Subject: Gain grit and immediately reuse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniele Silvi
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If i gain a grit durint a successful test (i.e. Cunning test, with the magnifying glass), can i use immediately the grit just gained to repeat part of the roll???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Shada
msg tools
you only gain grit from rolling a 1 on your move

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Munro
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
leles wrote:
If i gain a grit durint a successful test (i.e. Cunning test, with the magnifying glass), can i use immediately the grit just gained to repeat part of the roll???

I would think that you cannot use Grit on a roll that gave you that Grit, seeing as how you already let the roll resolve in order to receive said Grit in the first place. Seems to me like using a Grit to re-roll a die from a prior turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Cartwright
Australia
Gordon Park
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why would you re-rolled the movement die that gave you the Grit when you can spend a grit to add +D6 to your movement.

I assumed you could do this after rolling- I'm at work so can't check the rules but I'm 99% sure the rules cater to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Nordberg
msg tools
I think you should be able to. You "just rolled" this with nothing inbetween, and you now have that grit to spend. I can't make an official ruling or anything, but I would certainly allow it at our table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can use grit as soon as you receive it, but not to modify the roll that gave you the grit as that roll is now passed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The results of the roll do not apply until all rolls and rerolls are done.

Therefore, the Grit isn't gained until the roll is completed and the final results tallied, and thus is not be able to be used for the same roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaides wrote:
you only gain grit from rolling a 1 on your move

There is a wide variety of other ways of gaining grit. [Bandits Gain Grit on a move roll of 2 as does every one in Targa, Saloon Girls with a Crisp Rose gain it on a move roll of 6, If you have a Pipe then the first successful Lore test of a turn gets you 1 Grit etc,etc. ]

Though in general they are after the trigger.

IIRC the Pipe and the Looking Glass gain Grit once you pass a Tests of an Ability and so wouldn't gain the Grit in time to be able to use it on the Test since the test isn't passed until after you reroll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Silvi
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated above, there are a lot of ways to obtain grit. Much depends on the combo grant4ed by cards.

Second: let me clarify the situation, 'cause I was a little unclear.
The Spyglass allows to recover a grit whenever a cunning test is successfully passed. If I'm in Town, at the Saloon location, and i perform the action to play cards (poker i suppose...) I have to pass a cunning test and I gain as much money as successfully dice I have (5 or more...or 6..I don't remember). So... I throw 4 dice, 1 is a six and the test is passed, I gain the grit, and NOW I want to improve my performance, re rolling the remaining dice.

That's it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cully
United Kingdom
Stonehouse
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this gets covered by the earlier comment, that you need to complete the roll, before gaining the grit. So, you correctly pass the test on one die, but you cant then spend the grit that you gain in that test, to make the other dice a better pass.

That's the way I'd be playing it, anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The others are correct - a test isn't passed or failed until all re-rolls are completed.

Also, I don't have the card handy to check, but is the spyglass one of those items that says 'once per turn'? If it does, it can't be used in town.

Quote:
‘Once Per Turn’ Items in Town:
Items/Abilities that say once per Turn may not be used in Town (for that they need to say ‘per Day in Town’ or ‘per Town Stay’).

This was clarified by Jason in an earlier rules thread, and the question came up because of someone using a 'gain a grit on a successful X test' ability in town.

(Found it - the item was a Looking Glass, and here's Jason's post.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Silvi
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Oh! Good! I didnt know this. Thanks guys! ))))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.