Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of surprised that I didn't find any similar questions in my searches. These games both seem to compete somewhat in the limited card-drafting market. Both are highly regarded. Both are best with 4 but accommodate multiple play numbers (though Greed gets a slight nod for going up to 5). Both are similarly priced. Both are highly regarded and well reviewed.

The obvious differences are that Among the Stars has much more of a tile-laying, spacial-element. AtS also takes twice as long at about an hour. I think that could be considered as a pro or a con depending on how you look at it. I like a meatier game but I suspect that Greed is quicker just by virtue of not having the tile-laying element. Theme is also debatable. Science Fiction is always great for those who are interested in the genre, but it carries the stigma that turns off certain people.

So sort of boils it down to just which is a more enjoyable game with more replay value and more interesting decisions to make? I can't really justify paying for multiple drafting games at the moment.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the Stars goes up to six players with the Expanding the Alliance expansion. Or this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/988171/5-player-game offers some ideas for squeezing five players into the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you nailed the differences, I've been playing more Greed lately because it is quick to setup, play, and put away. There is definitely more interaction in Greed, but they both have nice decisions based on timing of playing draft selections. I think the one thing that tips the scales for me is that Greed lets you have a hand of cards to choose from instead of having to play your draft selection immediately, this lets you control that timing better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, still a tough decision! I'm leaning pretty heavily towards Greed at the moment because I think it will get more play out of the box. I most often have 5 players at game nights, and the quick setup and play of Greed would allow it to also be a great lunch game.

I've been very interested in Among the Stars ever since I first saw it, but haven't been able to try it out yet. It's good to know that expansions up the player count, but don't want to have to go in for an expansion blind.

Still would like to hear any more feedback before I pull the trigger on Greed, thanks for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reynolds
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have not played Greed but I am really enjoying Among the Stars. It is easy to learn and teach even with non gamers. The game playes quickly after a play or two and the set up is not bad with the base game. The Ambassador expansion will add some set up time but does not add much gameplay time, so you can get a couple of plays in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.