Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Five Tribes or Village rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ritmom three
msg tools
Hi! I'm trying to wrap up my holiday shopping and need some advice.

Our current collection: Settlers and Expansions, Puerto Rico, Dominion and Expansions, Citadels, Carcasonne, Ticket to Ride, Princes of Florence, Goa, Navegador, Ages of Empires, 7 Wonders, Agricola, LeHavre, Glen More, Brass, Power Grid, Hansa Teutonica, Kingsburg, CofB, Tzolkin Mayan Calendar, Power Grid, El Grande, Race for Galaxy, Lords of Waterdeep, Stone AGe, Glory to Rome, Bohnanza, Alhambra, Small World, Cyclades, Battle Line, San Juan, Terra Mystica, Suburbia, Ra, Dungeon Petz, Galaxy Trucker, Macao, Civilization, The Resistance, (We enjoy them all. With our older boys in college, we primarily play with 3 players, but 2 player to 5 player games all get played often!)

This year's planned purchases: Troyes, Trajan, Dominant Species, Lewis and Clark.

Need help deciding between: Five Tribes or Village??

(And, on a different note, also trying to decide between Sheriff of Nottingham or One Night Ultimate Werewolf?)

(Any suggestions on further additions to our collection are always appreciated!)

THANK YOU!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Shut Up and Sit Down review of 5 Tribes is great for seeing two strongly held and different opinions about it. I have played Village, but I wouldn't play it again without the Village Inn expansion.

The games I love (Terra Mystica, Agricola, CoB, Bruges) are all about building something fantastic. Village is an enjoyable game, but it doesn't give me the sense that I'm actually accomplishing anything other than squeezing points out of my workers before killing them off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Knorr
United States
Cherry Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Five Tribes is a good game, after we played a four player game we all agreed that it was well made. Here's a mini review:
-components: the wood bits are inspiring, the tiles are competent and the cards are great.
-gameplay: the game is tactical, but each turn feels productive. All the meeples and such make the game a bit fiddly and all the moving parts make it a medium weight game.
Fun Factor: the bidding, bits and play time make this abstract game engaging.
Value: good re-playability, I can't advice on scalability, but the tile count makes for a competitive four player game.

Looking at the games you already own and want I would go for Troyes as it is a superior game to Five Tribes in my opinion. It is a great 2 player or 3 player game that plays quick and has a lot of good choices. The iconography and play mechanics are a little terse, but well worth the learning curve. Plus you get to roll a lot of dice in a game where luck is a small factor.

To diversify your games I would deeply consider Keyflower(bidding, very scalable, awesome expansions), Alien Frontiers (Dice worker placement, Territory control, Fun unlike Kingsburg, scalable), Robinson Crusoe (Thematic, tense, Plays quick 2-3 players) Railways of the World( because this train game is actually more fun than brainy, huge., the map expansions are awesome and make it very scalable.) Lords of Waterdeep expansion. And Claustrophobia because it is a miniatures game that is very easy to play it has a quick play time and is a lot of fun.

Don't be mislead by cult of the new, an amazing game is better than a shiny new good game. One Night Ultimate Werewolf is a no brainer with a group that likes to chat it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I like both games, I gotta go with Village. I've loved every game I've played of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Iliev
Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Five Tribes, but its more passive game but the game exploits weak plays from from the other people. We play with 1 minute timer since the game changes quite a lot before each play you can't really say the last player has advantage of using looking at the board longer.

And Sheriff of Nottingham for more interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Owens
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both Five Tribes and Village, and while we are playing 5 Tribes more right now, it's mainly because it's new and shiny. Long term I would say Village has more strategic depth, which is what you seem to lean towards based on your collection. Five Tribes is much more tactical and doesn't play as well for long term strategy. It sure is pretty though.

Also because you already have The Resistance I would lean towards Sheriff over One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Again I bought it and will play One Night with a different crowd than I play The Resistance with, but they are close enough that you probably don't need both, whereas Sheriff brings something new. If anything I think One Night is a watered down Resistance. It definitely doesn't have the same amount of debate or escalation, at least with our group.

I also think you should check out Bruxelles 1893 as you seem to enjoy Worker Placement and it adds a nice twist. Also Madeira.

Cheers,

Kenny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Five Tribes better than Village. Thematically I think Village is stronger, but I like the mechanics is Five Tribes. It`s new and innovative, at least for me. I got to try it this weekend. It was fun! Easy to learn, but still deep enough that you needed to really think strategies, plan your moves carefully and all. If only the djinn were a bit clearer...but I didn`t really think about it during the game. That was pointed out to me after the game.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Five Tribes for me, and I think most of my game group would agree. It feels like a much quicker game, and there's nothing else like it in my collection. Whereas with Village, even tho it's not a typical worker placement game, I feel like there are other games that scratch that itch that I'd rather play.

Either game will make you feel like a bad person, if you're thinking about the theme too deeply. The Village rewards you for killing off your family members (through the passage of time), so long as you do it in the right locations. Five Tribes rewards you for sacrificing old dudes to enlist the powers of evil genies, not to mention the slaves with chains around their necks that you can acquire along with a bag of wheat at the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ritmom three
msg tools
Thank you to everyone for all of your thoughts. I really appreciate your time and great input!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oilerfan wrote:
The games I love (Terra Mystica, Agricola, CoB, Bruges) are all about building something fantastic. Village is an enjoyable game, but it doesn't give me the sense that I'm actually accomplishing anything other than squeezing points out of my workers before killing them off.

That criticism easily applies to Five Tribes as well as Village.

Based on one play of each, Five Tribes seems more appealing and like it adds more variety. Both games involve grinding out points, but killing your dudes just isn't that exciting after you try out the mechanic once in Village. Five Tribes at least gives you some neat opportunities for strong tactical plays and has a pretty pasted-on theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Symington
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Village is definitely a better game, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have plenty of games like Village, which is a game I like. You have nothing like Five Tribes, a game I like even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Winslow
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 5 Tribes one time(only because it's new) and Village/Inn many times. I like them both but here's where I see their strengths and weaknesses, and of course this is just my opinion:

Village: If you allow yourself you really get absorbed into the life of your family members and both their life and their death have meaning. I don't really have much negative to say, except maybe that when playing with new players, the experienced players have a great advantage. It does sometimes feel a bit like point salad since you earn VP in so many ways.

5 Tribes: I love the Mancala, a mechanic that is not used very often. The balance between the different colors is good. I love the camels and treeples. Those prone to AP will really slow this one down as there are so many ways you can go with the movement actions. While the theme is good, it doesn't really seep into the gameplay experience anyway even close to Village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, Five Tribes is just as much of a point salad as Village, if not more so. There's always something to do that will score you points - in fact, I didn't feel that there was all that much strategizing involved. It's a much more tactical game than Village. It has some interesting mechanics, and I think it's a good game, but I personally would rather play Village. Of course, other factors such as playing time and ease of teaching may also influence your decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.