Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Blake
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a really good pair of fantasy/horror weird west novels with a strong Lovecraftian theme that feel like they're right out of the SoB universe (or Wild West Exodus or Doomtown also for that matter). The author is R.S. Belcher. The titles are The Six-Gun Tarot (#1) and The Shotgun Arcana (#2). They must be read in order and both are excellent. I found them very entertaining and well-written. Check them out on Amazon. Has anyone else read these? They would really put you in the mood for play sessions of SoB. Fair warning on some graphic violence and adult themes though. These are most definitely not YA fiction. Highly recommended!

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Irons
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend The Good, the Bad, and the Infernal by Guy Addams as well as its sequel Once Upon a Time in Hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading The Sixth Gun and found it very entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mammal Pants
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools

Let's not forget this amazing manga; just to round this all out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Award winning writer Joe R. Lansdale (Bubba Ho Tep) has written more than a few "Weird West" stories over the years, including some of the best Jonah Hex stories you'll ever read. I highly recommend seeking them out. Many of his short stories, novels and graphic novels are available on the Kindle store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zelasco
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also the Deadlands Dime Novels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Blake
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the additional recommendations! I will check them out. If you like weird west stories though please check out Belcher. They're really good! Both books are very recent, having been published in 2014, so I wanted to get the word out about him to this audience.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the recommandation.
My FLGS has not been good at keeping up on books like these, so this thread is much appreciated!
Bought both books and The Sixth Gun hardcover comic. Now there is no more room for games in my budget.
But who cares? I got SoB

EDIT: For comic books I can also recommend Desperadoes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desperadoes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Blake
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anders - Yes, with SoB you're set for the next few years at least!

PlaidViking - I checked out The Heaven's Gate Chronicles from Gus Adams and it looks really interesting. Will have to try it. The final volume of the trilogy is due out on my b-day (Dec 30). Maybe that's an omen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Marcil
Canada
Leduc
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had just finished reading Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series (read them back-to-back) before the SoB KS came out and it was my inspiration to pledge for SoB. Even then I foresaw that the potential of the world of SoB is richer by far.

If you can stomach the raw writing style of the first couple of novels it isn't that bad of a story. Don't get me wrong they aren't super, great novels, and it was especially grating that King put himself in the later novels. But if you like a quest driven gunslinger (modelled after Clint Eastwood) with tunnel vision, and portals that lead to other times this may be a series for you.

BTW, thanks Tom, I have purchased the e-books for Belcher's titles that you recommended. Diving in the first one on my way home from work today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Blake
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read all 7 of the Dark Tower series a while back and enjoyed it. Volumes 1-4 were much better than than the 3 he did after his injury. The recent book that takes place between the 4th and 5th volume was excellent (Wind Through the Keyhole). Check that one out if you haven't read it.

Hope everyone enjoys Belcher that has picked them up! Let me know what you think. Looks like he has a 3rd volume in the series coming out next year. I look forward to it. He has some really excellent characters in this series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.