BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game suggestions for my wife rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Karpus
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife likes fantasy themed games more then other themes. We have played Small World and she likes it, except the fact of the decline factor. Having the unique races with powers and building up. But she does not like having to decline them just when she is starting to get attached to them. Any suggestions on something similiar, but allows the players to keep building up. (I would think something like Exodus Proxima or Twilight Imperium III, but fantasy themed instead). Secondly we have played some Descent and Thunderstone. The fantasy and dungeon crawl feel is something she likes and building up over time. We think the Thunderstone is a good game to get for the two of us. But anything recommended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set? I think it ticks all the boxes. It's fantasy themed, and talk about building up. You continue to build up your character through multiple plays. It's coop too, so no hard feelings. Might be worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaucio Siqueira
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars Arena is an awesome fantasy 2 player game. You can summon creatures and items, cast damage spells, buffs and curses. You build your spellbook before the match and all spells are available to you without relying on the luck of drawing. I recommend it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are willing to go heavyweight:

Mage Knight Board Game

E Many consider this to be the best solo game available, but it can also be played with 2 players in various variants and scenarios (including cooperatively or competitively variants). The replay value is high, the components are great. Each character is unique and you definitely have the feeling that they are gaining more power while leveling up.
Now to the cons: this game is super heavy in rules and complexity. It takes a long time to learn and even longer time to play a full game - even in solitaire mode.
If these points are no problem to you and your wife, then this game might be it.

Games I have not played yet, but worth checking out:

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game (1-2 players, cooperative)
Mice and Mystics (1-4 players, cooperative)
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set (1-4 players, cooperative)
Terra Mystica (2-5 players, competitive - heavy weight)
Dungeon Petz (2-4 players, competitive)
Dungeon Lords (2-4 players, competitive)

Although the theme is pasted-on, Lords of Waterdeep is a great worker placement game for 2-5 players.

Phew, quite a lot games that I can not provide any further/personal information on (although I learnt the rules on some of them), but I hope this was still inspiring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Karpus
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hulk can see ghosts, breathe underwater, and survive a nuclear bomb.
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCSE5I0Wp7c
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trial and erroring a lot of games with my wife. I'll give you a few games that are "Fantasy" that she loves and a few not. She loves theme. Not necessarily fantasy but just theme based. These are all great 2 player games that we love.

try lords of waterdeep or Kingsburg for a worker placement style game.

Seasons, Run fight or die, Tales of the Arabian nights, ticket to ride, quarriors, Wiz war(especially with the new expansion), Pagoda, lords of vegas... Some of our favorite games that scale great for 2 players. You may notice a theme of "Luck" and "Dice" because thats what she loves. I prefer it as well when playing against her because... Theres not a lot of animosity after the game is done when there is so much luck.... Also they go by pretty fast and all have good re-playability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Froelich
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play two-player fantasy games quite frequently. Some of her favorites include:

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords (coop, RPG elements)
Lords of Waterdeep (competitive worker placement)
Dominion (competitive deck builder)
Android: Netrunner (OK - this is Sci-Fi, not Fantasy - however, my wife LOVES this one, especially with the asymmetric play)
Eclipse (again, Sci-Fi - but you mentioned Twilight Imperium, and I personally think Eclipse is better for two-player)

Also, we play regular sessions of Mice and Mystics with our seven-year old daughter, but it could also play well as two players.

Although I have yet to play it, Hyperborea also looks like it might fit the bill (fantasy themed, races with special abilities, nice expansion mechanics, etc.). Also - Tiny Epic Kingdoms is a lot of fun as well, although I find it works best with three or four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe consider Ascension: Deckbuilding Game, easy deck building mechanics. It has a fantasy theme but its very light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.