Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if I posted this already.. I've got so much stuff on my brain right now, I'm losing track.

So I moved from California to Utah a couple years ago, and most of my stuff has been in storage in CA since then. I'd like to get it to Utah in the most cost effective way possible. I've looked into PODs that would cost over $2000, Greyhound that would cost maybe $600+, but would have to be met at their station, which would be an added expense. A U-haul was an option, when I had someone to drive it, but apparently that's not going to work now.

I have 40-50 boxes (office storage type boxes) plus some odder sized things, like plastic totes, my SCA gear (armor, weapons, etc) and who knows what else.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
moving sucks.

-DK

(dibs?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting to CA and moving it back yourself with U-Haul is out of the question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Since you are considering all options, and time pressure doesn't seem to be a large factor, here are a few ideas:

1. It could be worth your time to check with one of the freight companies to see how much it would cost to transport your stuff. There might be some considerable savings if you could palletize the boxes ahead of time, and you can probably get point to point transport from your storage room to your new driveway.

2. If you calculate an estimated volume for the boxes, you may find that everything would fit into one of the small rental trucks that are close to an SUV in size and have the box-type freight area, which you could drive for yourself. You might be surprised just how much can be packed into one of those vehicles with neat packing and stacking.

3. You might be able to find someone to freelance and drive a truck for you, if a larger vehicle is required. There's bound to be plenty of guys like me who can drive a truck and wouldn't mind picking up some pocket money, but of course you'd have to add in the vehicle rental and fuel costs as well.

4. You might even find someone planning to rent and drive a truck to move from somewhere close to your old area to somewhere near your new area, since it seems that you have flexibility in timing, and share expenses with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Snags I'm running into..

Renting a U-haul and driving it myself won't work. My wife, baby and I are making a trip to California next week, but there's no way she'll drive 14 hours back with the baby in a car by herself.

Tried getting someone else to drive it out here.. original idea was for my stepfather to tow it in a trailer, but that fell through because of my mom's health. Everyone else has declined or can't get time off work.

Can't take the time off myself to make a second trip (like a flight out and drive the U-haul back.

And my car is a little Kia.

So far, the best we're seeing is renting a minivan for the trip next week and getting as much as we can into it.. but that leaves behind probably half of it.

And to make it more important, I have games and game-related items in that storage, so I want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming a U-Haul can have a baby seat in the center of the bench seat, do the round trip in one. Another option might be a commercial-style van, like a Ford Transit. Or haul the Kia back on a tow bar behind a truck?--check with Kia about towing the car.

It may make cost sense to fly to CA and drive the rented truck back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
Snags I'm running into..

Renting a U-haul and driving it myself won't work. My wife, baby and I are making a trip to California next week, but there's no way she'll drive 14 hours back with the baby in a car by herself.

Tried getting someone else to drive it out here.. original idea was for my stepfather to tow it in a trailer, but that fell through because of my mom's health. Everyone else has declined or can't get time off work.

Can't take the time off myself to make a second trip (like a flight out and drive the U-haul back.

So far, the best we're seeing is renting a minivan for the trip next week and getting as much as we can into it.. but that leaves behind probably half of it.

And to make it more important, I have games and game-related items in that storage, so I want it.

What kind of vehicle do you own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

First buy this and start practicing.

Pack & Stack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
MilesF wrote:
Snags I'm running into..

What kind of vehicle do you own?

I completely missed the Kia comment.

Can you rent a van with a trailer hitch and a U-Haul trailer, like Koldfoot suggested, Between the two, you should be golden. (should being the word of the day)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:

Since we're just kicking the ball around to look for ideas....

How about, since you are already planning that trip, renting a truck just large enough to carry everything back in one swell foop, and towing the car home.

You could use one of those small low-boy trailers where you drive the front wheels of the car onto the trailer and secure it with heavy duty straps. They'll surely have one right at the truck rental place.

An added plus is that all the family and baby supplies for the trip stay right in the car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Ann Harrison
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:

I have 40-50 boxes (office storage type boxes) plus some odder sized things, like plastic totes, my SCA gear (armor, weapons, etc) and who knows what else.

Any thoughts?

California to Utah isn't really that far -- are you sure you can't do the U-haul option? SCA stuff often isn't easily replaceable -- If I were you, I'd want to transport it myself to make sure nothing happened to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borrow whatever your stepfather was going to tow a trailer with, and lend him your Kia. Swap cars back when time permits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.