United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been posted before.

I've just recently become addicted to crack Dice Masters. In the course of a week or so I've bought the starter and 36 boosters. This is my first collectible game, and I'm trying to get my head into the collectible gaming world. I never even collected baseball cards. I've never collected anything! Except church hymnals, but that's a bit different. haha

So how many cards of each character is "enough"? I see the gaming value of holding onto as many dice as possible (well, up to 4 for each/most character(s) anyway since that's usually the Max), but cards? If you play by the Highlander rule, which I think makes the most thematic sense, why do you need more than 1 card for each character? Or is the general opinion that you definitely do NOT need more than 1 card per character?

I was intending to hold onto 2 cards for each character and try to offload the rest in trades, but I'm starting to wonder why. How many cards do you aim to hold onto indefinitely for each character?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first collectible game as well, I plan on holding onto one of each card in the set, still need 12 rares and 2 super rares, but when I play there are a lot of cards I most likely wont ever use. I just like to have the option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only need one of each rarity (or version in the case of starter set characters), unless you are a supplier as well as a user, then you need more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only play with one copy of a card for a character. The only reason you'd want to own a second copy is to let your opponent borrow it. Or I guess to try to sell a complete set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you are doing with your set.

If you are buying for yourself, then you want one copy of each rarity of a given character (3-4 cards per character). While you cannot play 2 different Cyclops cards in the same team, each version of Cyclops has its utility. You may find Cyclops A works well with cards X, Y, Z and Cyclops B works well with cards 1, 2, 3.

Do you need every card? No, but I would keep as much of variety as you are able to find. Why not have choices?

Dice, it is the same thing. If you are collecting just for yourself, you only need to keep the maximum allowed (usually 4). I keep a spare for each, just in case I lose a die.

NOW - If you are collecting to play with a partner (spouse, child, sig other, friend), then you may want to keep twice the number I described above because you can play mirrored against each other (Cyclops A on both teams) so you will need cards and dice or at least the same character but a different version (Cyclops A vs Cyclops B) will require the same dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter, your back. How's it going? Are you playing again?

Back on the topic, what kc2dpt said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I wasn't entirely clear, I am collecting the different versions of each character, just considering how many dupes to keep. I like the idea of perhaps collecting a full second set (or close to it?) over time and perhaps selling it, so that's a good point. Maybe I'll stick with 2 each for a while and see how it goes. I was already considering getting a second starter just for the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, you only NEED one of each rarity, but if you have a back-up, just in case something happens to the first card, that isn't always a bad thing (though given what you could get for a super rare, I am not sure I would keep a back-up of those).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryce kartchner
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sure is nice to have a couple of specific cards that you like when deck building so that you can construct a couple of decks with the same card in the deck. For instance, I used to use Gambit, Ace in the Hole, quite a bit. I had several cards, and I was able to construct several decks with the card. It is a pain to search through one deck to steal one card for another deck. I just love having more than one deck built at a time. This also helps when playing with a partner who is not addicted to the game. My wife likes the game ok, and she is happy to play. I always have a deck constructed for her to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkartchner wrote:
It sure is nice to have a couple of specific cards that you like when deck building so that you can construct a couple of decks with the same card in the deck. For instance, I used to use Gambit, Ace in the Hole, quite a bit. I had several cards, and I was able to construct several decks with the card. It is a pain to search through one deck to steal one card for another deck. I just love having more than one deck built at a time. This also helps when playing with a partner who is not addicted to the game. My wife like the game ok, and she is happy to play. I always have a deck constructed for her to play.

Next level! haha I've never owned a game where you build decks you like for yourself like this and never considered it. I just have my cards in an album and pull them out for play. But yes, I definitely see the value in doing what you describe. Another good point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacullu64 wrote:

I found an Uncanny starter at retail price so I bit. It played exactly like I had always hoped for: quick, slugging it out back and forth, no aggravating powers, close finish. Played maybe 5 games total so far and enjoyed every one. Bought a few boosters and got a common-set coming in the mail. Uncanny just seems to be way better balanced than AvX. My biggest fear at this point is coming across a card which breaks that balance. But the wife and I agree if that happens we'll just put it aside and play with what we enjoy.

My only gripe is the awful colors on the basic-action dice. OMG! So horrible!

How's it going with you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
Uncanny just seems to be way better balanced than AvX. My biggest fear at this point is coming across a card which breaks that balance.

UXM is much much more balanced.

With AvX I found I put together one team (a Beast/Storm/Torch control-burn team) and that was it (if I had the 'big two' Super Rares I'd've perhaps made 1 other).

With UXM I keep on coming up with new ideas for teams virtually every day.

And I've yet to find a card that breaks the balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
Tacullu64 wrote:

I found an Uncanny starter at retail price so I bit. It played exactly like I had always hoped for: quick, slugging it out back and forth, no aggravating powers, close finish. Played maybe 5 games total so far and enjoyed every one. Bought a few boosters and got a common-set coming in the mail. Uncanny just seems to be way better balanced than AvX. My biggest fear at this point is coming across a card which breaks that balance. But the wife and I agree if that happens we'll just put it aside and play with what we enjoy.

My only gripe is the awful colors on the basic-action dice. OMG! So horrible!

How's it going with you?

Glad to hear you took the plunge again and even happier to hear you're enjoying yourself this time. While you know I didn't have any problems with AvX, even I can see how much more accessible UXM is, especially for those mostly interested in playing it casually.

Don't get me started on those colors, although I am glad to have 4 new colors for the action dice. It will make multiplayer easier.

Been busy with OP events for both STAW and DM, including a trip to the WKO in Littleton. I was finally able to free up some time for some casual gaming these passed 2 weeks. Been having fun with some theme teams in dice masters using mostly UXM, and just getting started with D&D Attack Wing, nothing serious just trying to learn it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is turning me on to the game is the fact how affordable the starter set is, being I'm a budget gamer I will have to settle for the starter set for a while. I haven't checked with my local hobby shop but I remember seeing it the last time I was there. I really want to try it out and the more I see reviews/pictures/how-to-videos the more I become sold on it. I love rolling dice, there is something about it, whether it brings back deja vu from reliving a past-life memory from the hard skreets of south central, LBC or maybe its just that I truly am a geek at heart. Is the starter set enough to satisfy a few games before you are wanting more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VortExodus wrote:
What is turning me on to the game is the fact how affordable the starter set is

Yeah, that grabbed me too. About $40 more dollars ago. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacullu64 wrote:

Back on the topic, what kc2dpt said.
Oh no, I hope you get well soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thompson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to get up to three copies per card. I like to have one mint for my collection (and my tournament teams), then two copies of every card to play around with (one for me and one for my opponent, as most of the people I play with don't collect the game themselves). Then 8 dice for each character (4 apiece).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.