Subject: I need game plans for a two Firespray squadron. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Kitchin
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need some insight on how to fly a squadron of two Firesprays. For now I am not adding any other ships. I am getting a good handle on flying them, but I am new to the X-Wing meta (reformed Attack Wing player) so I don't really know what the right game plan for them is in various situations.

I don't have much formation flying experience, for example, so I'm not sure if fighting among the asteroids harms me more because of the awkwardness of moving big bases among them, or harms enemy swarms more from making it harder for them to maintain formation.

How would you deploy asteroids and ships with this squadron in various matchups, and what would your initial maneuver and engagement goals be? (attempt to joust if they cooperate? deploy on the opposite side? etc.) Most importantly, why would you use your recommended game plan.

Versus a swarm?

Versus Rebel Xs and Bs?

Versus other achetypes?

My own approach so far is to be as aggressive as possible against everything. I've done this to see what I learn from it, but the results have varied wildly, and I don't really understand why.

I don't mean for this to be a squadron building exercise because I feel pretty comfortable about that within the limits I've set for myself, but in case it influences your suggestions, I tend to fly Boba and Kath with Recon Spec or Gunner, Engine Upgrade, VI or PtL, and seismic charges to fill in the remainder. I will eventually try Krassis with Ion Cannon in place of Boba, but I like having Talents available, and I intend to fly Scum Boba when he's available, so I'm willing to live with a mediocre ability now to learn how to use his PS8 later.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've been thinking about trying out a couple firespray squadron as well.

i would load them with bombs and possibly HLC and fly them in reverse, ie to get the enemy to chase me, it would force them into the bombs danger zone quite more often if they try to close too fast, if not k-turn and use hlc
also, i should be able to control the firing distance a bit more easy as to only fight vs his lead ship(s).
also, by avoiding the joust situation you can keep formation more easily.
possibly with engine upgrade should give more speed options and if possible wingman to shed the stress from the k-turn, thus possibly k-turn again next turn.

if keeping the formation is important for your strategy, you shouldnt try too much to avoid asteroids, with this i mean to avoid turning and banking which will put you in directions you dont want to go, its mostly important to avoid landing on the asteroids.
though dont go looking for them either.
spacing the asteroids during placement should avoid having tight spots.
you can also fly the formation with some space between the 2 ships, so you could move by passing asteroids between the ships

with only 2 ships you need to limit how much of the opponents ships can attack you, hence the reverse flying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The big thing with fire sprays I've found is that you want to learn to use that rear arc. If his swarm is coming at you, try to time it so you overshoot the swarm and they are shooting at nothing, while you plink away with the rear arc. That's the good part of imperial Boba, he has some built in arc dodge. This makes krassis play quite a bit differently than the other firesprays, since his cannon secondaries only work in front arc.

Keep your asteroids fairly spread, to keep decent maneuver lanes for yourself. The firespray has the same, or very similar dial to the xwing, so it's very menuverable for a large ship. Be wary of the joust with swarms. You've got good defense, but it won't shrug off tons of attack dice like a phantom will.

I love the recon spec on firesprays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Murphy
United States
New York
flag msg tools
You might wanna try a two named Firespray list. Something like...

Boba Fett
HLC
Predator

Kath Scarlett
HLC
Predator
Rebel Captive

Or you can swap for Krassis in for Kath and some points saving and take Engine Upgrade by dropping Predator from him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.