Popular Tags: [View All]
Carey Grayson
United States
Seaside
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't easy to get everything perfect in the rules despite multiple players/proofreaders. In this thread we will add commonly asked questions posted here as well as elsewhere. Many thanks to everyone who asked these questions and offered feedback.

INFECTING:
Q: I’m out of disease cubes and can’t infect a city. Why aren’t there more disease cubes?
A: Real virus/disease have limits such as transmission vectors and immune systems. To represent this simply, a limit was put on the number of disease cubes. Next time you are getting low on disease cubes, try to trigger a city eradication.

Q: My infection rate allows me to play more disease cubes in a city than the population number. May I play all of my disease cubes despite this?
A: No. There is no one left to infect, so you may only play up to the population # and no more.

2-PLAYER:
Q: Do event/who cards impact the robot/dummy player? (i.e. remove cubes?)
A: No, they do not. Event/who (and City) cards only impact players.

Q: Which is first, playing the robot/dummy player OR revealing the next event card?
A: Playing the robot/dummy player.

RESISTANCE:
Q: I have 1 disease cube and my resistance is at level 1. A WHO card states I must remove 4 disease cubes. By moving my resistance down 1 level, do I: A) save 1 cube? Or: B) reduce 4 to 3 which means I still lose 1 cube?
A: For each level of resistance, you may protect up to that many elements. So at level 1, you may protect 1 cube. Likewise, if you had 4 disease cubes, you would lose 3 but save 1.

WHO CARDS:
Q: ‘Cure is Found’ WHO card says: “Remove 4 disease cubes from any cities you are currently infecting.” What does this mean exactly?
A: That you must remove all 4 cubes (yours) if possible and that these can come from multiple cities.

CITY CARDS:
Q: “Play when you want.” Does this mean I can play during another player’s turn?
A: No. Only on your turn.

Q: Some city cards have special actions that modify an action: “Use 1 less card to advance a mutation.” Does that mean the mutation action is free as well as costing 1 less card?
A: No. It only allows you to modify your mutate action.

Q: An event card says I must play an extra disease cube to infect a new city, but a city card’s special action says to place 1 disease cube in any city. Which one do I follow?
A: Where the City card's special action differs from the Event card (or rules), always go by what the City card says.

CITY ERADICATION:
Q: When a city is eradicated, what becomes of the player disease cubes?
A: The city is first scored (for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place) then the disease cubes are returned to each player. After that, the city's special action is taken by the player who triggered the event.

Q: Once a city card is wiped out and it’s special action is taken (immediately or later) what is done with the card?
A: The city card is flipped face down on the table to show it has been eradicated.

CONTAGION CARDS:
Q: What happens after the Contagion deck runs out
A: Reshuffle discard pile to create a new draw deck.

EVENT CARDS:
Q: An Event card states I must remove 1 disease cube from a city I currently infect. Is that my own disease cube or can I remove someone else's disease cube?
A: It is referring to YOUR disease cube.

Q: The Paris card says to return an inactive event card to the top of the event deck. Is it returned face up or face down? And what if there is a Skull & Crossbones on that card, does it get counted again towards Death Toll scoring?
A:The inactive card is placed face down on top of the event deck and the Skull & Crossbones continues the count and can trigger another Death Toll scoring.

ACTIONS:
Q: On the player board it says: "PASS: When unable to do any actions, draw 1 card, and end your turn." Does this mean that players should always draw 1 card after taking their 2 actions?
A: No. This only applies if you're in the unlikely situation where you do not have any contagion cards and your incubation level is at zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
badge
What a productive day!
mbmbmbmbmb
cjgrayso wrote:
RESISTANCE:
Q: I have 1 disease cube and my resistance is at level 1. A who card states I must remove 4 disease cubes. By moving my resistance down 1 level, do I: A) save 1 cube? Or: B) reduce 4 to 3 which means I still lose 1 cube?
A: For each level of resistance, you may protect up to that many elements. So at level 1, you may protect 1 cube. Likewise, if you had 4 disease cubes, you would lose 3 but save 1.

Sorry but I still don't quite understand this one, I don't think you actually answered the question.

I have three cubes in total across all available cities. That WHO card comes up, telling me to remove four cubes. I have level one resistance, which I sacrifice to protect one "element".

So is it:

d10-1 "Remove four cubes" becomes "Remove three cubes". So using my example, I remove my three cubes, leaving me with no cubes in any cities (in which case using my resistance was a waste).

or

d10-2 I "protect" one of my three existing cubes, so that it cannot be removed, and must then remove three cubes if possible. Back to my example, I protect one of my cubes, and then remove the other two.

The second options seems to have a double effect because not only is it "protecting an element" it is also reducing the effect of a card. The rulebook doesn't say anything about resistance also reducing the effect of a WHO card, so couldn't an equally valid example be:

I have 5 cubes on the board. The "Remove four cubes" WHO card comes up. I sacrifice my level two resistance to protect two cubes. Do I then only remove two (again, reducing the effect of the WHO card as well as protecting cubes) or still remove up to 4 cubes (since I have already "protected" two cubes, which is all the rulebook says to do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey Grayson
United States
Seaside
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Answer is no.

d10-2 Answer is Yes.

I see what you are driving at, so I'll stick by my previous explanation, but add to that: the power of the WHO card isn't diminished, it just goes after the first four cubes and then stops (or whatever number it tells you to remove). Hopefully you can protect those first four cubes with your resistance.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Acres
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
“Remove 4 disease cubes from any cities you are currently infecting.”
Do these cubes have to be mine, or can they be anyone's on a city I'm infecting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
badge
What a productive day!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it's your own cubes, but I only reached this conclusion because other cards specifically say "Another player". Since that WHO card doesn't say "another player's" cubes I've taken it as meaning my own cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boonast wrote:
“Remove 4 disease cubes from any cities you are currently infecting.”
Do these cubes have to be mine, or can they be anyone's on a city I'm infecting?

Yes, these cubes do have to be yours.

This has been discussed as some length in another thread here:http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1250572/cure-found

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darrell impey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
cjgrayso wrote:

Q: Once a city card is wiped out and it’s special action is taken (immediately or later) what is done with the card?
A: The city card is flipped face down on the table to show it has been eradicated.

When the city is flipped do the players that had cubes on that city get them back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darrell_UK wrote:
cjgrayso wrote:

When the city is flipped do the players that had cubes on that city get them back?

Yes they do . They are a limited resource, so you get the cubes back from eradicated cities and from effects that force you to remove cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Webster
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
If I can't solo it, I don't want it
badge
Beards and boardgames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming when all the player cards (the ones in the various colours) have been drawn and discarded, they are reshuffled and play continues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gray81 wrote:
I'm assuming when all the player cards (the ones in the various colours) have been drawn and discarded, they are reshuffled and play continues?

You are correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Hoopes
United States
New Freedom
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Does turn order rotate? Or does first player remain first throughout the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HoopCatCharlie wrote:

First player remains the same throughout, as far as I can see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey Grayson
United States
Seaside
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HoopCatCharlie wrote:

First player does not rotate. From my own experience, it's just as likely the last player will win as the first. However, you can create your own house rule if you like. Happy infecting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a question related to Event Cards:

My understanding of the rules is that each player must resolve the effect of the active Event Card each turn, good or bad. However, some Event Card effects modify base actions, while others are just random effects that happen during your turn.

For example, there's one that says I can advance my Incubation while spending 1 less card. Does this mean I must advance my Incubation level, assuming I have the cards to do it? If so, does it still cost one of my two actions to do this? Am I allowed to take a different action "first" if it will reduce my hand to the point that I cannot advance my Incubation level anymore?

I'm assuming that an effect which does not specifically correspond to one of the base actions will never cost an action to perform.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
I have a question related to Event Cards:

My understanding of the rules is that each player must resolve the effect of the active Event Card each turn, good or bad. However, some Event Card effects modify base actions, while others are just random effects that happen during your turn.

For example, there's one that says I can advance my Incubation while spending 1 less card. Does this mean I must advance my Incubation level, assuming I have the cards to do it? If so, does it still cost one of my two actions to do this? Am I allowed to take a different action "first" if it will reduce my hand to the point that I cannot advance my Incubation level anymore?

I'm assuming that an effect which does not specifically correspond to one of the base actions will never cost an action to perform.

You have to do what the card says, but they don't force you into doing any actions if I'm understanding it correctly.

So with your examples, you'd be forced to pay one less to increase your Incubation if you increase it (not much forcing needed there...), but you don't have to increase it on your turn at all.

Ta=o answer your q's in order: No, N/A, N/A, N/A.

A note on the last one; Events that take place during your turn can happen at a time of your choosing, so you can do other actions first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rohloff
United States
Ames
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carey

In the video you recorded with BGG tv you said that once you have cubes in a city it only cost 1 card to add more cubes.

I didn't find that in the rule book, but since you are the designer, I assume that was intended to be the rule.

Is it the official rule?

I can see how this would be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rohloffc wrote:
Carey

In the video you recorded with BGG tv you said that once you have cubes in a city it only cost 1 card to add more cubes.

I didn't find that in the rule book, but since you are the designer, I assume that was intended to be the rule.

Is it the official rule?

I can see how this would be helpful.

From page 3 of the rule book:
"City you are currently infecting: Discard 1 card whose color must
match the city you are currently infecting. Place your disease
cube(s) next to those already on the City card."

This was under the infecting a city portion, which is broken into two parts: Infecting a new city, and Infecting a city you are currently infecting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey Grayson
United States
Seaside
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Go by what Mike says. Thanks, Mike.

Carey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Carey says go with Mike, go with Mike!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rohloff
United States
Ames
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Carey and Mike.

I missed that somehow... *blushinh*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey Grayson
United States
Seaside
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rohloffc wrote:
Thanks Carey and Mike.

I missed that somehow... *blushinh*

Happens to me all the time. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
One thing which still bugs me is the precise moment you get disease cubes back into your supply when a city is eradicated. As they are a limited resource, this is important; and none of the rules questions and answers spell it out in all detail.

My questions:
— Consider an eradicated city with an immediate City card action. Do the cubes return to their owners a) immediately after scoring but before the action or b) after the action?
— Consider an eradicated city with a delayed City card action. Do the cubes return to their owners a) immediately after scoring or b) immediately before taking the action or c) after the action? (Granted case b) seems a wee bit contrived.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey Grayson
United States
Seaside
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
My questions:
— Consider an eradicated city with an immediate City card action. Do the cubes return to their owners a) immediately after scoring but before the action or b) after the action?

Resolve city eradication in this order:
1) The city is scored (for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place)
2) Disease cubes are returned to each player
3) Person who triggered the event takes the city's special action

cymric wrote:

— Consider an eradicated city with a delayed City card action. Do the cubes return to their owners a) immediately after scoring or b) immediately before taking the action or c) after the action? (Granted case b) seems a wee bit contrived.)

Disease cubes are returned after scoring, but before the city's special action is taken.

Hope this helps.

Carey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for the clarifications. I apologise for being a bother, but could you please pick a letter option for the second case, as I can still choose between a) and b) meeple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey Grayson
United States
Seaside
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
Thanks for the clarifications. I apologise for being a bother, but could you please pick a letter option for the second case, as I can still choose between a) and b) meeple.

Sure. I think I see what you're driving at now. Let's return to your question:

We have an eradicated city with a 'delayed' City card action. When do the disease cubes get returned?

The disease cubes are returned immediately after scoring, but before taking the city's special action. NOTE: You do this on the same turn the city was eradicated regardless if it is a 'play now' or 'play later' city action.

I hope this helps.

Carey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.