Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Good place to buy quality starting kit for painting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Lowe
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey all, as I near the completion of my minis (very slowly but surely) I realize that my figs don't have very much variance in color, and although it's my first paint I feel like I could be doing a better job with better brushes and more/better paints.

Are there any mini-paint complete kits of any kind? I'm still not certain I'm going to make painting minis a long term thing if I suck bad enough lol! But if I do after this game it would be nice to have something I can just know I have at least a good starting point.

So far all I've bought are brushes and paints from craft stores to get me going, just in case I ended up hating doing it. To be clear, I do enjoy it, but crap painted minis are no fun to play with, so there's where the possibility of not painting comes into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
The Army Painter Mega Paint Sets are a good starting point.
At least for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Edwards
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What colours do you have? You need the primary and secondary colours (as bright and saturated as possible) as well as white and black and some browns as a starting point. From that you can make a lot of hues, shades and tones.

This video series will give a good idea about how to get the most from your pallette and how to come up with well contrasting colour schemes.

This set has a lot of useful colours.

Edit: Of course more pigment colours is always better... But if you find painting enjoyable, then your paint collection will grow fairly quickly anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This:
http://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter-Matte-White-Primer/dp/B00...

And this:
http://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter-Mega-Paint-Set/dp/B00HC9Y...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper Learn to Paint Kit 1: Drybrushing and Washing has been released. FRPGames is out-of-stock. Reaper Miniatures sells it at MSRP, but, in December, should have its "12 Days of Reaper" promotion.

A good brush is more important than paint. Check the local art store or game store for a Winsor and Newton Series 7 Size 1 and/or Size 0 brush. Or buy Raphael 8404 Size 0, Size 1, and Size 00 (or Size 2/0) from Jackson Arts. Stick shock: These brushes can cost $10 to $15, but are a much easier to use than several craft store brushes (which you can still use for workshorse tasks like washing and drybrushing).

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=89774
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Morse
msg tools
The Army Painter Mega Set is a perfect starting place. I got lucky a couple years ago and picked it up at FRP on sale for $60, but haven't ever seen it that cheap again.

The brushes are good (although not Windsor and Newton by any stretch); quite good for learning technique without the concern about ruining an extremely expensive brush. I tend to still use the Regiment brush for base coating and grinding out large areas.

The paints for the most part are high quality (the only stinker I can think of is Daemonic Yellow) and the ink shades will be your go-to for getting an army on the table quick.

Don't forget to pick up some of this

http://www.amazon.com/General-Company-Masters-Cleaner-Preser...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on the Reaper kit, that is a great deal. Look here at Amazon to get other sets from the HD line, about the same price:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Series-Density-29801-29818-2983...

That's an example. There are others if you look around on Amazon.

That primer above is great, but I tend to use Design Masters gray that I get at Micheal's for about $7 a can. It has yet to fail me, and gray works better for me. Really nice stuff.

That brush soap is a MUST! +1.

I use Liquitex inks for washes, carbon black 337 and burnt umber for flesh. Also, I have found this for thinning and making washes is really almost indispensable:

Have fun!

EDIT:

I just wrote this guide on the very subject of starting out painting with cheapo supplies. One thing I can tell you is that those crappy hobby paints are in fact useful, if you use the correct additives. By adding Flow Aid and that liquid Matte I listed above, you can really improve the quality of those cheap paints, nearly up to the level of some high end hobby paints. Check out my guide for more info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lowe
United States
California
flag msg tools
Sweet, thanks everyone! I'm kind of developing my method as I go. I think for these minis I'm just going to accept whatever pain job comes out of it. I can't expect to do a professional job my first time, after all.

The guide definitely taught me that I've been using bad sealer. All of my minis have that shiny look to them afterward, so i'll have to eventually get the right kind, but again im already more than halfway into it, changing it up now would just make the set look more silly.

I'll post a bunch of pictures when I eventually finish them up, and i'll see if I can get a vet to point out what all I went wrong on for next time. I figure this is the best way to learn, just do it, and then have a peer review and correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kajidourden wrote:
i'll have to eventually get the right kind, but again im already more than halfway into it, changing it up now would just make the set look more silly.

Testor's Dullcote goes over top of gloss. I like to put a gloss sealer on, wait a few days, then put dullcote on to cut all the shine. If you DO want shine on SOME parts, then use a paintbrush and brush-on gloss sealer to do eyes, slimy bits, bottles, gems, what-have-you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giancarlo Amente
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
...because if I can't win, you can't either! :)
badge
OH...OH...OH....OH...OVERTEXT!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
WN Series 7 and Raphael 8404s are basically impossible to find since the ban in the US on Kolinsky Sable brushes went into effect. I have been using the Raphael Kaerell brushes with great success lately. They are the only synthetic brush that I have found to have the same snap back as a kolinsky brush. They don't last as long, but these days beggars can't be choosers. You can still get Kolinsky but it will cost you an arm and a leg.

It is true though, the brush is the single most thing that will get you better results. What kinds of paints you are using won't matter as much in the beginning. A good brush though will give you that added control you probably are seeking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.