3 Posts

Alcatraz: The Scapegoat» Forums » Variants

Subject: Everyone have the full plan =/= end of the game variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patryk Zukowski
Poland
flag msg tools
To me this whole "oh, we have the plan, we win, you lose" aspect which ends the game is not very fun or satisfying, even for the winners. I just got an idea for a different rule.

What if the game would not end when all elements are aquired? What if the game would still play to the very end (when all 21 guards come), so the weakest link still has a chance of winning? Here are a few ideas how to do that:

1) when all the elements are aquired, the weakest link immidiately becomes the scapegoat with +3 AP bonus (alternative 1: scapegoat starts with +1, then +2, +3 every next round and resets to +1 again, then +2, +3 every round etc.; alt 2: starts with +1, then +2 and then +3 till the very end; I just came up with this whole variant and didn't test, so I don't know which would be more balanced)

2) the scapegoat can now steal parts of the plan from other players (for 1 AP, only one part per player), but cannot steal cash anymore

3) other players can steal parts of the plan from scapegoat as well, but only from him. Other stealing mechanics still apply to non-goat prisoners (which means a non-goat prisoner can steal only once per turn: cash from any player, or part of the plan from scapegoat) (alternative: every player can steal parts of the plan from every other player, scapegoat once per player, other players once per turn)

The game plays till the last guard comes to play and now the players resolve the ending.

I will most certainly test it, just not in a very near future, maybe in a week or two. Then I will post my impressions. Also, if you think it's worth testing and you do test it - post your impressions. I'm very courious if this has any legs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As an author of the game I encourage you to try. We had an idea for an "alternate ending" to be released in the next expansion - but sadly that didn't happen We also felt that the ending falls a bit flat.

The idea was: a player left behind, now becomes a "snitch", and takes control of the guards, and other players now have to "beat him". There were special tasks planned that required "letters" as well as items, and a balancing system that gave the "snitch" more power if he was chosen scapegoat freaquently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Zukowski
Poland
flag msg tools
That's actually a clever idea. Maybe it's possible to implement it somehow. I will try to think of something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.