter Holder

- Card/Counter Holder

- Desk with Shelf and Counters

For last two please look at the video on youtube: http://youtu.be/8zpnhqiwEjI

The Denis is the simple game table in its construction fitting to modern look living rooms but by attaching any accessories it's functionality change's dramatically.

I would like to ask you guys for any ideas you may have according what more we can attach to our table. Maybe there are some ideas you wanted to try but you didn't know how to design them. Or you have designed some cool stuff but you feel like you're stuck with them. Please share with us your ideas and we will see what we can do to make them happen.

This community has been great so far and I think we can create something beautiful together.

Thank you all for your attention and for sharing your ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a generic pull out table (like the old card catalogues have) would be more useful to most of us than the specific one-use ones. Perhaps it could be reversible, flat on one side and a tray on the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old man shakes cane at cloud!
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a fine-looking gaming table. I like the desk shelf the most.

From an engineering perspective, I think you'll need a rabbet in the upper side of the accessories slot so that accessories can "lock in" similar to a shelving bracket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Table looks good so far and it looks like you have the typical attachments anyone could ask for accounted for. I could think of a few things but really not sure if it's practical.

-Bowl Holder: Something to hold snacks to go with those nice cup holders. Imagine a larger cup holder with a removable metal/plastic bowl that sits in the middle of it.

-Paper Towel Holder: To hold paper towels to clean off messy fingers.

-Laptop/Tablet/Smart Phone Stand: Not sure if you're existing stand would be big enough to fit a laptop, I'm sure it would do for the rest. It would be really neat if their was a way to get power to a USB charger or something. Would be great for those newer games that make more use of Apps. Alchemists and XCOM come to mind.

-Arm Rest: It could sit on the lip of the table (on top) and lock into the sides.

-Player Shield: Cover up cards/tokens from the sides/top. The card holders and desk could be modified perhaps.

-Draw bag: While this wouldn't work for games where you end up passing around a draw bag. It would be great for something like Arkham where you end up with one player drawing random monsters.

-Calculator/Score Board: self explanatory.

I'll update if I can think of anything else highly uncesscary cool
Looks great, keep up the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Szachniewicz
United Kingdom
Evesham
-- Please Select --
flag msg tools
Sam Houston wrote:
a generic pull out table (like the old card catalogues have) would be more useful to most of us than the specific one-use ones. Perhaps it could be reversible, flat on one side and a tray on the other?

Thanks Sam. We already came up with this idea. This is a subject to consider during designing our next model which will be similar with functionality to GeekChic Emissary with pull out drawers and desks.
The one above is simple and it was designed to give chance to be affordable to those who have less money. That's why complete base table with Vault System (wooden floor, acrylic sheet, and fabric inset), Rail System and table top Leaves starts from £900.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Szachniewicz
United Kingdom
Evesham
-- Please Select --
flag msg tools
SailinDude wrote:
That is a fine-looking gaming table. I like the desk shelf the most.

From an engineering perspective, I think you'll need a rabbet in the upper side of the accessories slot so that accessories can "lock in" similar to a shelving bracket.

Mike, this my favourite piece as well

Answering to your suggestion regarding rabbet. I think pictures bellow will do it the best.

We are testing which of locking system would be the best: magnetic – far left or traditional. We are still in testing phase
Thanks for sharing this useful tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Szachniewicz
United Kingdom
Evesham
-- Please Select --
flag msg tools
Miattei wrote:
Table looks good so far and it looks like you have the typical attachments anyone could ask for accounted for. I could think of a few things but really not sure if it's practical.

-Bowl Holder: Something to hold snacks to go with those nice cup holders. Imagine a larger cup holder with a removable metal/plastic bowl that sits in the middle of it.

-Paper Towel Holder: To hold paper towels to clean off messy fingers.

-Laptop/Tablet/Smart Phone Stand: Not sure if you're existing stand would be big enough to fit a laptop, I'm sure it would do for the rest. It would be really neat if their was a way to get power to a USB charger or something. Would be great for those newer games that make more use of Apps. Alchemists and XCOM come to mind.

-Arm Rest: It could sit on the lip of the table (on top) and lock into the sides.

-Player Shield: Cover up cards/tokens from the sides/top. The card holders and desk could be modified perhaps.

-Draw bag: While this wouldn't work for games where you end up passing around a draw bag. It would be great for something like Arkham where you end up with one player drawing random monsters.

-Calculator/Score Board: self explanatory.

I'll update if I can think of anything else highly uncesscary cool
Looks great, keep up the great work!

Good ones Matt

I like the one with Laptop, Tablet, Smartphone Stand - it can be easily done with desk/shelf. Please keep me updated with your ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old man shakes cane at cloud!
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that design for the accessories edge looks good. I wasn't sure there was a rabbet-like edge on the table to hook in to. Looks like you'll be using a roundover bit and then a straight bit or dado for the top groove.

Great design! Wish I was in the UK, I'd love to tour your shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Szachniewicz
United Kingdom
Evesham
-- Please Select --
flag msg tools
SailinDude wrote:
Yep, that design for the accessories edge looks good. I wasn't sure there was a rabbet-like edge on the table to hook in to. Looks like you'll be using a roundover bit and then a straight bit or dado for the top groove.

Great design! Wish I was in the UK, I'd love to tour your shop.

Thanks

We are planing to prepare review which will show in depth all the details of our table. I will keep you updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just solved the problem I was having with how to put in several smaller leaves in the table I'm designing. I see those small cross braces that support the table top leaves, I am assuming they are removable. Thanks for sharing the photos. I doubt my homemade version will have all the snazzy add-ons but at least I can make my wife happy and use the multiple leaves instead of just one large piece as the removable top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seriously consider basic multi-purpose type add-ons such as a small hook or clap. I had a workbench turn game table that had nice small hooks that were parallel to the side (SOOO VERY KEY, so they don't stick out and jab people) they got used for hats, girl's hair bands, rubber bands (the ones holding cards and other pieces together in a game), even to hold a power cord (the mysterious day everyone's phone died).
Pen/marker claps I think would also do well, as I had a similar setup but I used velcro and was not very elegant.

Also a bottle opener would do very well here in Wisconsin.

I also think it's worth time to try to have a small side table clamp for the situations you and others have suggested that would come off at an angle so as to follow the point of the corner and stretch out of the way. I don't want to hold my carcassonne tile over my glass of wine. I know it may be awkward for someone to sit in line like that but its possible so it will happen.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing you have great success with this idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OH!
You may not like this vision for your table but to have a all around table extension might be worth thinking about. Four large pieces that would add a few more inches to length and width of the table on the same plane as the top of the original table.
It's exactly what my friend's fancy but small table needed when we played firefly, once central area for the board and an outer ring for our ship boards and our ever growing area of crew cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a magnetic strip or corkboard strip?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Szachniewicz
United Kingdom
Evesham
-- Please Select --
flag msg tools
swmalone wrote:
You just solved the problem I was having with how to put in several smaller leaves in the table I'm designing. I see those small cross braces that support the table top leaves, I am assuming they are removable. Thanks for sharing the photos. I doubt my homemade version will have all the snazzy add-ons but at least I can make my wife happy and use the multiple leaves instead of just one large piece as the removable top.

You are welcome.

Happy to help.
Have you looked at the video on our youtube channel there is more ideas.

http://youtu.be/z2rnd8M7BwY

All the best with your table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Szachniewicz
United Kingdom
Evesham
-- Please Select --
flag msg tools
mafman6 wrote:
OH!
You may not like this vision for your table but to have a all around table extension might be worth thinking about. Four large pieces that would add a few more inches to length and width of the table on the same plane as the top of the original table.
It's exactly what my friend's fancy but small table needed when we played firefly, once central area for the board and an outer ring for our ship boards and our ever growing area of crew cards.

Wow. Actually I'm working on something similar now.
I will post some ideas later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Szachniewicz
United Kingdom
Evesham
-- Please Select --
flag msg tools
mafman6 wrote:
seriously consider basic multi-purpose type add-ons such as a small hook or clap. I had a workbench turn game table that had nice small hooks that were parallel to the side (SOOO VERY KEY, so they don't stick out and jab people) they got used for hats, girl's hair bands, rubber bands (the ones holding cards and other pieces together in a game), even to hold a power cord (the mysterious day everyone's phone died).
Pen/marker claps I think would also do well, as I had a similar setup but I used velcro and was not very elegant.

Also a bottle opener would do very well here in Wisconsin.

I also think it's worth time to try to have a small side table clamp for the situations you and others have suggested that would come off at an angle so as to follow the point of the corner and stretch out of the way. I don't want to hold my carcassonne tile over my glass of wine. I know it may be awkward for someone to sit in line like that but its possible so it will happen.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing you have great success with this idea!

Can you post some photos of your workbench/game table please if you have any? It sounds interesting.
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I wouldn't be able to find a good enough picture of that, it died three moves ago. But this concept picture should show you a good idea of what I had.
The left was just your average brass colored hook you'd pick up at store, about an inch diameter. On the right I had these plastic clips I formed on the table that worked even better if you open a video game or dvd case the two clips holding in the inside manual or adds is where I took the idea.
The things I had were cheap and I'm sure you can get a better design in form and function but I was cheap and though I plan on making a crazy game table myself it wont happen for at least two years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.